Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    OP Offline
    Absolutely!! She will be evaluated before Thanksgiving. I don't plan on sharing with the Pediatrician until ALL testing by the "other professionals" is done!!

Thank You Thank You Thank You!!! This has been a 4 struggle thus far!! This could be the key we have searched for?! (try to be cautiously optimistic!)

OP Offline
    Are there any "In the mean time" accomodations the teacher could make? She seems very willing!

Originally Posted by Mamabear
    it takes babybear 30 minutes to copy 5 spelling words 3x each (poorly).

Oh my that does sound like DS10!!!! He has always had such trouble copying anything and I'd get so frustrated with him and wonder why on earth when it was right in front of him, he just couldn't copy it right!!!!! Imagine how guilty I felt when I learned he literally couldn't copy it right. <sigh> The vision therapy helped him tremendously, especially in the perception area - he tested 100% in that after therapy!!! I think he needs more help in the tracking area but he burned out after 6 months of therapy and we've had some other things going on that have kept us from going back. I am hopeful to get him retested in a few weeks and see if he does need more therapy for the tracking. It is WAY better than it was, but I think he could maybe use some more help and since it has already helped so much, I'd like to see it all the way through. Anyway, I hope you find a good doctor near you and that you get some answers. Keep us posted!!!

I didn't see your last post. My DS10's teacher was fantastic last year. She let him have extra time to do tests and other assignments if needed, also I came up with graph sheets for his math assignments since he had such trouble lining numbers up. The graph sheets really helped him keep the numbers in line. She checked his agenda to make sure he had copied everything down properly since he had such trouble with copying and basically she was just fantastic about helping anyway she could. Definitely take advantage of this if the teacher is willing to help!

OP Offline
    As I said in a previous post, I am trying to be cautiously optimistic...but now I border on...."THIS IS IT!!!"

EandC - I do know the guilt. We have been told that we needed parenting classes to "handle her" (not so), that she needed more spankings (NOT DOING THAT), That we have too high expectations and she is just lazy and slow. I KNEW that she needed none of these things and that she most definitely was NOT slow or lazy.

She is a "people pleaser" and I know that it just breaks her heart when she doesn't measure up to academic and peer expectations. She beats herself up over what she "can't do" and is now fabricating scenarios for what she thinks people want to hear, such as I got the training wheels off and I ride my bike. Well, yes training wheels are off, but she is scared to death of it now and doesn't ride it. She is 7 and it hurts that the 4 year old next door is riding his bike. We are told that this has to do with her visual issues as well.

Do I feel guilty? More that I care to admit. I am just hoping that this is the right path for her and that she her skills can catch up to what she holds in her mind. I KNOW she is quite bright.

Again, Thank you for your responses!!!!

S
    S
    Originally Posted by snowgirl
    Yes, BTDT with DD7. We found the right optometrist at www.covd.org . We did the testing when dd was about 6, just a couple months after having seen a pediatric opthamologist who had found no problems. (The testing that the behavioral optometrist will do is different from a regular checkup.) DD did 6 months of vision therapy (weekly therapy sessions plus daily vision homework). She can see better than I can now smile And, she showed dramatic improvement with her reading during that time.
    smile

Thank you so much for that link!!! I took DD8 to 2 diff. drs last yr thinking maybe vision was the reason for reading difficulties. Both said her vision was fine then she failed the school screening this year. Maybe it's gotten bad in a year but she has some other issues as well with school (she's not my HG kid). There is a dr less than 1 mile away! I'm so excited to call on Monday for an appt. I just have hope that based on her issues, we might find some answers there.

OP Offline
    Steph

I hope this information is as useful to you as I hope it is for me!

Good Luck!!!

Q
    Q
    Okay, count us in. Finally decided to give it a try and DS8 started vision therapy this past Thursday. We also bought the "HTS Computerized Home Vision Therapy." He loved the in office visit, but had a hard time with the home version. It wasn't adjusted for him yet, so it's possible it was longer than it would have been. Here's hoping. All the professionals I spoke to said it's untested, probably bogus - but based upon the personal experiences I've read about here, I figured might as well try it. Worth the $$$ if it works. Also, I was thinking about what makes my DS tired - writing, math computation which involves writing, finding the little pieces in big tubs of pieces at robotics... Hmmmmm.

OP Offline
    I would rather try this and than jump on the "give the kid a pill" bandwagon right away. (not "fightin' words for those who have chosen medication)

Hope it works out for your DS - questions!! My dd7 gets evaluated in two weeks!! I can't wait!

Q
    Q
    Thanks. We are homeschooling using a teacher and she sees "serious attention issues" that revolve around writing. I've also been told that perhaps the problem is he's not challenged. He quite clearly says he's bored and the work is too easy and repetitive and that he can't help it, his brain shuts off on the boring stuff. We're in the same boat, it seems.

Good luck to you, too.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM