Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    S
    sj4iy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Current update:

My son has actually done really well since receiving the GIEP and updated 504 plan. Initially, the GIEP only covered math because none of his reading teachers said he needed enrichment on reading. We were okay with this for now, since writing is such a large part of reading and we didn’t want to overwhelm him. But the new 504 has been a big game changer, and he’s improved significantly in reading and writing so much that his reading teacher recommended him for gifted small group reading.

Since he received the GIEP and 504 in the middle of 5th grade, the school didn’t want to do subject acceleration (since I would mean going to a different school building and starting in the middle of the year). We’re not quite where we want to be with his schooling just yet, but even the small changes have made a huge difference in his confidence at school.

Thanks for reading and I’m so glad for all of the recommendations and advice people have. We’ll continue to advocate for his needs, but we’re happy that he’s happier at school.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Excellent news! I'm most pleased that his confidence has improved, and that he is happier. Clearly, you are doing a great job advocating for him and helping him feel supported.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    S
    sj4iy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Last update:

My son has done wonderfully this year. He’s had almost no behavior incidents, and his confidence and social skills have increased greatly. We haven’t had any work refusal in a long time, and he’s been getting his homework done before he even comes home.

His math map scores improved dramatically this year, from 240 to 276. Because of this, the school is putting together an assessment that he can take to see if he can be subject accelerated next year in math. We’ve already put together a team meeting before middle school starts next to make any necessary changes to his 504.

I’m so grateful for all the help I received. It’s been amazing to see him enjoying school for once. Thank you.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    So happy for you and your son! I hope you are both enjoying the freedom of summer, and keep up the good work.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM