Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    I agree, kimck. And, um, just a general reminder: not everyone here is a Christian.

While I believe that a familiarity with Christianity is necessary to be culturally literate in the United States, that does NOT mean that I believe everyone should read the Bible. That's two very different things! Cultural literacy means that you recognize that there's some Christian symbolism in The Chronicles of Narnia. Reading the Bible, at least as it is being discussed in some of the posts here, is religious instruction. That's not appropriate for this forum.

I feel like we're bordering upon evangelism in some of the posts here, and it's making me very uncomfortable, especially for my friends on the forum who are wonderful, caring, spiritual people, and are not Christians. Could we beware of making assumptions?

Thanks. smile

Kriston
    Mia Offline
    Originally Posted by Mia
    So I also suggest reading the Bible, or even take a theology class! There's loads of interesting stuff to be learnt, even if you don't subscribe to all of it.

I stand behind my suggestion -- the Bible is a fascinating read! And I'm not remotely, remotely religious. It *has* been instrumental in Western society, whether one believes the text literally, figuratively, or not at all. So I think it's one of those things that are useful to have in your back pocket. smile

On that note, I wish I could say I've read more religious books, but I just haven't. I wanted to take a Religions of Southeast Asia class in college, but I couldn't make one fit *ever*! I was sorely disappointed.

On my list of things to do: Read religious manuscripts. smile

Mia
    Originally Posted by Mia
    On my list of things to do: Read religious manuscripts. smile

Now, see, that I can buy into. smile

I was a religion and philosophy double-minor in college. I did read the Bible, but I also read lots of other stuff from lots of other points of view. That works for me, just as it works for you, Mia!

I just don't want this thread to turn evangelical and become unpleasant for people of other faiths. This forum has always been very inclusive. I want that to continue.

Kriston
    S
    S
    Wow, lots of interesting discussion. My thoughts are that it is good to figure out what your thoughts and beliefs are first, and then have a discussion. If you don't know answers that they have...then look into it. And chances are some things will be difficult to explain. Christianity is important to us, I teach at our church (well more like sing since it's 6mo olds to 17 month olds) and DS goes to class. He often has cute little kid questions (like when he whispers he wonders if God can hear him). But some questions are harder to explain answers to. I do my best...but how do you explain to a child (or an adult) how God can be everywhere or do anything...or why he doesn't do some things. It's a challenge but it is fun. Often times when you are a part of a religion, morals and values come along with it and there is a lot of character building in classes at church. I also agree with some of the other posters about reading the Bible without other people giving their interpretations. Also if you want to teach bible stories and character building, etc. you can get little kids books. We have a few, someone just gave us a book called "3 minute bible stories" it seems pretty good. There are tons of great books out there.

But, that being said....there are other ways to do character building and raise a child with great values and morals unrelated to religion. So even before having any specific belief system you can teach the whole "treat others how you want to be treated" Although it is a Christian principle...it is fairly accepted belief among most people regardless of faith.

Mia Offline
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    So even before having any specific belief system you can teach the whole "treat others how you want to be treated" Although it is a Christian principle...it is fairly accepted belief among most people regardless of faith.

I think this is the driving principal behind all religions, and what I try to instill in my ds. It's not a Christian principle ... it's a *human* principle. smile

Mia
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    ...it's making me very uncomfortable, especially for my friends on the forum who are wonderful, caring, spiritual people...

And don't forget your wonderful, caring, non-spiritual, atheist friends!

Originally Posted by Mia
    I think this is the driving principal behind all religions, and what I try to instill in my ds. It's not a Christian principle ... it's a *human* principle. smile

Is empathy a value in all cultures?

Reciprocity is certainly a unifying principle in game theory, but it may be more honored as in an eye for an eye, rather than preventing harm to others!

I've had discussions on Morals with Chinese, Hindus, tribal Africans, and Pashtuns. While they may reach many or some of the same results, the methods and justifications are very different. Some things are very strange, too.

Interestingly, most non-Western cultures never discovered Logic and are incapable of valueing an abstract discussion and hence Truth does not exist. ( OTOH, Truth does not lock them in, either. )

This has been an intersting conversation, I see that discussing theological ideology can be touchy. But, I don't think anyone has said one belief is better than the other or dissed anyone, right?

I actually like that I can say I'm a big Christ groupie and Cathy expresses she is an atheist.

I think Cathy rocks, it has nothing to do with whether or not she is spiritual, atheist.....etc.

We can have different views, even on such a loaded subject, yet like and respect each other for a multitude of other reasons.

Right Cathy? whistle(please say yes, please say yes, please say yes)

Originally Posted by incogneato
    We can have different views, even on such a loaded subject, yet like and respect each other for a multitude of other reasons.

Right Cathy? whistle(please say yes, please say yes, please say yes)

You know I wouldn't be hanging around here if I didn't like and respect the other posters. smile

The title of this thread caught my eye because my kids ask lots of questions about religion, too. But I have hesitated to post my own thoughts on the topic. I agree that in order to answer your kids' questions you need to have answered those questions for yourself first.

Originally Posted by Cathy A
    And don't forget your wonderful, caring, non-spiritual, atheist friends!

Them, too! smile

(Though I think even atheists can be spiritual people. Maybe the spirit is the human spirit, but I don't think atheism precludes a sense of spirituality, as in being a part of something bigger than one's self.)

Anyway, I'm glad you're speaking up, Cathy. Thanks for that!

Kriston
    Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM