Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    san54
    Unregistered
    san54
    Unregistered
    S
    Hello,

I joined this forum today as part of my research for a two-act drama I'm writing. I raised a gifted son whose public school years, before high school, were horrific, was denied services for his giftedness, and was consequently labeled emotionally disturbed. He is now successful,27,and earning a Ph.d in Renaissance/Medieval Lit. I am seeking journal and stream-of-consciousness writings of gifted children, ages 10-12, who have emotional disturbances and anxiety disorders due to inadequate education. I am not sure how to procure these writings. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks, San

Last edited by san54; 10/15/08 06:53 PM. Reason: punctuation
    I doubt you'll have much luck getting your hands on these. I know if I were the parent of such a child, I would never hand over his/her journal entries to a writer. Never!

Maybe you could find adults who used to be those children willing to share their childhood journals, but I frankly wouldn't think you'd have much luck there either.

I'm a writer, too, and my time period is 1000 years ago, so I sympathize with not having as much source material as you would like. But I don't know what to tell you. If it's not posted on the web or volunteered to you by people who know you, I doubt you'll find much. It just has the potential to be too explotative. You may just have to speak with psychiatrists in generalizations and invent the rest.

Maybe post with SENG? Maybe you'll catch someone's eye there?

Kriston
    S
    san54
    Unregistered
    san54
    Unregistered
    S
    Since my project is bringing the issue of neglected gifted children to American audiences, my sources are people who catch this vision and mission. Such sources realize that the assistance of such writings is not exploitive. Such writings would not be replicated verbatim and would simply inspire the character's voice. Our society needs to get into the heads of our gifted and understand their world and suffering,to look out through the eyes of the child.
    My son, 14 years ago, did not write his thoughts down. He will help the project by retrospective thoughts but this is not the same as a child expressing in the moment.
    Thank you to anyone who wishes to share for this much needed voice on the American stage. ---San

Last edited by san54; 10/16/08 04:48 AM. Reason: punctuation

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM