Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    wowcon Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hello all-
    Forgive me if I am asking an already answered question but I didn't see anything specific in my search. I have just decided to take my 12yo DS (I hope that stands for "son"?) out of public school and home school him. He is in 7th grade in the GT program of one of the best school districts in the country. (In TX) Since 4th grade he has been treated for anxiety and gained 80lbs. Enough. I am taking him out tomorrow and need some quick ideas. Does anyone have a recommendation for a curriculum?
    Also, I will be learning the lingo as I go! I am 52 years old and new to this form of community, and so very impressed and grateful. Yeah!

acs Offline
    I'm no expert on this, but my gut tells me that taking time to chill and recover before actually implementing a curriculum would make sense. You both sound like you have been through a lot and deserve a bit of a break before starting your new venture.

Good Luck!

also let me know wht you think ...... i may be in your same boat very soon. frown

I applaud your decessesion!

Is he a kid who is highly self-motivated? Or is he going to need a lot of structure to get anything done?

There are a lot of ways to proceed, some as rigid as school-at-home and some very loosey-goosey. His personality and yours should determine where you fall on that spectrum.

I'd recommend taking a bit of time to get yourself organized and to give him a break. It's called deschooling, and it's a great idea to prevent your both going out of the frying pan and into the fire. Catch your breath. During the deschooling time, let him read, make stuff, think, daydream, watch educational TV and play educational video games, etc. for a while. (Do limit the amount of media time if you tend to go that direction...) You can then take a few weeks to figure things out and not just buy the first thing that comes along.

The first thing I would do after stocking up on books for the deschooling time is to figure out the laws for homeschooling in your state. They're all different, and you want to be sure you're not doing anything that will cause you grief.

The second thing I would do is surf the 'Net a bit and figure out what style of homeschooling appeals to you. Your style will probably evolve as you go along, but it's nice to have a starting point, in part because there is SO MUCH STUFF out there. Choosing to be an unschooler, for example, would drastically change the sorts of materials you'd consider. Not all need formal curriculum. I'm an eclectic secular homeschooler, which means that I can pick pretty much anything I want to use. This year, that means we're using no formal curriculum whatsoever for our DS7, though I could definitely use something if I chose to. I have lots of bits and pieces that I use--workbooks, library books, computer programs, websites, etc.--but we're not starting at point A and moving through to point Z in anything specific.

Does that mean I think this is what you should do, too? I have no idea! Your family's needs may be completely different from our family's needs, so your approach may be radically different. But I would tell you that the BEST advice I ever got about homeschooling was that you shouldn't plunk down a bunch of money on ANY curriculum the first year. You just don't know enough yet to know what to invest in. Dip a toe in, and starting with the cheapest curriculum isn't a bad idea, just so you don't waste a lot of money. Remember that most packaged curricula are made for ND kids, not GT ones. You're probably going to go through things pretty fast. That gets expensive. There are cheaper ways to get the same result...

Here are a couple of useful websites for figuring out how you want to approach homeschooling:

http://www.homeschooldiner.com/guide/intro/approaches.html
    http://www.brightkidsathome.com/curriculum.html
    http://www.hsc.org/144.html
    http://www.midnightbeach.com/hs/Files.faq.html
    http://www.hsncincy.com/creating_a_curriculum.html
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/homeschool_curricula.htm
    http://www.uen.org/curriculumsearch/SearchResults.do;jsessionid=8CE9D01FA0B4144FD3A2351997210343

I strongly recommend poking around on these sites beyond the page I linked to here. They're very useful!

Once you're a bit further along, these are some sites that you might find useful, so I'll post them for you now. But this is really for later. smile

http://www.secular-homeschooling.com/index.html
    http://www.smartteaching.org/blog/2008/08/100-essential-web-tools-for-homeschoolers/

Above all, don't feel rushed. I know it's hard not to, but consider the deschooling time a prep time for you and a mental health break for your DS. You need time to figure out what to do, and you don't have to marry the first curriculum you kiss. wink

Finally, CTY and EPGY courses come highly recommended. I'd look there for sure for a 12yo.

If I can help more, let me know. I know how scary it is to do what you're doing! frown But HSing can be a really good solution. At the very least, you've shown your son that you mean business. That's a good thing for him.

smile

Kriston
    J
    J
    I like the guidelines from The Well-Trained Mind book. She details schedules and curriculum nicely. The website is really helpful for those who homeschool or afterschool. Use their forum for questions/schedules/what to do, etc. They are quick to answer.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/
    http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/

Here are some recommendations in curriculum for that age:
    1) Algebra I and II - Foerster - Don't be roped into doing Saxon. I think it is a true contributor to getting kids to HATE math!
    2) Geometry - Jacobs
    3) History - Depends on topic he is to study.
    US History - Some like to use History of US by Joy Hakim as an outline, adding to each chapter - chapter books, primary sources, etc. Jack Daws are good for that too.
    I like the idea some do by making a binder with tabs for each chapter, which include essays, vocabulary, illustrations, songs, art, PowerPoint printouts, maps, etc. Most handmade by the student.
    4) Language Arts -
    Writing - Writing Strands - all levels - requires parental input or writing tutor to go over work. I like the idea of giving them a rubric to cover main points BEFORE they start writing, and then see how they did by matching performance to different levels on the rubric.
    Vocabulary - Many programs here- Wordly Wise is popular, although another good one is Vocabulary from Classical Roots
    Literature - I like providing books from the Great Books collections. These books were chosen by Adler in the fifties, in designing a Classical Education (which I lean toward). There is a list of books per grade level. They are true classics and can require some discussion and teaching from you or a tutor.
    Grammar, Usage, Mechanics - Lots of stuff is used, Shurley Grammar, Easy Grammar are popular. There is also Editor in Chief which helps with proofreading, and they can do on the computer. Some visual kids can have trouble with grammar and learn better diagramming.
    5) Science - I like Apologia Science. Start with biology and order the labs with them. There is dissecting involved, which homeschoolers typically LOVE!
    6) Spanish/Foreign Language - Rosetta Stone most common and successful.
    7) Art - Art in Focus is a common book
    8) PE - maybe swimming? Since he's so overweight, you don't want to overdo his joints or pull muscles. If you can get him to lessons to learn the strokes then take him to practice before the lessons sometime...he'd shed the weight pretty quickly.

I'd stay away from boring curriculum like Saxon Math or ABeka. They are popular, but I think there is just SOOO much repetition. I think they are popular, because they require so little from the parents while they drill the kids into hating the subjects. There is evidence the kids DO LEARN with these programs...but drill them with any program and they'll learn...and they'll learn to hate the subject.

Make the learning as fun as you can, and he'll become hungry to do more. We (humans) like doing work that is pleasing, and will willingly return to it if it is. So the key is to get his input on what he likes or doesn't like and help him learn how he can make each subject where he likes it all. Then he'll excel.

If you plan on putting him back in public school next year, you'll need to Google your state standards of education for seventh grade. Then look up each subject, and cover each standard. If you don't meet them all, don't worry. I can tell you that my kids aren't taught each standard in school, so that should take the pressure off of any homeschooler...Good Luck!

Yes, my goal is just to do better than the school was doing. Sadly, that hasn't been hard...

Kriston
    wowcon Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you. I am realizing that my husband and Conor's counselor are urging me to "not lose a day" because they are afraid that Conor will take advantage. I am going to trust myself on this one and do some healing. Thank you for your kindness.

Some people actually deschool until the child gets bored and starts asking for work. (With no TV or video games allowed whatsoever, this happens more quickly...) I'm not sure I'd go that long, but I do think you need at least a little time to get organized. It won't kill him to have a couple of weeks to himself. And you can make the start of school a bigger deal then. Have your own "back to school" celebration. It makes for a better transition, I think.

Hang in there. Know that like anything new, it isn't always easy at first to homeschool. But if you do your best to make it work, if you forgive yourself when it doesn't because things will NOT go perfectly (!), and if you're willing to make "course corrections" as you go along, you can come up with a surprisingly humane and stimulating schedule that works for your whole family. You included! smile

Kriston
    wowcon Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Wow. Talk about a lifeline! I will explore the resources you all offered, and I will keep you posted on choices and outcomes. Can't thank you enough for your insights, info, and support! I'll be back....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM