Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #25125 09/06/08 07:44 PM
    G
    Ginny Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    I have tried to gather support and suggestions for negotiating with my son's public school, but it seems like this is going to be very difficult.

What do folks know about home schooling a high school student? I, of course don't want to do anything that might present obstacles when it comes time for college.

My son has his sights set on MIT or Dartmouth, and he really has the possibility of getting into both. I have spoken with admissions officers, but they are a little vague.

I would love to hear some real life stories from folks who may have chosen this option. Did it work? Do you fell like it was the right decision?

Ginny #25128 09/06/08 08:29 PM
    Well, I know that many colleges--including respected universities like the Ivy-League schools--now have policies in place for accepting homeschooled students. That's a sign that it is recognized by the university community as an acceptable (and even desirable!) form of education.

While there are a number of homeschoolers active on this forum, and a few who have older kids (Lorel comes immediately to mind!), you might also think about asking this question on a homeschooling forum or e-list, just to get more comprehensive help. Most of us who comment regularly and are homeschooling have younguns, I'm afraid, and we won't be as much help to you as you might find on a homeschooling forum. The one that comes immediately to mind is TAGMAX, if you're not already on it. Here's a link to where to sign up: http://www.tagfam.org/ .

If it helps, I don't think you have to worry that homeschooling precludes admission to a "good" school. 20 years ago, that might have been true. Today, a good candidate who is homeschooled is going to be welcomed by universities. They want to see passion and leadership, so just make sure that he has opportunities for both. If he excels, he has as good a shot as anyone!

Kriston
    Kriston #25132 09/06/08 09:19 PM
    I've heard colleges are really loving homeschoolers. They come in and are already self-directed learners. I think if the work is well documented that's a good start.

Doesn't Stanford have on online high school? I know there have been some postings on that for parents who want a certain kind of documentation of high school credentials.

You might check out homeschool.com. I'm considering getting her book and I think there is a chapter in it on HSing high school and prep for college.

Hi Ginny-

I have a son who went from homeschool to college with no problem. He didn't get into his top choice, but he is a bit lopsided (has Asperger's) and his extracurriculars were pretty thin. He is excelling at a small private LAC (liberal arts college) at this point.

MIT is very accepting of homeschooled students. The admissions office has said that homeschoolers acclimate well and are valued members of the MIT community. I talked to an admissions officer at Yale last Spring, (in preparation for a talk I was doing on homeschooling) and he said that they are very open to homeschooled applicants, and that they accept a higher percentage of homeschoolers than they do from the general applicant population. Did I say that so that it makes sense? They might get only a handful of homeschool applicants each year, but those kids have a better chance of getting in than those in the general applicant pool. This is because they have the opportunity to do things "outside the box" according to Yale. They expect homeschoolers to take advantage of their freedom and do unique things with their time.

You can look at my friend Karl's site for info on what colleges accept homeschoolers: http://learninfreedom.org/colleges_4_hmsc.html

Cafi Cohen has written a couple good guidebooks for homeschooling teens and their parents. Her kids were admitted to selective colleges; one attended the Air Force Academy.

Homeschooling can be a wonderful and very rewarding experience for older kids. It also paves the way to college success, as kids can get used to self directed learning.

hth!

Ginny #25161 09/07/08 02:03 PM
    Hi Ginny,
    My son is in 8th grade, and I'm hoping High School goes well for him, but if not, I keep looking at http://epgy.stanford.edu/ohs/index.html

Smiles,
    grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #25167 09/07/08 03:22 PM
    Q
    Q
    Ginny, I think you should talk to Stanford just to get your question answered. Their online high school students are from all over the world and don't just go to Stanford. If your son is well-positioned for admission to Dartmouth and MIT, I'm sure you'd want to talk to Stanford anyway. I'm sure they'd share their admissions stats with you, as they would with any potential student/family.

CFK #25179 09/07/08 07:51 PM
    Ouch.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi Ginny

Is your son currently a freshman? Are there other high schools you can talk to that might be more willing to work with you?
    Does your state have a virtual cyber charter school? (that could be free online high school)

We haven't had much success with the high school either, but DS has yet to entertain other options (even though I've presented them to him several times). I'd have to have his buy-in or else it wouldn't work--what does your DS say/want?

cym #25212 09/08/08 07:54 AM
    I know a boy who enrolled in EPGY high before 13. I think he might have been ten when he started.

I've heard more mixed reviews of the program, but mainly positive things. It is supposed to be VERY rigorous and demanding, some say more difficult in terms of workload than classes at four year colleges.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM