Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    My son took the WISC-IV and these are the scores VCI=140, PRI=143, WMI=107, and PSI=83. He is doing "ok" in his gifted class (5 day a week, all day, gifted public school class). He recently brought homw a 29 on a spelling test and a 52 on a math test. We have gone over the spelling words and he can recite them correctly due to memorization. His grades were generally A/B last year. His main issues are that he memorizes the spelling words but can not apply them during writing, he reverses some letters, and mixes his syllables sometimes. He still misspells very familiar words and spells the like they sound.

I had a conference today with his teacher and she said she will allow him extra time to finish tasks due to the slow processing speed on the IQ test and his work in class. The district (DUVAL) does not acknoledge dyslexia as a LD. I am not sure he has it but something is going on..... What do I do? The info I have says this discrepensie is HUGE! but nobody in the school wants to address it. They just say that they will offer more time. Should I push for further testing? My goal is for him to want to learn and he currently hates school......

F
    OP Offline
    F
    I wanted to add. He is generally slow when finishing his work. He shows perfectionistic tendencies and either works extremely hard to produce legible work in all subjects or it is very messy with many mistakes. The math test score was not due to not understanding how to do the problem. I think it was because they wanted him to draw pictures of his answers, which was hard. He put so much effort into it he got the actual computation wrong in almost every instance. You can tell that he erased ALOT. They are working multiplication which is hard for him. Although, he understands the concept.

Hi, flowersfamily!

While lower than average, PSI=83 is still within the normal range. It could certainly be causing a processing bottleneck for him, though. My DD9 has similar problems with writing and spelling. Her oral spelling is much better than her functional spelling, too. She has been diagnosed with a LD which seems to be related to visual/motor integration.

You may want to get private testing and get some recommendations from the psychologist as to what may help him. More time is probably one thing, but there may be others.

One thing the psychologist recommended for DD is that she learn to type. Typing her writing homework has really helped her. You may also want to read about dysgraphia. There are a few threads here in the 2E section about that.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    Thank you for your response. I have found on Hoagies Deborah Harris in Gainesville and she seems to be a fairly local expert on gifted kids. I think I will have him tested to see what comes about.

Also, does anyone else wonder where the scores come from. My son has always been quick to learn something but apparently slow to get it out, he has a fairly good vocabulary, shows talent in memorizing music and drama. But I would never have guessed his IQ be so high. FSIQ=129 but his GAI=151. I just don't see anything that is out of ordinary really. I really see more deficits in comparison with his peers then any special abilities, eventhough the scores say the opposite. I just don't see alot of what I see other posters post.....

K
    klh Offline
    K
    Hi, totally new to this. Just got my dd wisc iv last week. Your post really caught my eye. These scores are virtually identical to my dds. I was told by the school she did not make it into the GT because they have a firm 130. In fact she hit the ceiling on three subtests in VCI and PRI. Also she scored off the charts in the arithmatic( this is where i see her as most gifted). However they told me they do not figure this score into her WMI (WMI was 104). Is she 2E? Do I need to test her on a different iq test? DD is 7yrs.

K
    klh Offline
    K
    Thanks for responding Dottie. I live In Wisconsin. VCI 142, PRI 140, WMI 106(arim. 18, but was told they do not substitute this score), PSI 84. The school psy. had never heard of GAI, he thought I was kinda nuts. So I had to figure this out on my own(GAI 151).Should I push this GAI tech. report under his nose! I did call the state DPI gifted and talented person told her the situation. She agreed that daughter should be in GT. She said our state would be "informining" the school districts about GAI for the 2009-10 school year. By the way, our school district has no GT till 4th grade.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    I can hardly believe the similarities in scores! The GAI is the same. WOW! Definitely gat the info about it and make an appointment with the district. Do you notice any areas that are of concern? How does she write and spell? I am short on time but will be visiting here often. Thanks

S
    S
    What do the confidence intervals mean? Sorry, if this is off topic.

S
    S
    Welcome Flowers and Klh! Sorry I jumped in to your thread without even at least saying hello. I don't have anything to add. Dottie, the link you posted above is for Canadian Norms. I don't know if that makes any difference or not?

K
    klh Offline
    K
    Dotti, the scores I gave you were composite. Here are her scaled scores. VCI- similarities 18,vocab. 16, information 17. PRI- block design 17, picture concepts 18, matrix reasoning 15, picture complpletion 15. WMI- digit span 8, letter number sequencing 13, arithmetic 18. PSI-coding 5, symbol search 8.
    I do think she did poorly on coding because she is a perfectionist. She had a major melt down last week because one of her written letters was not perfect looking. She does hate the physical act of writting.
    I was told by the school district she reads in the 90%. We have district MAPs testing next week. Again I do think her strongest area is math. At 4 she could do 100pc puzzles faster than I could.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM