Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I sometimes spot gifted kids at work, which is in a poor, urban area. Besides chatting with parents, is there anything I can "do" for kids age 3 and up who I fear may be overlooked?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    In my hometown, there's a Grant Program...Parent's As Teachers... A lady from the local school goes into homes once a month to chat with the parents and children. I was visited by this lady and it was wonderful. She'd give the kids books, toys and play games with them. This is how I found out about the free IQ testing at our city elementary school. If your school has this program, you could recommend she contact the parents of these children and then later she could suggest IQ testing to the parents.

S
    S
    When I encounter a child that appears to me to be gifted, I am torn, too. It depends on the situation, but I will often say something like "wow, he really expresses himself well, doesn't he?" This is often a springboard to more discussion. If the mom seems amenable to discussion I might share a little, just to open her paradigm a bit. If she seems really interested I might email a file I keep for just such occasions! Several people I have decided to approach persued the options, most do not. But, if it makes a difference to some, then it is worth it.

Susan in Reno

Susan from Reno
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Susan - I'd love to see your email uploaded to this forum, perhaps under it's own topic.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    L
    L
    It's funny how many times you can "see" a gifted child and knoe that the parent has no idea. I saw a 3 year old in a shopping cart going on and on asking very good questions to her mom. Mom was clearly irritated by the distractions and not engaging the girl with more than "mmhm" "ok" but not answering any questions. I felt for that little girl and hoped I could speak to the mom but couldn't. Next time I have an opportunity I will. And I'll let her know what a lucky mom she is and how much she is going to enjoy the adventure of raising her child.

S
    S
    Trinity, if you are interested in my file I am happy to send it to you. It is simply in Word format with some links.

Susan

Susan from Reno
    M
    M
    I was talking to a good friend of mine recently. As my son is PG - we have often talked about gifted issues. Never occurred to me that she didn't realize that her son - who taught himself to read at 3 - was gifted.

Catch is - she is highly gifted herself. She never dreamed her son would be gifted though.....

Oh well...

Mary
    W
    W
    gosh! I've been that mom in the grocery store with the tireless questioning kid! both my boys drove and DRIVE me nuts in grocery stores. I think of shopping with out the boys (and you know I ADORE my boys) as "Mommy Time"!!! chuckle.

Really it is soooooooooooo hard to concentrate on shopping while trying to field the incessant questions of brilliant little minds. I wish now I'd had the wisdom to take them shopping for specific, them oriented trips and saved the real shopping trips for solo tasks.

They still drive me batty with conversation (highly interesting and very animated) while we grocery shop.

So, don't feel badly for the little girl. feel sorry for her Mom...chuckle.!!

Willa Gayle
    Originally Posted by willagayle
    gosh! I've been that mom in the grocery store with the tireless questioning kid! both my boys drove and DRIVE me nuts in grocery stores. I think of shopping with out the boys (and you know I ADORE my boys) as "Mommy Time"!!! chuckle.

Really it is soooooooooooo hard to concentrate on shopping while trying to field the incessant questions of brilliant little minds. I wish now I'd had the wisdom to take them shopping for specific, them oriented trips and saved the real shopping trips for solo tasks.

They still drive me batty with conversation (highly interesting and very animated) while we grocery shop.

So, don't feel badly for the little girl. feel sorry for her Mom...chuckle.!!

I have to raise my hand here too and say I, too, have been guilty of being "that mom" at the grocery store lol. My son LOVES to talk, and could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on...

D
    D
    I was or I should say "we were" spotted by someone like Trinity. For about a year I was a member of this persons parenting group before I found out that both my kids are gifted, and then I found out I am as well ....

Soo keep spotting them! We would have been none the wiser and I must say, today I am happier knowing why I am special.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM