Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 60 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    A.I. Expert Says Automation Could Replace 40% of Jobs in 15 Years
    by Don Reisinger
    Fortune
    January 10, 2019

Originally Posted by article
    An artificial intelligence expert and venture capitalist predicts automation will cause major changes in the workforce.

Speaking to CBS News’ Scott Pelley in an interview for 60 Minutes on Sunday, Kai Fu Lee said that he believes 40% of the world’s jobs will be replaced by robots capable of automating tasks.

Considering that a 40% job loss to technology may result in rampant unemployment among the workforce, families may want to help their students develop a firm understanding of:
    - financial literacy (personal finance and budgeting),
    - lifestyle choices (needs vs wants),
    - prognosticating when choosing potential future careers
    ..(US Occupational Outlook Handbook here: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/).

P
    P
    I am still waiting for that paperless office that was supposed to be here 20 years ago and those shorter work hours.

M
    M
    I sort of agree with this prediction. I actually give it about 20 years. What inspired that thought was stories like this: Big Swing: Robot Sportswriter Outperforms Human. That's the kind of under-the-radar report that I've seen turn into disruption in the past. As much as I'd like it to be robots, the real disruption is a dozen programmers writing software that can do the job of thousands of people for a small annual subscription fee.

I think the safe jobs are going to be the one's requiring a broken thing to be fixed. We've had visions of robots replacing production lines for a long time, but an automated mechanic/plumber/electrician doesn't come up much. I don't think it's impossible, but it's probably a lower priority.

Last edited by mckinley; 01/28/19 02:29 PM.
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Recent WSJ article -

White-Collar Robots Are Coming for Jobs
    A combination of AI and globalization could reshape the workforce like nothing we’ve seen before. Richard Baldwin, professor of International Economics at the Graduate Institute, Geneva, explains.
    By Richard Baldwin
    The Wall Street Journal
    January 31, 2019

W
    W
    I think it will be less than 10 years. Saw a speech by an AI expert at U of Toronto who said agi would be way off and 6 months later, a company announced that they were close and AGI would be within 5 years.

Besides the trades, there is also picking food. Even with AI in agriculture, someone has to pick the food.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Just a few links related to this topic...

Machine Learning, a branch of Artificial Intelligence (AI). Interesting vocabulary and translation:
    Originally Posted by vocabulary equivalence (summarized in chart form)
    common usage - - Statistics - - - - - - - -Machine Learning
    target - - - - - - -- dependent variable - label
    -- - - - - - - - - - - -variable - - - - - - - - -feature
    -- - - - - - - - - - - -transformation - - - --feature creation
    Read about Data Mining and its uses, including predicting outcomes/performance/achievement in Education.
    To what degree might the current encouragement for ALL pupils to go on to college be driven by the desire to collect a more robust set of data on the population?

Example of a successful application:
    data analytics, used for focused marketing (2012).
    How many human jobs might these analytics have replaced?

Example of mixed application:
    No pilot required (or maybe having a knowledgeable human pilot who can override the system, is still a good idea?)

Example of unsuccessful application:
    What happens when human cannot override machine? (Tesla)

Example of use in medical diagnosis:
    doctors who may rely on AI... could miss out on learning

Related Article on AI and Engineering:
    a growing number of narrow AIs that exceed human abilities

Related depiction in entertainment:
    Sci-fi movie WALL-E (2008) Rated G
    Robots (such as WALL-E and EVE) work, most people have nothing to do and suffer greatly for it.

The Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) does not yet appear to be updated with information regarding the role of technology (AKA: Artificial Intelligence (AI), machine learning, data analytics and other computer functions) in reducing jobs available for humans in the foreseeable future.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Self-driving trucks begin mail delivery test for U.S. Postal Service
    Heather Somerville
    Reuters
    Business News
    May 21, 2019 / 5:08 AM

San Diego-based startup TuSimple said its self-driving trucks will begin hauling mail between USPS facilities in Phoenix and Dallas to see how the nascent technology might improve delivery times and costs.
    The pilot program involves five round trips, each totaling more than 2,100 miles (3,380 km) or around 45 hours of driving.

Here is a link to the San Diego-based startup TuSimple.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    In this old thread, what does your child want to be when they grow up? (2015), it is interesting to see the jobs, careers, and pasttimes envisioned by the children who will be the future adults facing the tech-takeover of many functions.

In an article titled "The Case for Compassionate Meritocracy" (https://neuralnetworking.substack.com/p/the-case-for-compassionate-meritocracy), by Neural Networking, dated March 25, 2021, the author suggests that technology-driven GDP growth might fund future universal income rather than allowing the wealth to be retained by the few roboticists and AI researchers. Also note that "the text-generating GPT-3 neural network ... wrote parts of several paragraphs" of that article. Additional information on GPT-3 which may be of interest: https://www.digitaltrends.com/features/openai-gpt-3-text-generation-ai/

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    This thread about technology replacing jobs, and specifically the post about self-driving trucks, came to mind when I saw this news story today:

Tesla driver ticketed for falling asleep while on autopilot at 82 mph
    MSN news
    May 18, 2021
    A 911 caller reported the car would speed up when not around other cars and then slow down again as it approached traffic.
    "If someone's not holding the steering wheel for 30 seconds it will automatically turn off autopilot..."

Tesla mandates that the operator keep their hands on the steering wheel at all times and always maintain control of the vehicle while utilizing the autopilot feature.
    In this instance, automation may have saved lives.
    And yet, the irony is, this person was commuting to their job as a driver for a delivery service!

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    This article may be of interest:

Top 10 Jobs That Robotics And Automation Will Take Over In 2022
    by Disha Sinha
    Dec 13, 2021
    Analytics Insight

Many of these may not be the dreamed-about career, but several jobs in the service industry or in office work have historically been great high school and college employment, providing a broad array of opportunities to learn and practice a variety of employment skills.
    ]1. Salesperson in Retail Stores
    2. Receptionists
    3. Delivery People
    4. Bookkeeping Clerk
    5. Customer Service Employee
    6. Accountants
    7. Proofreaders
    8. War Soldiers
    9. Bomb Squad
    10. Typists
    One position, [i]accountant, has been a much sought-after opportunity for a variety of businesses.

Human proofreaders understand the crafting of a new portmanteau, or a punny turn of a phrase, which artificial intelligence (AI) may, unfortunately, "correct" causing work to lose originality and the authentic voice of the author. (How often we may experience auto-corrupt rather than auto-correct!)

I see the prognosticated takeover of these jobs by automation and robotics as a change in society, to an ever-increasing reliance on the grid, while decreasing self-reliance and the development of a number of skills in creative thinking, work-around alternatives and stop-gap measures, short-term and long-term thinking and planning, interpersonal communication, teamwork, flexibility and resilience.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM