Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Jasmine Kurb, stevesmith1699, Phoebe Norman, EMdigitizer, Thomas White
    11264 Registered Users
    January
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30 31
    Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
    Topic Options
    #250062 - 10/24/22 08:39 PM Re: Understanding testing! [Re: Klangedin]
    Klangedin Offline

Has anyone had this ability on the forum..

The ability to know where people are going to be by mind reading their plans?

When you play soccer you try to predict your opponent. I do the same thing but with short interactions. I can tell what a person is feeling and what he/she is going to do. And I've been trying to tell people about it but they don't believe me, they think its a psychotic symptom but I'm a good knower of giftedness so I suspect that people who have giftedness can show of remarcable feets of cognition much similar to a savant.

Does anyone else have this "peculiar" ability? I've been told that I have emotional tentacles that reads to much into a situation but the fact is that I've predicted people movement with accuracy for a long time.

What do you think?

#250063 - 10/25/22 03:08 AM Re: Understanding testing! [Re: Klangedin]
    Eagle Mum Offline

Loc: Australia
    It’s likely that gifted individuals inherently analyse situations and people more critically and this gives a better understanding of physical reality and how others would react in different scenarios, which can seem almost psychic/magical.

I wondered if the late author, Terry Pratchett, was alluding to this with his main character in ‘A hat full of sky’, Tiffany Aching, an eleven year old nascent witch who, amongst people who seldom gave anything a second thought, learned to harness the power of third (and even fourth) thoughts.

“First Thoughts are the everyday thoughts. Everyone has those. Second Thoughts are the thoughts you think about the way you think. People who enjoy thinking have those. Third Thoughts are thoughts that watch the world and think all by themselves. They’re rare, and often troublesome. Listening to them is part of witchcraft.” - Terry Pratchett

#250072 - 10/30/22 07:23 AM Re: Understanding testing! [Re: Klangedin]
    Klangedin Offline

What an interesting point of view.. I've often felt dissatisfaction with life as an earning potential and that gathering stuff as a life purpose makes life an never ending game of intrigue of who can get the best out of each other.

I tend to contemplate the value of experience rather then the value of facts and the my subjective opinion is a better guide that reason. In fact, my friend tries to elude at biology´s fixed purpose of survival and reproduction but I sense that such dark thoughts would only spur on greed and dissatisfaction.

#250075 - 10/30/22 01:59 PM Re: Understanding testing! [Re: Klangedin]
    Eagle Mum Offline

Originally Posted By: Klangedin
    I've often felt dissatisfaction with life as an earning potential and that gathering stuff as a life purpose makes life an never ending game of intrigue of who can get the best out of each other.

Agreed, materialism is a pretty empty quest, but I have often contemplated whether it becomes the default for those who haven’t been able to work out how to set their aspirations on something more worthwhile.

I tend to contemplate the value of experience rather then the value of facts and the my subjective opinion is a better guide that reason.

My take is that experience and facts are both important and should complement each other. I agree that personal experiences can and should inform us on how to evaluate new information to incorporate them as ‘facts’ in our understanding of the universe and our place in it.

I think, ideally, we should always be ready and willing to adapt our internal model of reality as new information presents.

#250081 - 11/07/22 05:40 PM Re: Understanding testing! [Re: Klangedin]
    Klangedin Offline

Isn't the deal with facts that its only as true as the author has made it. Real hard facts are hard to come by and most occupations needs several years of study before you can even approach gaining a salary.

For example:
    A doctor studies for 5 years and gets a degree. Gets a fairly low paying job compared to those 5 years of study but if you can stick it out and prove that you are capable that salary can increase tremendously!

#250083 - 11/08/22 04:03 PM Re: Understanding testing! [Re: Klangedin]
    Eagle Mum Offline

Isn't the deal with facts that its only as true as the author has made it. Real hard facts are hard to come by //

I’m no linguistic expert, but my understanding is that the former description is of ‘truth’ and the latter (ie. ‘real hard facts’) are ‘facts’.

We, collectively as the human race, know very little, and as individuals, we each know far less. Our experiences have a great impact on how we understand and negotiate the ‘real universe’ so on a personal level, that is important, but the universe operates according to a set of immutable rules which we only understand imperfectly through models, so ideally, we would do better if we, individually and collectively, keep trying to improve/refine our models for understanding.

Most of us, at some point, realise just how limited and flawed our own models are; then the question becomes how much effort is worth spending to continue to expand & refine our understanding, or whether we just use what we’ve got and find opportunities to enjoy and appreciate whatever we have.

#250084 - 11/09/22 03:13 AM Re: Understanding testing! [Re: Klangedin]
    Klangedin Offline

I am impervious to thoughts because I know that reality is a fleeting illusion and that the imagery we are presented with is fleeting at best.

However, life changes depending on what we see but the pain of life decreases if we learn to understand reality, this is the basis of spiritualism.

#250088 - 11/10/22 03:10 AM Re: Understanding testing! [Re: Klangedin]
    indigo Offline

I am impervious to thoughts because I know that reality is a fleeting illusion and that the imagery we are presented with is fleeting at best.

However, life changes depending on what we see but the pain of life decreases if we learn to understand reality, this is the basis of spiritualism.

These thoughts sound a bit like the move "The Matrix" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Matrix ) and/or the Hindu principle of Maya (https://iskconeducationalservices.org/HoH/concepts/key-concepts/maya-illusion/ ).

This thread has strayed far from the original topic of "Understanding testing!"

#250097 - 11/13/22 06:28 AM Re: Understanding testing! [Re: Klangedin]
    Klangedin Offline

No it has not.. It's just focused on the expression of intelligence rather then the actual test scores..

How you achieve with strange scores is related to "understanding testing"...

I have a slow processing speed and I've learned that because of this I make errors in processing that could be fatal. I need someone who can check my work to see if I've made any.

I'm a great reasoner but my ability to control my mind in a desired direction is bad because of my poor executive functions which is reflected in the processing speed score.

Lack of self control is my diagnosis and not schizophrenia.. It's a shame really... What the processing speed tells me is that I have to make guesses about some information because it might be wrong and that leaves me in a state "dream" rather then correct processing.

It's a weird form of thinking and I don't think poor executive flexibility has anything to do with errors in reasoning because my reasoning was in the gifted range.

What it means is that I have to give myself time to process and that the low coding score means I have to take longer to finish what I've started...

Nothing new here people, just my development!

#250098 - 11/13/22 06:33 AM Re: Understanding testing! [Re: Klangedin]
    Klangedin Offline

I think the reason it sounds of topic is because it's so out there. It's weirdly abstract and not a common topic.

An expression of my intelligence is that I can spend time reasoning about stuff that are permanent. I have claimed that the "harder" the field is to break the more intelligence is needed to be successful in it. I've reasoned this way because intelligence is correlated with achievement and the hardest fields are those of the STEM because those require the highest IQ to be successful in.

It's because of my intelligence that I create rules that I abide that influences how others sees the field. I'm quite sure of myself and the change I bring about but because of my advanced thinking people don't believe me.

Does this sound like psychosis or advanced thinking?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Correlation btw WASI & WISC? Referral form weight?
    by Mali
    Today at 12:06 AM
    Recommendations for high-IQ society to join?
    by indigo
    01/20/23 05:02 PM
    Helping gifted ppl
    by indigo
    01/20/23 04:55 PM
    2e or Misbehaving Because of Other Reasons?
    by aeh
    01/14/23 05:03 PM
    Queen's Gambit, chess, and gifted children
    by mithawk
    01/14/23 12:57 PM
    Davidson Institute Twitter