Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    Cnm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hello!

My five-year-old daughter completed K-TEA 3 testing today.
    These are her core composites:
    ASB: 149
    Reading: 160
    Math: 148
    Writing: 148

She is already grade skipped to first grade. It's also worth noting that her birthday was the deadline for being able to start kindergarten, so if she had been born one day later, she wouldn't have been able to start kindergarten until next fall.

These scores should qualify her for Davidson Young Scholars, correct?

I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed even though this wasn't unexpected. She is my fifth gifted child, but it seems as if her needs are going to be the most profound.

Last edited by Cnm; 06/01/23 04:47 PM.
    C
    Cnm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Also, it's my understanding that 160 is the ceiling of the test. Am I correct that if both Reading Comprehension and Letter & Word Recognition are 160, her reading ability is potentially even higher than represented by the 160 composite? Are there extended norms available for K-TEA 3?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Just making a general announcement (I see you, purpleviolin & 13umm!)...it's the end of the year crunch for me right now, but I do plan to respond to several recent posts when the dust has cleared a bit...

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Thanks aeh! I don't mind waiting at all for your insights and expertise. in the mean time, i read similar posts and your comments to those posts. I have learned so much from your inputs!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Cnm
    These scores should qualify her for Davidson Young Scholars, correct?
    Reading the information currently posted online here, https://www.davidsongifted.org/gifted-programs/young-scholars/admissions/eligibility-and-testing/...

The KTEA-3 is listed as an allowable achievement test, and the scores appear to be qualifying scores, therefore I would encourage you to apply! However, be aware that the Davidson Institute states:
    Originally Posted by website
    The Davidson Institute Review Committee is not able to determine whether a child qualifies for the Young Scholar program without a complete application, as testing information is evaluated in the context of the rest of the application materials.

As part of the application process for the Young Scholar program at least one of the following tests must be submitted. The only tests accepted are those listed below. To be considered, the following testing requirements must be met...

Thanks Aeh. I was wondering why the forum seemed to have less activity than usual, but people are probably registering for summer camps and reading report cards right now, smile

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Okay...I'm back. Whew!

Cnm, there typically are not extended norms for achievement tests, as there is a point at which a more useful measure becomes criterion-referenced (vs age/grade-norm-referenced, which is what most achievement tests reported here are), so that one may determine a true instructional level.

But let's imagine there were extended norms. A 160 on both letter/word and reading comp does generate a small range of ways to reach 160 on the composite, but it's only about seven points of room. More importantly, the subtests each have about 30 raw score points (out of about 100 in each case) range that results in the same 160 max standard scores. So yes, these reading scores may not fully capture your child's reading skills, but the ceiling would hit at the subtest level, and would be visible in the raw scores.

On a side note, did they report those scores as age- or grade-based, and, if grade, were these k or grade 1 norms? (I'm assuming kindergarten or age-norms at the moment.)

And fwiw, the math and writing scores may be somewhat more affected by instructional exposure, since some math requires knowledge of the arbitrary conventions (what specific symbols represent), as does writing (e.g., punctuation and writing formats, such as how to address an envelope or write greetings in a letter).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM