Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    It seems prudent to get DD5year's testing done as well. I predict that she will score similar to K, because K's scores are temporarily depresssed by the "unwillingness" factor. A lot of second borns are more easy going, harder to notice, and less weird all around, but no less bright.

Willl it influence how you treat them? Well, (wink) I doubt you are overestimating DD5's abilities at this point. That is human nature to assume "weird" = more gifted. Reality is a different story. Remember - you are establishing floors of potiential, not brackets.

Smiles,
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Trinity...you hit the nail on the head!! I DO assume k's "weirdness" equates w/ giftedness! When she was four and spent literally HOURS working on an adult jigsaw puzzle, I thought weird, not gifted. And your other point is well taken...thank you for making it....floors, not brackets.

Willa Gayle...thanks for the book recommendation. It's amazing how much help those kind of phrases can be. That reminds of something else I read one time that I use all the time..."In OUR family, we do/do not do...." As in, "Mom, why do I have to go to church/write a thank you note, not use certain language, wear certain clothes, etc." I reply, "Well, in our family, we write thank you notes beacause we value gratitude and consideration of other's feelings." It just succinctly helps the define the values of our particular family and reinforces a sense of being part of a greater group with certain expectations and benefits.
    I like that in nips the argument of "so and so doesn't have to do that" in the bud.

We are off to the beach for a quick vacation before school starts! I will be eagerly reading the forum when I return to see what's been going on.

Thanks for being a good sport Pink'y. I learned all my social skills from the character "Luna Lovecraft" in Harry Potter. ((wink))

Yes, I also though my DS was "weird" not gifted, and I also thought of myself as "weird, not gifted" back then, although now its "Weird AND gifted."

Enjoy the vacation and those little sweeties -
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM