Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 100 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by acs
    It sounds to me like you have a kid and a teacher on the same wavelength and that she knows what makes him tick. I think it sounds wonderful. Clearly she has won your DS's respect. That goes a really long way in this world.

Yes, I had a feeling they would click. I requested this teacher for DS. I know her from my mathlab days when DD was in 2nd grade. She is one of the only teachers who was doing regular mathlabs then and she gave me some good advice on how to run one in DD's class.

Well, I would never say anything negative about my buddy, acs, but I thought your opening salvo was pretty fabulous, OHG! It's what I'd recommend going with, too: compliment, and then ask how to build upon that successful motivation.

laugh

Kriston
    acs Offline
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    Yes, I had a feeling they would click. I requested this teacher for DS. I know her from my mathlab days when DD was in 2nd grade. She is one of the only teachers who was doing regular mathlabs then and she gave me some good advice on how to run one in DD's class.

So not only is it working well, but it's working well because you followed your experience and instincts. It sounds to me like you can sit back with some chocolate and champagne (or whatever makes you happy) and celebrate! You've had a long road to get here, so enjoy it. There will certainly be other challenges along the way, but maybe you don't have to go hunt for them right now!

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks! I'm feeling saner whistle for the moment. Chocolate sounds good...

...I don't want him to think that he has to get paid just to do his work!

I know people differ in their opinions on this, but I like positive reinforcement. It seems like many gifted kids need "a reason" to do things, especially if they don't easily see the value themselves.

Besides, would you go to work if you didn't get paid? I bit caustic, sorry, but just trying to hammer in a point.

Just wanted to add that your DS's motivation sounds wonderful. He certainly seems excited about being challenged, however it is occurring. And excitement in school translates into a love of learning. So bottle it up, video tape it, or find another way to savor it. This is what it looks like when life is good. grin

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    One more comment from the peanut gallery. Good stress is STILL STRESS to your mental and physical health! So it's good to let it out, and then go eat that chocolate if it's allowed.

Sending ((virtual Chocolate))
    Yippee! Math Facts Awards Wallpaper - my boy loves clear goals and the rush of wind as he walks, climbs or glides past them.

Cathy, I'm going to reccomend that you do NOT talk to the teacher until there is a problem. Enjoy the moment. ((Yuck!)) I find this very difficult to do, as my brian loves a problem to worry about, but it's a great excersize to practice being delighted and happy.

If you are anything like me IRL, you are wonderful at seeing the .0005% empty that the glass is, and want it topped off 'just a little bit.'

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I think this is an awesome news! He is happy, he is motivated and he is learning! That's all you can ask for. As long as she keeps him engaged and he learns then all is well. I say you may even want to e-mail the teacher and say how glad you are to see the attitude change in DS.

DS6 likes awards too. Give him a computer game in which he can earn a certificate every few levels or keep track of his score and you are all set. If it makes you feel better this week DS6 made me write flash cards with English and Latin/Greek words and use them to play a memory game.

LMom
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Besides, would you go to work if you didn't get paid?

LOL! I'm a stay-at-home mom. I work all the time and never get paid cool

But I know what you mean. Rewards aren't all bad. And certainly better than punishments!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM