Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    1 registered (1 invisible), 0 Guests and 232 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    sreedevi9, agen, Postini, Phaedenit, babyrazia
    10900 Registered Users
    January
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
    Topic Options
    #28321 - 10/15/08 08:38 PM Re: A good homeschooling math day. [Re: LMom]
    Kriston Offline

Loc: Midwest
    Good help! Thanks, LMom!

Yes, we should definitely compare engineering notes. Have you discovered "How It's Made" on the Science Channel yet? DS7 LOVED that show for a while. He could talk for hours about how golf balls and streetlights were made. laugh It's boring as sin to a non-engineer, but DS7 and DH (the engineer) could watch it for hours almost without blinking! LOL!

Of course, "Mythbusters" on the Discovery Channel is also great, even for me. I love those nerds! grin

Have you given your DS broken appliances and let him tear them apart to see the inside? That's always a hit for engineer-y kids. My dad used to take two broken appliances, crack them open, and create one that worked. A skill I wish I had...

#28322 - 10/15/08 08:42 PM Re: A good homeschooling math day. [Re: Kriston]
    Cathy A Offline

Loc: West coast, USA
    LOL! Like a toast-blender?

#28323 - 10/15/08 08:50 PM Re: A good homeschooling math day. [Re: Kriston]
    st pauli girl Offline

Originally Posted By: Kriston
    SPG, you'd be surprised how much comes back to you. Honest!

We'll see, but some of the things you have been discussing were never "there" in the first place, so they won't be able to come back! (i suppose you'll be telling me there are octagonal numbers, too...) I'm sure DS4 will be telling me soon "i think [insert any name here] knows way more about math [or insert any other topic] than you do."

Oh, and I had to look up heuristics too.

#28324 - 10/15/08 08:57 PM Re: A good homeschooling math day. [Re: st pauli girl]
    kcab Offline

Loc: Sparta, apparently
    See: octagonal numbers

grin

DS6 once decided to insult DD11 by telling her that she had a short-term memory but he had a long-term memory, which was why he could remember so much more than she could. (He went on to add that he could remember things from before she was born, which was just preposterous enough to cause her to walk away without trying to fight.)

#28325 - 10/15/08 09:05 PM Re: A good homeschooling math day. [Re: kcab]
    st pauli girl Offline

well, humph!

#28326 - 10/15/08 09:06 PM Re: A good homeschooling math day. [Re: st pauli girl]
    Kriston Offline

Originally Posted By: st pauli girl
    We'll see, but some of the things you have been discussing were never "there" in the first place, so they won't be able to come back! (i suppose you'll be telling me there are octagonal numbers, too...) I'm sure DS4 will be telling me soon "i think [insert any name here] knows way more about math [or insert any other topic] than you do."

Oh, and I had to look up heuristics too.

I did, too, the first time I came across the word in teaching lingo, SPG. No worries there. Some of it is just experience with teaching materials.

I learned about triangular numbers from a "math with pattern blocks" book that I bought for this school year. I had never heard of them before that. Haven't we all made pyramids out of stuff before though? The concept is there, even if the terminology isn't.

I'm telling you, you're ahead of the game! Your child is three years younger than mine, and you know as much as I know on this subject already! So much comes out of the learning materials you find...

Oh, and from this forum, of course! laugh

And now I'm off to look at that octagonal numbers link. I've never heard of those...

#28432 - 10/16/08 07:36 PM Re: A good homeschooling math day. [Re: Kriston]
    LMom Offline

Originally Posted By: Kriston
    Have you discovered "How It's Made" on the Science Channel yet? DS7 LOVED that show for a while. He could talk for hours about how golf balls and streetlights were made. laugh It's boring as sin to a non-engineer, but DS7 and DH (the engineer) could watch it for hours almost without blinking! LOL!

Of course, "Mythbusters" on the Discovery Channel is also great, even for me. I love those nerds! grin

Thanks for the recommendations. I just told our TiVo about it smile

#28566 - 10/18/08 01:44 PM Re: A good homeschooling math day. [Re: LMom]
    Dazed&Confuzed Offline

We're a big "How's It Made" and Mythbusters household!!! In fact it's where DS8 learned to use the word "d&*n^" thanks again Adam. Ha Ha Ha.

#28569 - 10/18/08 02:44 PM Re: A good homeschooling math day. [Re: Dazed&Confuzed]
    Kriston Offline

Yes, I do wish they wouldn't curse. But I'm willing to overlook it since it's such a great show otherwise. We just use it as a teachable moment to talk about appropriate and inappropriate language.

Plus, I confess, it's not like my kids have never heard me slip before... blush

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Open college classes to everyone
    by mithawk
    Today at 08:02 AM
    Flipped Classroom
    by aeh
    01/18/21 02:15 PM
    Counting to 10
    by aquinas
    01/18/21 09:04 AM