Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #29717 11/06/08 10:44 AM
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Teacher conferences are coming up and I am debating about what to ask for in terms of math acceleration for DS. He is on track to finish all the second grade math facts before Dec. The second grade curriculum is quite a bit below his ability level.

I am considering asking for homework replacement, i.e. he is excused from the second grade homework to do homework at his level (3rd or 4th grade probably).

Am I aiming too low? Should I try for an in-school subject acceleration to 3rd?

Could you mention that he seems to have voraciously consumed most of the second grade curriculum already? I asked the school to administer an end of grade assessment(They told me they didn't have anything like that which is untrue and not the point here).

If they agree, let them do it and then ask what they suggest? Add your suggestions to theirs and see if you can work something out.

Your school sounds like they have been open and flexible so far havent' they?

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Incog, I will ask about an end of grade assessment. Thanks!

Kcab, there are several third grade teachers. We would have to discuss which class would work best. In the past, they have told me subject acceleration was off the table due to scheduling constraints. But maybe something could be worked out. So far, the in class accommodations have been:

1. He (and all the kids actually) are allowed to go at their own pace with math facts. If they pass a timed test, they go to the next level. If they finish the 2nd grade math facts, they go on to multiplication facts.

2. If he finishes the in class work ahead of everyone else he is allowed to work on his math homework (more of same) or sometimes do tangram puzzles. Otherwise, he can draw quietly.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dottie, do you mean 3rd grade placement in math or another full gradeskip? I don't think another full gradeskip will work until his motor skills catch up with his writing.

Also, he still sometimes reverses numerals when writing them. How would that go over in 3rd grade?

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, he is officially one grade accelerated. But most kids whose birthdays are in the fall are redshirted around here. DS' best friend (who is two weeks older than DS) started K this year. DS has a late November b-day; the cutoff is Dec 2.

I think it's too early for another full skip. Writing would be an issue. I'll revisit that in a year or two.

What about the writing issues (number reversals, difficult to write small) with regard to doing math a grade up?

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    You have a point--DD still does letter reversals in 4th grade and they seem completely sanguine about that...

I don't want to put DS in a situation that is frustrating for him, though.

Our school used curriculum based assessment when trying to determine a math placement. At the start of his 2nd grade year they gave him an end of the year assessment of the 3rd grade curriculum. His performance on that made the principal suggest subject accleration to 3rd grade math. For our school the subject acceleration (even whole grade acceleration) as been the best option because the principal doesn't want to demand "too much" of his teachers in terms of differentiation.

As for the letter and number reversals - be sure to provide a letter/number line in view at all times to help your child learn the correct way to write them. Most, not all, just need that visual reminder to turn it around. You can even just provide a visual cue with only the letters/numbers that are reversed if your child is consistent with just a few. If you don't correct them they never get corrected!

Cathy - I just got a brillient idea.
    Ask for him to be able to use his 'extra' Math time in school working on his keyboarding skill with some computer software!

Actually, I think subject acceleration to 3rd is the best idea, but if the school won't bite....get him going with typing, it saved my sanity and my DS's sanity too! My DS started learning at age 7, and it finally klicked in around age 9 - then he was ready for a full skip that would have been very difficult without the typing skills.

In 6th grade he typed everything, then last year, his fine motor skills kicked in and now he can write beautifully when he needs to - so much for 'If I let him type, then he'll never learn to write properly.'

Good luck
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    Incog, I will ask about an end of grade assessment. Thanks!

Kcab, there are several third grade teachers. We would have to discuss which class would work best. In the past, they have told me subject acceleration was off the table due to scheduling constraints. But maybe something could be worked out.

Please don't accept this answer...it was the same story for my daughter last year (4th grade). In 3rd grade students were ability grouped for math and my DD was in the accelerated group and thrived. I was told they could not do this in 4th grade due to scheduling and logistics. I'm kicking myself for not fighting harder at the beginning of the school year so essentially she coasted and lost an entire school year. At the end of 4th grade I had to really push the administration to make sure something was done for her for 5th grade. I suggested grade acceleration and was again told it couldn't be done due to scheduling. I was emphatic that this was not an acceptable answer and there had to be some solution. The GATE teacher said she would see what she could do. Well, lo and behold when school started this past fall it was discovered that they actually could work it out. My DD is in 5th grade and attends a 6th grade advanced math class at the middle school next door. She has done exceptionally well with this arrangement but I can't help but think that if I hadn't really pushed it never would have happened because nobody wanted to bother with it. Best wishes!

Shannon

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM