Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    B
    B
    You wrote:
    Right now, the tests only judge proficiency at grade level. My older child probably would have passed the fifth grade proficiency exam years ago, but instead, each year all he got to show was that he was proficient at first grade skills, proficient at 2nd grade skills, etc. As long as he showed as proficient, no one really cared that he'd learned next to nothing all year in class and that almost all his learning was done outside of school.

I know what you mean; I brought that very thought up to our school's staff. I had noticed that most of my family could be any number of professionals; however they always lack credentials. I want my children to get the notice and credentials, for their abilities, that they deserve. The only way that will happen is if I find a school willing to let them go at their own pace; which means individualized instruction.

B
    B
    My thought is to going virtual school if possible. I am going to try it. At least I will have access to what the children should be doing at what age and they are not as likely to fall way behind in something because I don't know to present it to them. But it should get them more individualized attention.

I have noticed that most times councilors are loth to IQ test before 3rd grade. I am awaiting that very thing for my 8y/o. I am contemplating getting her professionally tested, though it will be around $200. I see that pro testing may be a good idea considering the tests are more accurate and detailed?? I plan to read more to see if that is what many people have experienced.

A
    A
    if you think about it many actors, scientist, artist etc. are probably somewhat gifted and can at least imagine if not relate to the fact that gifted children are held back in our society by either public schools or the inability to pay for private educations.

X
    X
    WE will be be circling in the same problem which is 'no child left behind'. My son is not a average child. He needs more of everything the school can provide but, he is not behind so okey?.I have Many Friends, their children are taking extra lessons because they are behind. I saw the "special education classroom"
    Smart tables, I pads, one by one teaching. I know my boy isnt behind, he is above but struggling in the classroom and no help? Why? WHY? When He was 2 years old he was more happy. In school years, The more He was craving to learn, The more he struggeled. Now he is upset and somehow broken. When He was four years old,He was talking about special magnetic shose he will design for his space shuttle, he was playing with the numbers. Every morning he was running to our bedroom with his silly ideas.( "Oh momy you know what? I will make a space shuttle just behave like a light. IF it can behave like a light I think he can go faster but momy I need to know more. Can you teach me? School can teach me ? No I can not, school can not. but Why ? WHY? WHY?). Now He is learning to disobey and become lazy.He is still the same child I know but he lost his connection. His grade score is getting worse. He is tired.

B
    B
    I agree with this idea because every student is unique and needs an individualized approach to learning. In mass teaching, differences in learning abilities do not occur and do occur and can appear in the underachievement of some enrollees and the undervaluation of parts of others .

Last edited by briattyler94@yah; 03/15/23 07:30 AM.
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM