Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #26400 09/21/08 03:43 PM
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ack! Remember the boy who didn't want to do subtraction facts? Well, the teacher has succeeded in motivating him. He declares that he will "wallpaper his room with awards" and brought home his first certificate for level 1 addition and subtraction facts on Friday. I don't even know how many levels there are, but now he wants me to do flashcards with him and in three days (about 10 min/day) he has mastered subtraction up to 18. He has started incorporating multiplication cards as well.

I'm starting to feel a bit panicked...this is a good thing, right? I wasn't expecting him to get them this quickly--it took DD quite a bit longer. Does this mean his placement is too low in math? Or just that it soon will be?

Hm, I think I remember your other post...this turn around sounds pretty cool, the only thing that I'd even worry a bit about is the 'wallpaper his room with awards' part. I wonder what the teacher told him?
    I think it might be good to (eventually) find a richer source of motivation for learning than awards, but heck, if this gets the ball rolling...it sounds like he's just plowing through these facts which I must admit I am jealous of! wink

How old is he again? (re: the placement thing - others might be able to weigh in on that part, I don't think I'd be much help there - or for that matter with the sanity part smile )

Last edited by chris1234; 09/21/08 03:53 PM. Reason: clarity?
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    How old is he again?

He's 5 yrs. 10 mos. and just started 2nd grade.

...only thing that I'd even worry a bit about is the 'wallpaper his room with awards' part.

I know what you mean about the awards. The teacher also pays the kids in play money (plastic coins) for finishing work and good behavior. DS was already somewhat obsessed with money...I don't want him to think that he has to get paid just to do his work! Am I crazy to worry about this? He seems happy and motivated.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    You know, this is really the first thing at school he's ever had to sink his teeth into. He just grabbed it and is bulldogging the heck out of it. I think he's enjoying himself!

Maybe I'm just not used to seeing him engaged with schoolwork. He's also started wanting me to quiz him on spelling. I discovered that he knows how to spell "raccoon". Maybe that's not so amazing, but I wasn't even sure how to spell it. I had to look it up to make sure it had two cees, so I know I wasn't the one who taught it to him!

I think his competitive nature is kicking in. I don't think it's unusual for a child that age to be motivated by external things, that's why the teacher uses play money to reward the children. The trick is to have him internalize those feelings of accomplishment and having the satisfaction of doing a job well, but that will take some time.

I don't have a clue about what you'll be doing to challenge him next month, but I think it might help to have a short chat with the teacher soon.

wow, you two are fast posters!

Last edited by OHGrandma; 09/21/08 04:49 PM.
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ok, I will stop obsessing about rewards smile I know the teacher is partly doing it to encourage the kids to practice counting money.

I will try to play it by ear, Dottie, but that's a challenge for me eek . I like to have everything planned out or I start to feel a bit frantic.

I have been thinking about having a chat with the teacher (see obsessive planning above) but I have trouble visualizing how the conversation should go. I will just have to put it off until I know what I want to say and figure out how to say it.

I think I'd start it by saying, "wow! you sure picked up on a way to motivate DS! What will we do when he has all these facts memorized?"

acs Offline
    It sounds to me like you have a kid and a teacher on the same wavelength and that she knows what makes him tick. I think it sounds wonderful. Clearly she has won your DS's respect. That goes a really long way in this world.

We have been fortunate to have had many such teachers in DS's life and I think that that is one reason we have never had to do more than subject acceleration.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you, OHG!!!

I think acs said it better than I. We have been blessed with teachers who have really helped GS excel, and I always make a point of telling them how much I appreciate them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM