Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    SPG, you'd be surprised how much comes back to you. Honest!

I never considered myself very mathy either, and there will definitely come a time in the not-so-distant future when we either have to use a packaged math curriculum all the time, DH the engineer will have to take over teaching math, or DS7 will have to go back to some sort of school. But for now, it's actually kind of fun to wind our way through math as we like. I use Internet sites as guidance and worksheets, workbooks or computer games with him as they make sense. But as long as he's learning and enjoying it, I figure we're doing okay.

To tell you the truth, I'm probably *really learning* some of the concepts--not just the heuristics for getting an answer--for the first time, even though I got nearly all As in math all through school. It's not until you have to teach someone that you really understand something!

I do try to keep an eye on resources so that I don't teach him anything that's just plain wrong. If something comes up that I'm not sure about, I tell him so and we look it up. (There's value in seeing how to do that, too, I think.) But I don't cram. <shrug> It works so far. He's progressing, he's happy, and he's excited about learning, so we keep going!

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by LMom
    How is everything? How is it going without the babysitter? Still ready to send DS4 to K or are you hesitating a little bit. I overheard DS4 telling DS6 that once he is 5 he will be homeschooled as well wink

I missed this, LMom. Sorry--I didn't mean to ignore you. frown

Things are good. I could have used a babysitter this week, but that's just because I was single parenting while DH was at a training. frown It's a temporary thing though. When he's been around to give me some backup, it has been fine to go without a sitter. The boys and I are all used to the routine now, and they play by themselves enough that I do okay. Plus I feel more relaxed about what we're doing, so I suspect I'm not wound quite as tightly as I was last year. That helps a lot.

Yes, we still plan to send DS4 to K next year. He adores his pre-K, which is apparently more academic this year than it was last year. (I didn't know that when I signed him up.) But he doesn't know how to read yet, so it seems to be hitting him where he is, so that's okay. I think K will be much the same.

Plus I want him tested on the public school's dime. smile

I suspect math might be where he's going to have trouble fitting in at public school. (Supporting evidence: He just interrupted my typing to ask me "What's 4 x 4 + 4?" So yeah, mathy!) But if he gets the same teacher DS7 had for K, then I know he'll be fine. She was good!

Finally, I'm still not sure how well I would do as DS4's teacher. His personality is a lot more challenging for me. I don't think it would be easy on either of us. Plus his being an extrovert who needs a lot of people around means that school might really be a better fit in his case.

You know me--I'm going to go with the flow! smile We'll see how K goes before we make any decisions about 1st grade. DS4 is a very different kid from DS7. I definitely cannot assume that what worked (or didn't work) for one is going to work (or not work) for the other!

Anyway, thanks for asking. smile

So are you going to HS DS4, too, LMom? Have you made that decision?

Kriston
    Val Offline
    Hi Kriston,

Great! I love when that happens.

Have you tried teaching x! (x factorial, as opposed to Hurray for x!) ?

My DS8 asked about it the other night and got very into the idea:

DS8: "Hey, what's this exclamation point on the calculator for?"

<explanation from Mom and other adult>

DS (considering the implications): "Cool!"

The wikipedia has a cool entry on factorials. It has a nifty table with factorial values on the top right. The mathematics below the top part is a bit advanced though.

Val

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by kcab
    Originally Posted by Val
    Have you tried teaching x! (x factorial, as opposed to Hurray for x!) ?
    LOL, I was trying to figure out what Hurray for x! was, another math program perhaps, and what did it have to do with x factorial...

DS has long had an interest in triangular numbers - which I never knew had a name until just now. As it says over at Wikipedia, that's the additive analogue to factorial. When we play foosball (is that the spelling?) he insists on keeping score by summing the scores as well as the normal way. (As in, if I have 3 points it's also 1 + 2 + 3.) Comes up with other sequences too, like counting stairs. One of these days we'll have to investigate the pattern in more depth.

Sounds like a fun day, Kriston.

I used to have summer jobs that involved counting change in the register at the end of the day. I used to count the coins by putting them into pyramids with four coins at the bottom. Each pyramid had 10 coins, and so counting accurately became fast and easy. Other people noticed and starting making pyramids when it was their turn to count change!

I understand your son; I love number tricks like this.

Val

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    No, Val, we haven't done factorials yet. Good idea! Thanks!

We did do square and triangular numbers earlier this year. That works really well with pattern blocks, actually, and it was one of the things that jumpstarted him on learning his times tables this year. So you'll get a big "YAHOO!" for square and triangular numbers from me! laugh

Kriston
    Heading over to wikipedia now... triangular numbers are new to me....

JB

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Oh, you'll LOVE them, JB! The pattern thing will be right up your DS's alley.

Kriston
    Niiice. Get it. First this DW asked about was the relationship to square. Nice.

Now we just need ONE NIGHT where both younin's sleep well.

JB

Originally Posted by Kriston
    To tell you the truth, I'm probably *really learning* some of the concepts--not just the heuristics for getting an answer--for the first time, even though I got nearly all As in math all through school. It's not until you have to teach someone that you really understand something!

I too am learning new things (not math that would take a while) but there are things in CyberEd I didn't known about or remember them anymore. BTW play-doh comes quite handy when explaining how mountains, canyons, plateau etc. are created.

The boys and I are all used to the routine now, and they play by themselves enough that I do okay. Plus I feel more relaxed about what we're doing, so I suspect I'm not wound quite as tightly as I was last year. That helps a lot.

Good to hear that things are working out. I hear you on DH not being home, lots of business trips here lately frown

Yes, we still plan to send DS4 to K next year. He adores his pre-K, which is apparently more academic this year than it was last year. (I didn't know that when I signed him up.) But he doesn't know how to read yet, so it seems to be hitting him where he is, so that's okay. I think K will be much the same.

I think as long as a big chunk of school time is spent by learning new things (reading and writing) then he will be fine. Plus you have a half day K. Can you ask for the same teacher?

Finally, I'm still not sure how well I would do as DS4's teacher. His personality is a lot more challenging for me. I don't think it would be easy on either of us. Plus his being an extrovert who needs a lot of people around means that school might really be a better fit in his case.

I hear you, DS4 is very different from DS6. He is quite a clown but also very stubborn. He does anything and everything to get his way. He has been like that since I can remember. I am sure we would run into problems like we run into problems with DS6 except they would be quite different and it would be like starting from the beginning.

So are you going to HS DS4, too, LMom? Have you made that decision?

We haven't really talked about that but I believe it's what both DH and I expect at this point. I don't want to make any plans for next year, we all know how it works with gt kids. What I plan now may be useless a few months down the road. One thing is sure, DS4 would be a huge misfit in K. He reads really well now and lately he is just going through what I call an academic spurt. He is not as mathy as his brother was at this age, but he is the kid who needs to know how everything works and loves to make connection between different information. You know the engineering type wink May be we can compare notes one day. You tell me what DS7 liked and I will use it for DS4 and vice verse wink

BTW If you teach n! include a lesson about permutations as well. He will love it. It would go nicely with how fast 2 grows when you start doubling it.

Last edited by LMom; 10/15/08 07:45 PM.

LMom
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Good help! Thanks, LMom!

Yes, we should definitely compare engineering notes. Have you discovered "How It's Made" on the Science Channel yet? DS7 LOVED that show for a while. He could talk for hours about how golf balls and streetlights were made. laugh It's boring as sin to a non-engineer, but DS7 and DH (the engineer) could watch it for hours almost without blinking! LOL!

Of course, "Mythbusters" on the Discovery Channel is also great, even for me. I love those nerds! grin

Have you given your DS broken appliances and let him tear them apart to see the inside? That's always a hit for engineer-y kids. My dad used to take two broken appliances, crack them open, and create one that worked. A skill I wish I had...

Kriston
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM