Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 66 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    JulissaWare, endcityradical, pensionlutz, logo digitizing, Kevin J Dalton
    11234 Registered Users
    November
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5
    6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    13 14 15 16 17 18 19
    20 21 22 23 24 25 26
    27 28 29 30
    Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
    Topic Options
    #250009 - 09/14/22 07:38 PM Re: Math acceleration and teacher attitude questions [Re: coveln]
    aeh Offline

Always good to hear when things go well!

#250017 - 09/22/22 01:33 PM Re: Math acceleration and teacher attitude questions [Re: Eagle Mum]
    coveln Offline

Hi Eagle Mum. Do you mean she is ahead because they will spend awhile reviewing the 8th grade curriculum? I imagine that will be the case. It's always a balance between her being so far ahead that she is miserable in class and going so slow in class that she is miserable. I am hoping that she will find algebra tolerable now that we have effectively jumped her 2 grades and maybe there will be material that she doesn't already know somehow on her own. She just did their beginning of the year STAR testing and actually had an increase since last summer. Typically she is advanced but makes little progress through the year or declines as she doesn't usually do much math outside of school. They didn't give us any report to provide context but her score was 1233, 99 percentile. After pushing the school to skip her I was glad to see that her score seemed to support the jump.

#250019 - 09/23/22 10:52 AM Re: Math acceleration and teacher attitude questions [Re: coveln]
    AlanLuiz Offline

Loc: 1925 15th Terrace N, Birmingh...
    I read this very interesting tips for me

#250021 - 09/24/22 06:05 AM Re: Math acceleration and teacher attitude questions [Re: coveln]
    Eagle Mum Offline

Loc: Australia
    Originally Posted By: coveln
    Hi Eagle Mum. Do you mean she is ahead because they will spend awhile reviewing the 8th grade curriculum? I imagine that will be the case. It's always a balance between her being so far ahead that she is miserable in class and going so slow in class that she is miserable. I am hoping that she will find algebra tolerable now that we have effectively jumped her 2 grades and maybe there will be material that she doesn't already know somehow on her own. She just did their beginning of the year STAR testing and actually had an increase since last summer. Typically she is advanced but makes little progress through the year or declines as she doesn't usually do much math outside of school. They didn't give us any report to provide context but her score was 1233, 99 percentile. After pushing the school to skip her I was glad to see that her score seemed to support the jump.

IME, maintaining momentum is important. Going over the same materials again in class is not, in itself, bad (DS did this all the time), as it serves as a good opportunity to consolidate understanding, but if they are not learning anything new, there’s a high risk that they’ll lose interest. Are you able to extend your/her subscription to the online maths program?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  M-Moderator, Mark D. 
    Recent Posts
    The ultimate brag thread
    by Eagle Mum
    11/22/22 02:19 AM
    Gifted Adults: Living with Emotional Intensity
    by indigo
    11/19/22 12:23 PM
    Understanding testing!
    by Klangedin
    11/13/22 06:35 AM