Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    I would just do what others have recommended on this board - listen at the short conference, then at the end say you will be contacting her for a longer meeting, possibly including the gifted coordinator and/or the special services group that set up the IEP.

Well said, good advice, this is probably what I would do.

I would add, though, see if you can't clear it up with the teacher first.

One thing that sort of 'helped' DS12 in elementary school, was to find out how long the teacher expected the child to work on the homework, and to let DS12 work for exactly that long, and then write a note on the bottom - this is X minutes worth of work.

If your son is in early elementary school, perhaps you can get away with this for one year, while working outside school on his keyboarding and at his readiness level.

On one hand it's great for a child to be motivated to get good grades, but one the other hand, it's not the only thing - if it's worth his while to be in school this year, you may have to reframe it as - you are still learning how to do the things this teacher wants, so these are your grades for now.

((shrugs))
    Seems like the Gifted Coordinator and the Person in charge of the IEP should be given a chance to see if they can help out here.

So Sad....
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    S-T Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by elh0706
    Thanks Cathy, DS usually does do his first draft on the computer and than handwrites the final. I have asked for the rubrik but did not get anywhere. In an email I just received (after my first post) She said that all of her gifted students were struggling with these assignments but the rest of the class was doing great. She included a line saying that the gifted students needed to learn they weren't so smart anyway.

Oh dear! mad Instead of providing you with constructive suggestions, u gave with this! I would be really disappointed and mad too.

S
    S-T Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    I would just do what others have recommended on this board - listen at the short conference, then at the end say you will be contacting her for a longer meeting, possibly including the gifted coordinator and/or the special services group that set up the IEP.

There are great ideas presented. I would go along these too. As much as I would not like to talk to the teacher, I would not "by-pass" her too because ultimately, your child is still in her class. It's good to give her a heads up that u will be contacting the Gifted Coordinator and, or the school counsellor to talk more abt your child's issue .
    SOmehow I find that when I put it across as a "problem" of MY child, the teacher/ school will be less defensive and may be more willing to help. Sigh....

Originally Posted by S-T
    Originally Posted by incogneato

There are great ideas presented. I would go along these too. As much as I would not like to talk to the teacher, I would not "by-pass" her too because ultimately, your child is still in her class. It's good to give her a heads up that u will be contacting the Gifted Coordinator and, or the school counsellor to talk more abt your child's issue .
    SOmehow I find that when I put it across as a "problem" of MY child, the teacher/ school will be less defensive and may be more willing to help. Sigh....

I will defer to those with actual experience with teachers. smile (Hey - I did say this is what I would do...and I do tend to be easily annoyed. whistle) Just based on what you've said so far, though, it appears that you have been hitting a brick wall with this particular teacher. Maybe at the conference you can give the heads up that you'd like a meeting with the teach and that you'll be inviting the others as well, so you make a game plan as a team.

Good luck elh!

Last edited by st pauli girl; 10/13/08 08:25 PM.
    E
    elh0706 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Thank you all for the support! It helped to calm me down alot. DH wrote a letter to the teacher last night asking for clarifification and a meeting to discuss what specific concepts and assignments are causing problems for our son. I also have some feelers out to other parents of children in the same class to see if they are running into the any of the same issues. So far it sounds like there might be a common theme going on.

In terms of the his IEP and dysgraphia. What I hear from the school is that since DS is only 22% delayed in fine motor skills to his chronological age, he does not meet the 25% delayed criteria for classroom accommodations. They do tell me that in 2 more years all assignments are typed... The conversation I had with a state advocate supported the school's position. I am pursuing this further.

I also did get a revision to the earlier email saying that the troubles that my son is having should be treated as a learning challenge and that she is glad to see him having to struggle to learn. In theory, I applaud the concept, the biggest issue I have with the school system is that to date DS has not been forced to learn how to learn. However, I think that an integral part of learning how to learn is getting some constructive feedback on how to improve.

Again I really do thank you all! Being able to sound off here, probably prevented some major damage done to the school relationships!

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. That's too bad about the 22% cutoff - but the fact that everything is typed in 2 years takes away a lot of reasons they might give you for not allowing typed (e.g., they won't know if the student did his own work).
    Originally Posted by elh0706
    I also did get a revision to the earlier email saying that the troubles that my son is having should be treated as a learning challenge and that she is glad to see him having to struggle to learn. In theory, I applaud the concept, the biggest issue I have with the school system is that to date DS has not been forced to learn how to learn. However, I think that an integral part of learning how to learn is getting some constructive feedback on how to improve.

Well said. I think this is an area where your teacher appears to be lacking. It sort of seemed like she thought that the gifted kids should be able to figure something out without explanation. But gifted kids still need to be taught.

I'm glad you took the advice of the less-hotheaded parents around, so you don't burn any bridges. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM