Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    OP Offline
    Aw, thanks. blush

Oh, something I forgot to mention. Back to the original post where I mentioned using The Force to explain God -- we did have a Star Wars moment after class today. At the grocery store, there was a display of clone wars books by the cash register. DD4 starts doing the darth vader baddie music "duh duh duh, dum dum dum, dum dum dum." He got a few smiles. I was so proud.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 09/08/08 08:29 PM.
    Here St. Pauli girl, to redeem myself:

Chemical Brothers vs. John Williams
    Galvanize the Empire.

smile

OP Offline
    Love it!

Great conversation. I'd like to add a thought. I teach sunday school at our parish, and the book we use for kindergarten level is called God is Love. I think that title is very true and works across the board for many many religious perspectives as a good start to a chat.
    As for some deeper food for your own thoughts, you might consider the writings of St. Augustine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustine_of_Hippo

Good luck finding your balance! smile

B
    BKD Offline
    B
    DS6 came home from school a couple of months ago announcing that he'd had to set his friends straight about their religious beliefs. It goes: earth, atmosphere, space. No heaven - he's seen the photos from space. And people don't really fly, so clearly no angels either. I thought it was quite funny, but followed up with a bit of a talk about the various things people believe. We're not religious, but think it's important to understand where other people are coming from.

For exposure to something different as a conversation starter - do you get Monkey in the States? It hasn't screened here (Aus) for a long time, but we were lent the first season's episodes and the boys loved them. Mostly for the monsters and fight scenes, but they were also interested in Buddha, the Jade Emperor, Bodhisattva etc, and why Monkey et al were sent on their pilgrimage.

C
    C
    We had to get into religion because we live in a very evangelical neighborhood. Easter was a rough time for us. Even though I was raised Baptist, I'm not sure your average 4 year old should be told the story of Easter in such a graphic way! DS was certain there were ghosts in our house watching him, that all dead people come to haunt you and that if you're weird, you will get killed in front of a crowd. Not the intended message I know... but what his 4 year old brain extracted from it.

I think sometimes the best thing to stick to in these situations is a "What do you think?" and see where it goes from there. We're also very careful to say "Mommy and Daddy believe... but... others think... and you can make up your own mind."

Originally Posted by CAMom
    I think sometimes the best thing to stick to in these situations is a "What do you think?" and see where it goes from there. We're also very careful to say "Mommy and Daddy believe... but... others think... and you can make up your own mind."

I agree wholeheartedly. And if you can expose them to the beliefs of others beyond Christianity, so much the better!

I think it pays to remember that Christians are in the minority in the world. While it is important to understand Christianity in order to be culturally literate in the U.S., there are other options available. And there are plenty of good, moral people who aren't religious at all.

Kriston
    W
    W
    As an adult, I met a man who had a Jewish mother, Catholic father and on Saturdays he practiced one religion, on Sundays the other. Poor child...

Anyway, he got a lifelong love of the differences of religion and taught a very popular class at some Protestant church. He brought in speakers from various religions and talked about them.

DH and I were both brought up Catholic, me not so strict, he altar boy, though claims athesim now. DD refuses to enter a church, though she is baptized.

We were thinking we need to go this family mass to get her introduced to religion but music class conflicts.

Anyway, we watch the Fantasia video and it does introduced the myths, so I forgot who recommended that path, but it was an excellent way to introduce the concepts of believes in "gods".

We do grace, DH, despite his atheism, does the traditional, when he is not there, I do a spiritual version. DD seems to like mine and asks me, when we are alone, about what I am saying and why.

She seems to like spiritualism because it allows everyone to believe what they want and then understand that everyone can have their own story as backdrop.

Ren

B
    B
    Good conversation. I think this all confirms for sure that especially in this culture it is extremely important for us each to read the Bible (especially to the New Testiment) and understand it for ourselves. Trusting others to tell you what is says and what "spirituality" is all about is just the Blind leading the Blind I'm afraid (hey! That's in the Bible :-))
    I think that's a really good starting point. It also seems that it lends God the chance to reveal Himself. Again... not relying on others to reveal Him.
    Good. good.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Originally Posted by CAMom

I agree wholeheartedly. And if you can expose them to the beliefs of others beyond Christianity, so much the better!

I think it pays to remember that Christians are in the minority in the world. While it is important to understand Christianity in order to be culturally literate in the U.S., there are other options available. And there are plenty of good, moral people who aren't religious at all.

Yes - what Kriston said, as usual (and CA mom too). We are UU. And that's exactly how we phrase everything to DS and DD - this is what we think, this is what others think, you're free to develop your own brand of spirituality. That you can draw wisdom and inspiration from many sources. DS knows about as many stories about Buddha as Jesus. I think especially for GT kids that are thinking hard about this at very young ages, it's important to know where you as a parent stand! I remember being thrown for a loop when DS had about 6 months when he was approaching 5 where he had so many hard, hard questions about the universe and death. Now his sister is starting. crazy It is feeling easier the 2nd time! I have my answers down.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM