Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Hi!

I was wondering what High IQ societies are recommended for someone with a 660 Verbal, 790 math, and 670 logic GRE (this was taken in 1994). I'm near the border of the 99.9% societies, just below apparently, but interestingly I did much better on the practice GRE logic (730) than I did on the actual test.

Mensa seemed close but not at my level, and I love the Puttyverse. I'm looking for a society with a lot of polymaths, especially in the United States.

I went to MIT and find that I have a lot of peers at the Harvard Club at my level. And I've met a few people from the Phillips Andover high school (very prestigious) and I see them as my intellectual equals. I haven't really met many people at my level though outside those areas.

Thanks!

Last edited by acgoldis; 01/03/23 02:01 PM.
    E
    E
    Mensa uses +2 sigma as the cutoff for membership. Above that, the other societies use +3 sigma (Triple nine society) and +4 sigma (Prometheus society) and their entry tests criteria are very strict, so you may have to sit a different test to achieve entry. The problem is that tests for these purposes take a lot of effort and time to design and validate. The internet enables questions and answers to be leaked, so almost all of the applicable tests have been compromised, so membership of these societies have fallen drastically.

The Puttyverse looks fantastic. Amongst mature adults, I’ve found that it’s not so much raw IQ which makes an individual interesting and worth listening to and learning from, but how much expertise they’ve gained in their chosen field(s) of interest.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Looks like Torr accepted my scores and gave me a 147, which looks like a good average of the two scores and a little higher than I expected. Will any other societies like Triple Nine take a Torr reference in lieu of a test which happened to not fit?

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Eagle Mum
    Amongst mature adults, I’ve found that it’s not so much raw IQ which makes an individual interesting and worth listening to and learning from, but how much expertise they’ve gained in their chosen field(s) of interest.

Well said, EagleMum!
    smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM