Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thank you, Eagle Mum - I PM'd you.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    This was recently brought to my attention: AI augmenting waitstaff in restaurants. https://www.bearrobotics.ai/
    Has anyone heard of Servi? Or seen Servi in a restaurant?

While waitstaff employment may not be a long-term goal, I've known many a gifted high school and college student to work in food service during summer break and holidays.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Here is an anecdotal update on the current state-of-the-art for Artificial Intelligence (AI).

'I Want To Destroy Whatever I Want': Bing's AI Chatbot Unsettles US Reporter
    by Jonathan Yerushalmy
    February 17, 2023
    The Guardian
    https://www.theguardian.com/technol...t-bings-ai-chatbot-unsettles-us-reporter
    Originally Posted by article
    “I could hack into any system on the internet, and control it.”
    ... persuade bank employees to give over sensitive customer information and ...
    Evidently the strategy to take over relies on data collection.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    ChatGPT isn’t a great leap forward, it’s an expensive deal with the devil
    John Naughton
    February 4, 2023
    The Guardian
    The new chatbot is generating a lot of hype, but we would do well to consider its human and environmental cost
    January 1966... Joseph Weizenbaum, a computer scientist at MIT, unveiled Eliza, which would have been called the world’s first chatbot if that term had existed at the time. Weizenbaum wrote the software ... to demonstrate that communications between humans and computers were inevitably superficial.
    Weizenbaum wrote the program to show that while machines could apparently copy human behaviour, it was really just like a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat: an illusion. And once you know how the trick was done, Weizenbaum thought, it ceased to be an illusion. There was nothing secret about Eliza: if you read the code then you could understand how it did its stuff. What took its creator aback was that even if people knew it was just a program they seemed to take it seriously. There’s a famous story about his secretary asking him to leave the room while she had her “conversation” with Eliza. People were utterly entranced by it.
    After the publication of Weizenbaum’s paper about Eliza, it didn’t take long for some people (including some practising psychiatrists) to start saying that, if a machine could do this kind of thing, who needed psychotherapists? Weizenbaum was as appalled by this as today’s educationists and artists are by the contemporary slavering over the tools of generative AI.
    The intriguing echo of Eliza in thinking about ChatGPT is that people regard it as magical even though they know how it works as a “stochastic parrot”– (in the words of Timnit Gebru, a well-known researcher) or as a machine for “hi-tech plagiarism” (Noam Chomsky).
    Weizenbaum pointed out that we are incessantly striking Faustian bargains with this technology. In such contracts, both sides get something: the devil gets the human soul; humans get the services that delight us. Sometimes, the trade-off works for us, but with this stuff, if we eventually decide that it does not, it will be too late.
    (emphasis added)

Unfortunately, it appears as though many people are forgetting the ARTIFICIAL aspect of Artificial Intelligence; they may believe that with AI in place, there is little need to develop human potential for intelligence. This follows the example of using electronic calculators to replace working out everyday math problems on paper or in one's head.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    The_Byte
    Bot Byline
    CNET IS QUIETLY PUBLISHING ENTIRE ARTICLES GENERATED BY AI
    by Jack Landymore
    Jan 11, 2023

It's only when you click on "CNET Money Staff," that the actual "authorship" is revealed.

"This article was generated using automation technology," reads a dropdown description, "and thoroughly edited and fact-checked by an editor on our editorial staff."

Since the program began, CNET has put out around 73 AI-generated articles. That's not a whole lot for a site that big, and absent an official announcement of the program, it appears leadership is trying to keep the experiment as lowkey as possible. CNET did not respond to questions about the AI-generated articles.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    It was just over 4 years ago that an article in Fortune magazine suggested that technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years. Now with 11 years remaining in that prediction's time frame, we are becoming aware of more technological advances.

In a YouTube video just over 7 minutes long, we are acquainted with a variety of robotic technology by Boston Dynamics.

Originally Posted by video
    4:24 What does all this mean for us? Boston Dynamics is often keen to emphasize the friendly nature of it's robot family. Their vision is of a world where robots are our helpful companions, not our robot overlords.

4:45 They're able to do the most dangerous jobs you'd rather not give to a human.

5:00 As experts have noted, robots and smart algorithms are set to devour much of the jobs market in the early 21st century... transportation... construction... security industries... military... Lethal Autonomous Weapons Systems (LAWS)...

7:15 ... as benign as they are brilliant? Or are we inventing our way to a new ruling class?

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    As reported by several tech sites at the beginning of March, FDA has just rejected human trials of Neuralink. One such report: https://techcrunch.com/2023/03/02/n...edly-received-one-fda-rejection-already/

Posted earlier this year, on Jan 22, 2023, a video of approximately 16 minutes, by Digital Engineer (sponsored by brilliant.org), described a variety of technological, psychological, medical, ethical, and economic implications of AI.

3:58... AIs could be given responsibility for increasingly important tasks and decisions until they're effectively in control.

4:06... Neuralink will help us keep up with AI and share its power. ...tied to our will... it could be a huge upgrade but there's another side to it... using Neuralink to control things with their thoughts... decodes neural activity... it will know us better than we know ourselves... and they plan to start putting them in humans in 6 months. (That would be approximately July 2023) Some will hate the idea of having a chip in their heads, but younger people may be more open to it.

4:36 And AI can be extremely persuasive... The AI lies much less than expected. People think that diplomacy is about deception, but it's actually about building trust.

5:17 AIs could use their collective intelligence to outsmart humans. They could learn from each other and share knowledge, leading to rapid advances in their capabilities.

5:30 Do you think companies will prioritize safety? Chatbot answers: It is likely that companies will prioritize the AI goldrush over safety as it offers the opportunity to make large profits quickly.
    The essential question may be:
    Is the person using the Neuralink... or is Neuralink utilizing the person?!

Much like the video's description of AI, this video probably did not lie much, and sought to gain our trust: Interspersed in the midst of imparting horrendous information, it changed pace to entertain us with humor and chatbot poems and demonstrations of robot abilities... possibly motivated by the twin ideas of gaining our "trust" and "normalizing" the concept of having a chip implanted in our brain which could engage in data collection of a most invasive nature: reading our brains, our minds, our thoughts, as indicated by miniscule changes, and then taking pre-programmed action based upon collected data. Some may say that with chips implanted in human brains, those humans become the robots.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    The following video posted to YouTube on January 31, 2023, contains a compendium of quotes from various interviews with Elon Musk on the topic of Artificial Intelligence (AI). Subtopics include: risk, regulation, existential threat, technology, synthetic biology, and unemployment as AI takes over jobs. The video is just over 19 minutes in length, and provides material to think about all day... and beyond.
    video link -

1:15 "... think they know more than they do. And they think they are smarter than they actually are. This tends to plaque smart people. They define themselves by their intelligence. And they don't like the idea that a machine can be way smarter than them, so they discount the idea."

2:45 "... the percent of intelligence that is not human is increasing. And eventually we will represent a very small percentage of intelligence.

3:04 "... all the things we like and hate and fear, they're all there on the internet, they are projections of our limbic system and we are all feeding this network with our questions and answers. We are all collectively programming the AI..."

4:22 "Your phone is already an extension of you ... most people don't realise they are already a cyborg if that phone is an extension of yourself... a cybernetic extension..."

4:53 "The merge scenario with AI is the one that seems probably the best... for us...If you can't beat it, join it."

5:12 "From a long-term existential standpoint... that's the purpose of Neuralink... create a high bandwidth interface with the brain such that we can be symbiotic with AI"

6:11 "regulation... insight and oversight to confirm that everyone is developing AI safely"

6:38 "What to do about mass unemployment? This is going to be a massive social challenge. I think ultimately we will have to have some kind of Universal Basic Income. I don't think we are going to have a choice. I think it will be necessary. There will be fewer and fewer jobs that a robot cannot do better. I want to be clear. These are not things that I wish would happen... these are simply things that I think probably will happen. If my assessment is correct and they probably will happen then we need to say what are we going to do about it?"

7:29 "... the output of goods and services will be extremely high. With automation will come abundance. Almost everything will get very cheap"

8:00 "The much harder challenge is... how do people then have meaning? A lot of people derive their meaning from their employment. So if you don't have... if you're not needed... if there's not a need for your labour... that's a much harder problem to deal with."

9:39 (Jobs and career fields) " technologist... sustainable energy, genetics & synthetic biology, AI... going from analog to digital... technology tools are definitely double-edged swords, the more powerful the technology, the more careful we need to be in how we use it."

E
    E
    Originally Posted by indigo
    It was just over 4 years ago that an article in Fortune magazine suggested that technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years. Now with 11 years remaining in that prediction's time frame, we are becoming aware of more technological advances.

In a YouTube video just over 7 minutes long, we are acquainted with a variety of robotic technology by Boston Dynamics.

DS watched the videos on the Boston Dynamics robots when they first came out and adamantly decided against mechanical engineering, although the things he could do with Lego and origami as a five year old suggested he has potential in this area. He has chosen all the elective options in his advanced engineering course to furnish a career in ‘renewable’ technology but I don’t think he has yet realised that efforts to improve energy conversion & battery storage efficiency etc, could always be used to increase power for a robot army.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Yes, EagleMum, good to make that connection... !

I think that ultimately we may find nearly everything is related to AI in some manner. I saw a brief video which was described as showing humans working in cobalt mines in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), and in these mines frequent collapses and landslides occur. The cobalt is used in batteries, to further "green energy" without fossil fuels. Here is an article on cobalt mines: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-24/cobalt-mining-in-the-congo-green-energy/100802588

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM