Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 180 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #27230 10/02/08 07:18 AM
    S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I just signed up for the ALEKS free trial but I think I might have made a mistake in the course selection. In the process of signing up, I was supposed to select a course with a pull down screen. I didn't know what to choose for DS8 (not knowing what's their basis of assessment) , so I selected Pre-Algebra which DS is interested in now. He completed the online test and was shown his Full Pie.

Now when I went back to the website, it seems on this page http://www.aleks.com/k12/course_products/recommendations to say that I should have signed him up for his "On Grade Level" instead.... and if he has completed 90% full for that grade, then I should move him up to the next grade.

So how do u decide which course to select? confused

S-T, when I signed my dd6 up, I had her start at the level she was currently working on in school (3rd grade), and have been moving her up as she completes each level. She hasn't gotten to the middle school level yet, but it looks like the pre-algebra is on that level, maybe towards the end of middle school. I think if your son has mastered a lot of the middle school level, that's probably a good place for him especially considering his interest. If he hasn't mastered much of the middle school math, you might need to move him down to give him a good basis before learning pre-algebra. After taking the assessment, what did ALEKS have to say? You can also email them. In my experience, they are very helpful.

D
    D
    S-T,
    If I understand you correctly, your ds8 completed the pre-algebra initial assessment with 100% mastery and you are wondering which level would be best to go to next. Is that right? What a smart kid!

Do you home-school? What is the highest level your child has been introduced to at home or school? Does he study math independently?

If he doesn�t mind, I�d just have him take each higher assessment until he scores below the 90% and has something to learn.

Also, our state (IL) supposedly has the lowest math standards while MA and CA have the highest, so I selected MA state standards on ALEKS for my kids and CA standards for my nephew to ensure they learn everything available for any given level.

After reading delbows post, I went back and re-read the first post. Did your son have the pie all filled in as complete? If that's the case, he should move on to algebra or one of the other high school levels. Sorry, I misunderstood!

S
    S
    I don't know how to answer your question. I've been thinking about this myself. My son is in 3rd grade. When he did the assessment, ALEKS said he should work at 3rd grade level. But, he's doing simple algebraic equations and converting numbers from Celsius to Farenheit at home. If I let him to 3rd grade on ALEKS, then he's even further ahead at school. Maybe I should let him to pre-algebra instead to give him some challenge. Any thoughts?

And, does anybody know how to get to the games through QuickTables? All we've seen are problems and the time limits get shorter and shorter.

Q
    Q
    squirt - you earn the games after completing certain levels of quicktables - e.g., 60%, 80%, etc. I think the first game or two come earlier than 20%, but don't remember. And if the time is too fast, go into the parent account and then look at quicktables report, click on the little bar graph and it will pull up a detailed page where you can adjust the time limit. Ours was set at 3 seconds automatically. You can also make worksheets and create a keypad (I guess to click on rather than type?).

DS hasn't done anything really other than the assessment or quicktables. It appears on the couple of exercises he did do that it moves rapidly, only requiring a couple of right answers, then a couple to review the same thing next time, and then it moves on. Very different from EPGY where there were a lot of questions on the same thing and it took a long time to get beyond it. (Or so it seemed.)

M
    M
    You can choose to go back and do more than the standard review you just have to follow the screens when you type review and you can go back to almost anything. I just figured this out last week. It may also force more review if the subject isn't shown to be mastered in the next assessment.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Sorry I wasn't very clear in my first post. DS8 completed the Pre-Algebra assessment and his Pie was shown as 70% completed. His gaps were mainly in
    Functions & Graphs, Exponents & Polynomials,Proportion,%, Data Probability and
    Geometery.

He completed 100% for the rest.

After the "test", I realised that he could only continue to work on the "Pre-Algebra" course (till mastery) before moving on to the another course. Or is it possible to sign up more than one course at the same time?

I think I was kind of disappointed as I thought the initial assessment will help me see what are the gaps for DS in general (without having to select a Course myself). So if he continues to finish the Pre-Algebra, should I move him back to Grade 3? or Grade 5? or ??

S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by squirt
    I don't know how to answer your question. I've been thinking about this myself. My son is in 3rd grade. When he did the assessment, ALEKS said he should work at 3rd grade level. But, he's doing simple algebraic equations and converting numbers from Celsius to Farenheit at home. If I let him to 3rd grade on ALEKS, then he's even further ahead at school. Maybe I should let him to pre-algebra instead to give him some challenge. Any thoughts?

May I know what assessment did your DS take? Was it the one he had to do when u sign him up the very first time and when u selected the grade 3 course yourself?

I know what u meant. That was one reason why I didn't choose his current level because DS8 has already attempted and passed the end of year grade assessment in school and I was quite sure he could handle some grade 7/8 stuff. Just not sure what are his gaps. I was hoping ALEKS could do the job for me. blush

S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I think I should have a look at the quicktables too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM