Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Originally Posted by CFK
    But he does have one of those more even across the boards score profiles like Dotties' son, and that does present a whole different scenario for learning. I wonder if trying to group kids like mine, and kids like some others here have with big spiky profiles doesn't contribute to a lot of the issues we have with trying to get programming for them. I imagine the ideal gifted class geared for a "slow deep thinking" child would look very different from the ideal gifted class for mine.

I think this is a very insightful comment.

Ah, reasons one-size-fits-all education doesn't work, not even in GT programs!

Kriston
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    Gosh, a lot of this sounds soooo familiar. The 'huh?' problem, the not sacrificing accuracy for speed, the very sloooow work on boring worksheets, super speed with learning spelling words (if he's seen it, he knows it, and he's been getting some pretty tough words lately...Qualifying for gt program under language arts even though I *always* thought of him as a puzzle-mathy guy. Hm.

Makes me wonder if Kriston or Dottie or others have a recommendation on what sort of testing to look at having conducted for ds8 - I have been wondering about going for some full-on testing since ds is getting on in years wink. Seriously though, I just read over 8 the tests get less accurate. (He turns 9 in the summer.)

I guess the main reason for testing would be to help figure out the slow performance on timed tests thing, and to understand what is up with the patterny-puzzly side of him. Whether he will be ok with a regular curriculum or if he really needs something more...

How concerned are you about his slowness and other stuff? I would say the more you or other people are leaning toward 2E, the more limited an IQ test alone would be because it can't be used to diagnose (or rule out) specific LDs. He would need further cognitive testing for that.

Last edited by Jool; 12/22/08 08:45 AM.
    Oh, yes! I wasn't even considering LD issues! Thanks, Jool!

Kriston
    Thanks all for responding; guess I left out some stuff because I didn't want to completely hog this good thread.
    Ds8, 3rd grade, has been tested by school for the gifted programs available - first w/K-BIT, did very well in language arts and above average in math but not qualifying in math.
    Now this year for the 4th grade + program, he's taken a Cogat & Naglieri.
    We will get copies of these, perhaps some of this will answer my question - is this slowness anything to worry about, and is he gifted in this area but it's holding him back - but I am not sure they look at speed on any part in particular. That is, do those tests try to tease that out as compared with aptitude.

On one hand, I am not too concerned about it since it mainly manifests itself in what looks like an avoidance strategy.
    But then again, arithmetic math facts just about killed his interest in math. The timed sheets were extremely discouraging. I don't think he got past the 3's. He doesn't mind bigger numbers, he is fine with them, he hates to practice just for the sake of getting faster so this definitely contributes to slow performance. But also there might be some perfectionist thing going on.
    He is having an ok time with Timez Attack software for learning times tables - tolerating it at least.

The other test he took was the 3rd grade SCAT - he did well in verbal, ok in math - but said he was stuck on the last question in each unit. I don't know for sure but it sort of sounded like he just got stuck on something and didn't go any further.
    I know he likes tests like that for fun, so I asked which part he liked better. He said Math. I recently asked him again why he liked that part better and he said because it was harder. Maybe it was giving him lots of things to think about which he'd not seen before and it slowed him down. Again, few clues here, but in addition to being a puzzle whiz even when very young and showing other signs of thinking/learning visually, comments like this make me wonder if he's getting what would be best for him in math curriculum.

If I do anything I will wait until after I see the Cogat and Naglieri results, hopefully that will help me see if anything further is needed.
    Kriston, I think ds is a lot like your ds, not in level of giftedness, but in many of the things you described about how he gets along. And Dottie's daughter too...we have been to the doctor many times to have his hearing checked. He did have lots of ear infections when small, the ENT doctor said he had ok structure, so no treatment recommendations, but we never went so far as to analyze if he had any processing issues. I really only vaguely know what that means and have less idea of what would cause something like that.
    He is pretty quick to pick up on things, the slowness is on the output side, timing things makes it worse.
    Preschool teachers asked about his hearing and I myself have wondered about his ability to hear through other noisy goings-on. Also he was hard to understand in early years - not to me, he sounded ok, but others would remark. I chalked this up to his large size throwing people off on his actual age.
    I am going to re-read Dottie's posts about specifics on testing hearing ability from the processing perspective, and consider Jool's comment about further cognitive testing, and also take a look at the WISC v. SB-V some more.
    Thanks all, and sorry for the length! I even cut some stuff out. blush

Nothing much to add, except that it's perfectly okay to write a lot. Don't cut! Write what you need. It's why we're all here. And if you're wrestling with an issue like this, you need to talk through it.

And, of course, I'm interested in your son's situation both selfishly and unselfishly. So I want to hear more! wink

Kriston
    Thanks everyone, lots to ponder, I really appreciate the support and info! I will definitely look into the auditory processing testing.

Well, we are going to a developmental pediatrician next thursday; referred by the regular pediatrician to find out more about possible auditory problems for ds8, and some social and attention issues.

I am going to hold off on requesting the school do an evaluation at least until after this appointment, some solid sounding advice from another thread. It just seems like the process will go much faster, and I will have more information sooner this way. Then, if I need to work with the school, I can do so with more info in hand.

I figure I will bring my list of thoughts from my above post, I have these 'vanderbilt scale' sheets on add that the regular pediatrician requested we fill out, but I will also bring copies to the dev. pediatrician.

I wish we could get the CogAT and Naglieri results from school (like, yesterday!), I think they were asking about bringing any standardized testing results. I am going to call back and make sure I understand all they do and don't want at this point. All this reminds me of the Stanford Diagnostic Math test he took in 1st grade where he got a near perfect score on the concepts part and only tried about 3 of the computation questions frown

And I also read this...looking at this book for the info on sibling iq similarities and found this discussion of early chronic ear infections and how this can cause problems with simpler concepts & rote memorization: computation, phonics, handwriting, spelling, but a child could still be ok with more complex things.
    Dottie, maybe this is where part of what you were talking about is coming from.
    Hope the link works.

Intellectual Giftedness in Young Children, L.K.Silverman, Pg 79 Severe Early Ear Infection

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM