Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #296 08/05/06 12:48 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Should we accelerate Mite up a grade? We have found, as we have worked with him this summer, he is way more capable than 3rd grade, though there are some gaps.

With his dyspraxia affecting his oral reading and his writing, is it better to let him stay in the third grade gifted cluster or is it better to move him up a grade and hope that motivates him and increases his self-esteem?

We still don't know what the school district plans to do with him. We only know he will get an IEP and they will be providing scribes, oral word processing and the like. The initial IEP meeting isn't until a few days before school.

Willa Gayle
    #297 08/10/06 01:59 AM
    with your history of your older son, i'd think you'd want to? what do you feel, in your heart of hearts?

i say, better to struggle sooner than later

shrugg
    trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    #298 08/11/06 09:31 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    I think we should. Of course, since the school district only recognizes the full scale score for gifted...well, I don't know if they will do it.

homeschool is not an option right now. private school will be next year, but the closest one is nearly 30 minutes drive. Plus I've got to find a job to pay for it.

This is making me nuts. It feels like all I do night and day is study 2E, dyspraxia and giftedness.

Then we found out, today, the district is cutting the advanced placement courses for the high school. I think they waited for the last minute so those of us who would take our kids to another district wouldn't have a chance...deadlines passed. So, our older boy won't have any honors courses this year.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHH!! Primal scream and such!

Willa Gayle
    #299 08/14/06 12:27 AM
    Oh! sorry about the AP classes. Ouch! I hate to ask, but is it really too late to switch? I mean I'm sure some families are moving in and out of your area as we speak.

I think it's great that you've worked with Mite and seen more than you expected. Well done.
    smiles-
    Trin

#300 08/14/06 04:25 AM
    M
    M
    We did a grade skip with our son and it worked well. The psych recommended another one this year and we passed on it because we think his needs can be met this year in third grade with a great teacher.

By that, I guess I am saying I wouldn't automatically choose one or the other. Perhaps the right answer is next year or this year or neither.

Is it possible that therapy this year for the dyspraxia would make a jump next year easier? Is it possible that the boredom this year will damage him enough that you really don't have a choice?

Sorry - nothing but questions, but you started it.

Like you said though - the school may not allow it anyway. Most are very much against skipping even for gifted kids. - especially twice exceptional kids.

Mary

Mary
    #301 08/14/06 01:01 PM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    That's what I'm asking too. I'm not sure if we should wait the year to let him get used to the interventions or if getting the ego and stimulation boost of the acceleration will help him deal emotionall with the interventions.

Actually talked to the principal tonight and have a HUGE sigh of relief. I really like the guy. Anyhow HE recognizes Mite as very intelligent from the test scores and agrees that must be addressed in the IEP. He was surprised by the acceleration suggestion by the state gifted director, but just hadn't thought about it and was not opposed to it up front. I do want his ideas about it and will allow him time to process if. He knows Mite pretty well...better than anyone on the team at this point.

He also told me he included Mite in the gifted cluster for the current grade; so, that is a boost even if we decide against acceleration.

Basically, he implied that the district won't fight us much on issues. (we had to fight hard for the eval., but now that he's there apparently they plan to accomodate).

So....THERE IS HOPE!!! hopefully8^)

I'm still at to accelerate or not to accelerate that is the question!!! But, at least I know the district will consider it and not just outright reject. So, if we decide to wait til next year I feel that might be ok, too.

Oh and he told me to share the info I collected this summer re: twice exceptional and asynchronous development with all the members on the team. He said they would be open to it!!

YIPPEE!!! HOPE!! hopefully8^)

still processing and deciding......

Willa Gayle
    #302 08/15/06 01:58 AM
    Wow - you've gotten some great news. Remember there's nothing wrong with accelerating mid year - I've heard that after Winter break the classes do a lot of review. Do you have Re-forming gifted education by Rogers? It's the best for specific suggestions on how to support a grade skip. Are their ways that you can get Mite socially introduced to the 4th grade gifted cluster kids in the fall,playdates, etc?

#303 08/15/06 03:35 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Will find it now and read it. I hope its at the local stores. I hate waiting for Amazon packages:^)

Today (which means by this evening this opinion may change) I'm thinking to allow him to stay in the 3rd grade gifted cluster. DH14 had that teacher and she was a godsend for him. Then I'm thinking to ask that he be accelerated to 5th grade reading. Then we want to homeschool math (he's lickety-splitting through the Horizon 3rd grade we bought this summer and we are getting www.diveintomath.com Saxon math 5/4 next. i think that will be a good combo. That way math time at school can be used for handwriting, OT, PT, keyboarding and reading tutoring.

Whatcha think? Quick before I change my mind!!! LOL

Willa Gayle
    #305 08/15/06 11:09 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Yup. I did change my mind:^) 4th instead of 5th grade reading is the plan du moment. I'm thinking it will be an ego boost, and less work for momma while I figure other things out for him.

Again subject to change8^)

The only thing that is scaring me about the skipping is the twice exceptionality. He's going to have a struggle learning how to interact with a para scribe, learning to use an oral word processor and learning to use the organizational software programs they are going to use.

Actually, one of those programs is Kidspiration. I bought it 3 weeks ago; installed it and sat down with him to help him learn the program. It really seems designed to help a kid lay out one heading (this is a mind map program), then about 2-3 subheadings and maybe a couple lower. Mite spewed out 57 different subheadings and had a 7 layer mind map in the 1.5 hours we worked on it. Totally shocked me. The software didn't handle it well.

I sometimes think, go for the full grade skip except for math. I'm really strongly leaning towards homeschooling math. It goes really well with Mite and DH and they really seem to be bonding over it AND Mite is totally thrilled that he can go faster and at his own pace.

Oh and there is nothing meak about my advocating style. I'm actually an educator myself (early childhood special at that....hmmmmm think they would have listened to me when I said something was WRONG). So, I know I need to keep communications open, but be strong in my advocacy. Sometimes it makes me nuts...all the fragile eggshell egos I have to tiptoe around. But, so far, rapport is good. They don't know they are making me nuts:^)

Mite is a January birth. So, he's middle of the road.

Willa Gayle
    #306 08/15/06 11:14 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    ok. true confession time again.

I was skipped a grade and then put back. 6th to 7th. I never lived it down. The kids tormented me over it. My parents, siblings and aunt and uncles teased me too.

That just dawned on me. Interesting how I was keeping that in the back of my head. It was a very traumatic experience. Of course, I had NO support at home nor at school. It was a "sink or swim" situation. So, of course, I sank.

I think that's what is niggling at me about Mite's acceleration. One thing I do know ****I**** won't let him fail no matter which way we go. While he has the handwriting disabilities and some inattentiveness when he is bored, he definitely doesn't have the ADHD issues I had.

I want Mite to enjoy school and other kids and himself.

Willa Gayle
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM