Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #2979 08/09/07 07:19 PM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    were on the slippery slope side of summer.
    school starts in 3 weeks. ugh.
    what's everyone been up to? i've been without my computer. it's been lonely:)

i'm trying to figure out what to do at the first IEP meeting. we have a pretty good IEP in place. now we need to see implementation.

mite's handwriting has deteriorated severely over the last 6 months. i'm not sure whether we should push for remediation or not.

he is typing at 20 wpm, but i am pretty sure the district's AT will only test composition speed, which at this poin is slower because he hasn't loads of practice organizing his while typing. so we'll see about that.

he has a laptop now!!! he adores it and he wants to use his neo keyboard at school rather than writing. i think he knows there is regression in his writing and it worries him.

he's not too keen on going back to school, though. he's been pining about it the last few days. homeschooling is not an option yet. trying though.

oh!! he starts the Listening Program in 2 weeks. we keep trying to get it started but because of schedule interuptions the OT didn't want to give it ago until we can do 8 weeks straight at 30 minutes a day. wish us luck!!

there's more. we've done a ton this summer. but my laptop is dying yet again.

Willa Gayle
    willagayle #2981 08/10/07 06:09 AM
    Hi Willa Gayle,
    Welcome back!
    I hope Mite enjoyed his trip.
    DS11 is looking forward to school starting for the first time ever, but with some mixed feelings.

20 WMP is a big accomplishment for Mite, but i wouldn't worry about his abiility to organize his thoughts while he types until he is up around 35 WMP. Between you and I, WPM speed and his soul are about the only things I would consentrate on right now. The rest of the learning will come once the Keyboard Fariy visits.

DS11's handwriting improved dramatically this year, after a year of almost only keyboarding. "Everyone" says that they need practice to improve. Clearly this is not true for all kids in all situations every time. Sometimes increases in other areas "carry over." Sometimes it's just a matter of growing up a bit more. For DS11, it think that when he does write, say, to copy down a favorite URL, or some instructions for me or his future self, he is really really motivated to have it be readable. ((shrug)) YMMV. We did 4 fifteen minute sessions of Handwriting without Tears in late May. Maybe that helped?

It's a mystery to me.

((big welcoming smile))
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #2997 08/13/07 09:52 AM
    Hi Guys !!!
    We are also back from our summer trips. School start August 20.
    We did lots of camping this summer, which kids absolutely love. We also had two teenage cousins spending the summer with us - so it was an absolute immersion into the second language (or first ?) for my kids.
    Ghost will be starting 7th grade. There are going to be quite a few new teachers at his school - English, Science, Art, PE. He is also starting proper history class with a teacher (male) of whom I have heard totally opposing things. Some kids absolutely love him and some hate. My understanding is that his classes are mini seminars on the subject, kids have to take notes and study from them. There is a book, but he wants them to study from notes rather than the book. Will keep you posted on Ghost's impressions.
    I am toying with the idea of requesting that Ghost does some independent study in Science, but will have to get to know the teacher first. I have heard that she is a brand new grad from a masters program. Will see :-). At least when it comes to Math he won't have to juggle his schedule as he is finally oficially in middle school and taking Algebra II.
    The other week I picked up a few books at Costco, some of them from What Your ....Grader Needs To Know series. I bought them because I realized that my kids have never been introduced to a number of things (quite a number of things) from History/ Geography/ Art ,that this books contain as part of the Core Knowledge. I like to call it Classical Education rather than Core Knowledge. Anyone familiar with the series?
    Ania

Ania #3004 08/13/07 05:13 PM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi Ania,

I love those books! I've read the stories, poems, speeches, etc. to my kids and some of the science, history and music/art parts--very thorough and well organized...I re-learned alot in reading through. Our middle school uses the curriculum to integrate classes thematically, though we're not officially Core Knowledge "certified".

Camping sounds fun--we just got back from your neck of the woods: Utah (Lake Powell), which was amazing. My husband thinks it's the most beautiful place on the planet. Kids learned waterskiing and wakeboarding and did some fishing. Our school starts tomorrow!!! I'm so nervous for my freshman.

Cym

cym #3005 08/13/07 10:02 PM
    Hi Cym:
    Your husband and mine must be similar ;-) Mine also thinks this is the most beautiful place on earth, Utah that is. I like it OK, but I am a big city girl inside. SLC though is becoming quite cosmopolitan, and we are only 30 min away !
    We absolutely love Zion N.P.( spend almost every New Years there) and Great Basin N.P. in Nevada. Actually I was on top of Wheeler Peak two days ago, hard to believe right now!!! And no sore muscles (I stretched well :-)
    As for the What Your....Grader Needs To Know, isn't it great conversation starter? During violin lesson today I was reading intensly into 4 th grade book while Ghost was reading a sixth grade one. He was interested! And on the way back home my daughter was reading a poem by Blake! Outloud! So glad somebody else enjoys it too!
    How was the Duke experience for your son Cym (I think that is where he went)?
    School starts tomorrow??? And here I was thinking that our principal was insane! I am advocating no school before labor day weekend :-)
    Ania

Ania #3006 08/14/07 07:46 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    My son LOVED Duke TIP. He insists he's going back next summer and says that may be the only "camp" he does. He took Microeconomics on East Campus, and was happy to go to class 6 hrs a day (hard for me to imagine at age 12). The east campus dorms are not air conditioned (though commons areas and classrooms are) and I clearly remember how hot and humid summertime is in NC, but he loved it nonetheless. They had festivals and tours, state park visits, and lots of other activities. I really had hoped he'd try different campuses each summer as part of the college search, but he said the best part is going back year after year to build relationships with great people. There are so many course choices, so hopefully he'll try completely something different next summer.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM