Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Well I'm glad that the accomodations are in place! WHeew!

As for the skip, I'm hoping that it becomes obvious that he needs it now that the accomidations are in place. Still - folks worry!

I'm hoping you can stop the waffling!

Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    W
    W
    as I mentioned in the other post, his standardized test scores went up more than 3 standard deviations in math and about 1.5 in reading (if my math is correct:^), JUST because an aide sat with him during the test and redirected him to task when his mind wandered off or he'd start staring out in space.

That's why I'm ready for him to take the SCAT if we can get accomodations.

Willa Gayle
    Wow Willa Gayle!
    That is quite a jump. Wow! Does he mind being redirected? I am sure that as he gets older and the work is at his readiness level, he will be able to do this himself. I've been known to set my timer on my watch for 5 minute increments to get through my dullest jobs.
    Big Smile,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    W
    W
    actually it is two standard deviations in reading, but bear in mind that last time he was undiagnosed and had no accomodations. This is just on that particular test. We've not done any other achievement tests since last year.

He likes having his aide and going to the resource room. he says it is much less quiet and that it's necessary to have her redirect.

I think he'll grow out of the need, too. he needs to learn to attend after spending 4 years in public ed inside his imagination.

We are working on that.

Followup to the acceleration, while a couple of months ago we had been led to be lieve it would happen, today we were informed it won't, not even a subject acceleration.

Since there were other kids in the class who scored higher on this achievement test, they feel he's in a "good fit" to stay with his age group peers.

I can pound my head into a wall if there was one sturdy enough to handle the level of my frustration.

Just because those other kids acheived higher, does NOT mean they are gifted!!! Just because he scored lower does NOT mean hes typical.

Frankly, if you interpolate his scores to above grade level in reading it was 50%ile 8th grade. Math was 50%ile 6th grade.

Those were HUGE gains given he's not been EXPOSED to those levels of math and reading in the classroom.

It makes me sick that they are patting themselves on the back over his gains and they have no clue that what it really means is he's capable of learning very rapidly and they are still going to give it to him drip by tedious drip.

blech.
    shudder.
    breathe breathe breathe

Willa Gayle
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM