Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well, we just got back from the open house. It was good insofar that they're very proactive in making it "a challenging experience for every student no matter their ability". That is a great sign. If nothing else, when speaking to them down the road--not now but later--we can reference the fact that is part of their mission statement.

However (you knew there was a however right smile ) the are certainly focusing on helping the lower end. As someone who has a special needs Uncle, I sincerely think that's great and those children need help. But there was very little discussion about challenging the children on the upper ends (even though it was in the mission statement). Without getting political, I think this is part of the problem when you don't use a metric that shows all student's growth during a year. The metric that was shown was how much better this school's proficiency level is when compared to the state. Our school is great by that metric. If I was a school administrator and that was my primary metric, then where would I focus on my efforts on? The people not making their grade level proficiency. Ugh.

Stepping off of the soap box now. Sorry for the distraction, nothing to see here smile

Got to meet the teacher (I was impressed) but didn't get a chance to do introductions. Saw DS's desk. He didn't tell us he was student of the day! Also got the sense that it's still an usual thing for a typical first grader to be reading. Got to meet the librarian and we had the chance to warn her that she might get asked for certain books... She was a bit stunned but I think it's okay to start getting them comfortable with DS and his current level.

At any rate, can't wait until Friday AM. Our teacher seems "with it" so I am hopeful.

JB

JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Val
    Here's what I've been learning in a practical way recently: people are most motivated when they have ownership of an idea.

Yes, ownership is key. I agree 100%. So really what it comes down to for this meeting is: making sure he's doing good, follow up questions on what is coming up curriculum-wise (tonight helped to get us educated a little), and then striking a balance between telling her what we observe and asking her how we can support her with DS to keep him engaged. So hopefully she'll find a solution (with our help!) and we'll bridge the gap between now and when the GIEP is in place.

JB (still optimistic...)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM