Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    OP Offline
    My dd days writing and math are as well. The teacher said that she thought babybear may not be challenged, but clearly after some trials dd just doesn't want to write. We have been through so many attempts at diagnosis and I am just not entertaining ADD at all. I read that there are atleast 50 issues that mimick ADD and until we rule them all out without success then I just don't want to hear it.

How does your ds do with computer or oral activities? DD does better orally since "hunt and peck" slows her down.

Isa Offline
    Hi Mamabear,

I just want to add that we too are doing vision therapy and it is definitively worth it.

Not being able to ride the bike can be due to those vision problems, I know that for my own experience. As an adult, my equilibrium was so bad that I could not stand on a chair or go up/down the stairs without holding to something. After vision therapy (as an adult) I have had not more problems anymore.

For DD, the regular ophthalmologist did not find anything wrong, but the behavioral optometrist did. We had very bad luck with the first one because she was 'playing psychologist' with DD in front of her but I found another one and now we do our exercises at home.

At the beginning those exercises were extremely difficult for DD and it was really difficult to motivate her - I had to use bribery - but now that she herself if noticing the improvement she is more and more into doing them.

In our experience it was better to start with very simple exercises and very very gradually increase the difficulty and give a lot of praise on how well she is improving.

off the track: Incogneato: if you like people who talk fast then you would love me wink

OP Offline
    http://www.incrediblehorizons.com/mimic-adhd.htm

Here's the link of 50 conditions that mimic ADD.

OP Offline
    I have really bad vision myself. So, I know how frustrating it can be! I can not drive a car! My vision issues are a different track though.(DD is adopted) If this works for DD, I know that she will finally be able to show her teacher what she is capable of. I feel terrible that we didn't find this route sooner!!!

But, I am trying to take my guilt energy and turn it into a positive learning experience for all involved: dd, family, teachers and the IEP team members, Hopefully it will help other children in the future as well!

Originally Posted by Mamabear
    http://www.incrediblehorizons.com/mimic-adhd.htm

Here's the link of 50 conditions that mimic ADD.

Thank you! This is a great link.

OP Offline
    Thank you! I hope it is helpful to many parents!

S
    S
    We met w/the dr Tuesday & she confirmed that her actual eyesight is fine. So she agreed w/our 2 eye dr checks in 2007. However, she recommends further testing due to some processing issues. She would say A if a V was shown, s for z type stuff. She mentioned something about her eyes focusing a lot during the tests. We have 2 appts for 1 hr tests each, then she'll sit down & have some answers after that.

I did wonder a little how many they say are fine w/no further testing needed but I also strongly believe there is something else going on w/DD8.

We've always said she is just set on a different speed than the rest of us. I think she had some sensory issues as a toddler that I never knew to address, numerous ear infections, tiny neat handwriting & mixes up words that are similar in meaning but totally different spellings when she reads.

OP Offline
    Update:
    We saw the Optometrist!! OH MY!!!

We are overwhelmed!! We are feeling like horrible parents for not getting to this point sooner!!!

We still have more testing and such before we have a final outcome with treatment, school recommendations, etc.

Again I want to thank everyone here for your responses!! As hard as it is to know that babybear has "significant perceptual deficits", it is encouraging that we have found the crux of her difficulties!

Hey, don't beat yourself up for not recognizing the problem sooner. You DID recognize it, and that's what counts. I think you're a good mom for recognizing it at all! It's not like you were neglecting her!

{{{hugs}}}

Here's to a bright future for Babybear! smile

Kriston
    OP Offline
    I hear what your saying...and the head will catch up with the heart at some point.

I do believe the future for babybear will be even brighter, when she comprehends what she is seeing! (lol).

Thank you for your encouragement!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM