Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Elisa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of getting a subscription to Destination Math for my sons 5 and 7. We'll be using it to supplement what they learn in school. Houghton Mifflin has a k-6 bundle for $99/year.
    Would love to hear what you think of it. Thanks for sharing your opinions.

We don't have it, but I reviewed it and to be honest I didn't like it. It seemed to be very slow and there was just not enough depth in it. We ended up getting HeyMath! which I found much better for my mathy DS6.

LMom
    It does seem to be a little redundant to kids who learn fast. I would say it's good for introducing totally new concepts. I also wouldn't use it exclusively, but I think it's engaging enough to use as a supplement.

Do they allow you any access for a free trial? DD6 uses grade 2/3 and DD8 uses 4-6. You might assume your children will have exhausted it well before the end of the year subscription, though.

Elisa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, we're trying out the 30 day trial of destination math. We could get the k-6th grade bundle and that would allow DS7 to advance as much as he likes.
    Does anyone have experience with aha!math? I'm wondering how the two compare especially for gifted learners.

M
    M
    We have been using the trial as well as both Destination math and aha!math are on the homeschool buyers co-op group buys right now. I thought the destination math looked good but my youngest gifted daughter was "done" in no time, she isn't thrilled at all with it. She tends to like to move on quickly once she underdstand a concept, and gets bored with constant repeat instruction. We may try the aha!math since they do have a 14 day return, although a free trial would be nice. I did submit to them for someone to call me to see if they do offer a trial of some sort. My older daughter loves ALEKS it's just a shame they don't offer the lower grades as well. Same with HeyMath!, since my younger ones are only 5 and 3. We do use Singapore math but they really respond well to some computer based programs as well. (One twin likes computer one likes hands on so we try to balance both.) I'd be interested to hear from families who have used this.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    M
    M
    Does the HeyMath! offer anything under 3rd? I don't think my twins are ready for that quite yet although they are moving really quickly now that we have started math three months ago, but they are only about a strong first grade level so far. How quickly does Heymath! move? My oldest is doing great with ALEKS but might like something with some games and interactive stuff as well if I'm buying a few licenses. My problem there is that she moves so so fast.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    I think Destination Math may be a little better in the higher grades? Yes, it is still a little repetetive, but the concepts are a little more difficult. DD8 likes to be an independent learner, so this way she can jump around 5th and 6th grade concepts, then after she "plays" on DM, she can get out her Singapore books with similar content and do them independently.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM