Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #2449 04/09/07 08:06 PM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    This a.m. Mite(9) got up a little late as last night was the last night to stay up late before school starts back tomorrow.

He came downstairs fully dressed in a dress shirt button wrong TWICE (lower half wrong, middle button right, top half wrong), jeans on BACKWARDS with the zipper facing the back. Underwear apparently only lifted up one leg (I discovered this when helping him rearrange later). Two different pairs of socks...with a different one on top of each different foot -- black one over white on left and white one over left on right.

His hair, which I now swear has dyspraxia, too, was sticking up all over the place. He still had the red, wrinkle imprint on his cheek from sleeping on that side.

I laughed when I saw him and told him to go look in the mirror. He laughed too, but then got somber and said, "But Momma sometimes it just seems too complicated to get all this stuff on right. It's like it's just made to torment my tired, dyspraxic mind."

I laughed again. He needs to see the funny side of things and to understand how things he says sounds cute and funny sometimes. He giggled, too.

I helped him rearranged his attire and he looked presentable, but it was a funny moment for a few seconds. Then the reality of how it bothers him came back.

It was sooooo cute, though.

Willa Gayle
    D
    D
    Here is a funny 2E story regarding my 12 yo daughter (remember 2nd percentile for phonological discrimination).

I had to run to the church (Catholic school) to deliver her stole for her school�s honor society today. She called from a classmate�s cell phone to request I bring it by 9am. I walked into the church through a side door in clear view of a packed crowd and the priest at 8:40 wearing my gym clothes and sheepishly asked a classmate to pass it to her. Apparently the mass began at 8:30.

The 2E part: Students are eligible for honor society from 6th though 8th grade. Our daughter was inducted last year as a 6th grader. The current honor society members are required to induct the new members during a special ceremony each year. She told me last night that she would need to remember her stole because they were going to �abduct� new members today. I told her that the correct word was �induct�, but she argued with me and told me, �Well, that is not was Mr. _____ called it�. I had to prove it to her by looking the word up.

Also yesterday, my son used the word paraplegic only he pronounced it �parafalegic�. I had to tell him there was no �f� in the word and we practiced pronouncing it several times. I was in sixth grade before I learned that �bally ball� was really �volley ball�.

Amazingly they test very high for vocab skills, spelling is another issue.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM