Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I am re-reading this a few years later and just wanted to add a few notes that might help others in a similar situation.

• I did some reading on Oppositional Defiance Disorder (ODD) because I felt like his behavior was inching towards that diagnosis. I also found some information that gifted boys can often get misdiagnosed as having ODD, and there can be some overlapping traits between ODD and being gifted. The treatment for ODD is often coaching the parents on how to react to their child and teaching parents to coach their child through emotions. I found the book "10 Days to a Less Defiant Child" quite helpful. The number one trigger for my child is to take something away as punishment. Whenever possible, we try to have him earn privileges through good behaviors rather than taking things away.

• My son finds his same age peers very irritating. Now that I have some perspective - being touched by other kids without his consent all day long was probably sensory overload. It was the worst in preschool - he was very verbal and the other kids just weren't able to respond to him and just sort of stare at him and get nervous, they also constantly violated his personal space - bumping, smashing, the preschool classrooms I visited didn't give children any personal space. In kindergarten, kids had seats at shared tables and shared supplies, carpet/circle time... but there started to be some rules about keeping hands to yourself, but I'm sure there is still tons of touching, bumping. Now that he's in 2nd grade, he has a desk to himself and a box of his own supplies. There are/were covid restrictions that gave him more personal space. What a relief. He still occassionally pokes, trips, irrritates kids around him. But, it's not constant and he has more control.

• Any kind of self-serve intellectual stimulation is a super helpful coping device and it's been worth my effort to encourage and support. At home he has access to a bunch of stuff - audiobooks, books, writing and drawing materials, building toys, etc. He uses this stuff constantly. When he got to school, he was cut off from all of this. In KG, the teacher didn't allow building blocks or reading books when you are an early finisher on your assignments (too distracting to the rest of the class). Now, in 2nd grade both the teacher and my son have made better accommodations - he always has a chapter book to read at his desk, he draws on the back of his sheets if he finishes early, my son is very mathy and makes up challenges for himself - how many minutes until recess? How many hours until the weekend? If there's X amount of calories in a serving of milk, how many calories is the whole container?. He's currently playing baseball, but gets bored and becomes distracting when there's no action - I'm trying to encourage him to keep track of the outs and/or runs. I play verbal games with him when we're waiting for the doctor or are in the car for a long time. Any sort of fall back, self-serve thing that can be done to keep his brain busy is helpful for everyone, and he's learning to do this for himself.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by millersb02
    my son is very mathy and makes up challenges for himself - how many minutes until recess? How many hours until the weekend? If there's X amount of calories in a serving of milk, how many calories is the whole container?. He's currently playing baseball, but gets bored and becomes distracting when there's no action - I'm trying to encourage him to keep track of the outs and/or runs. I play verbal games with him when we're waiting for the doctor or are in the car for a long time. Any sort of fall back, self-serve thing that can be done to keep his brain busy is helpful for everyone, and he's learning to do this for himself

My son used to love watching Numberphile videos on YouTube at home and then he would think about the concepts in his spare time at school. https://www.youtube.com/c/numberphile

There are really thought provoking videos on infinite sets which kept his mind occupied with abstract considerations on properties of infinite sets and how they relate to each other (
    ).

I
    I
    What a lovely post, full of great observations and BTDT perspective!

This may be my favorite tip:
    Originally Posted by millersb02
    I play verbal games with him when we're waiting...

I
    I
    Wow, this is excellent!
    smile

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you for mentioning, I've book marked that youtube channel for him.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Cool, glad you found that helpful.

Some of our games:

Taking turns telling a story verbally

I'm going on vacation and I'm going to pack a (fill in the blank). We do it in alphabetical order so you have to come up with an item to pack for each letter of the alphabet. When it's the next persons turn, the player has to remember what the previous players were packing in alphabetical order, then add their own item.

Rhyming iSpy - I see something that rhymes with bee. Answer: tree. You can make this more difficult by using more sophisticated vocabulary… the rhyming clue doesn't have to be a real word.

Phoneme Reverals - if you have a word like "nip". You can have your child segment, then reverse the sounds, to come up with "pin"

Phoneme substitutions - Your word is "chop" switch the "/ch/" to a "/c/" (this is using the individual sounds, not the letters/spellings). The answer is "cop".

… If you look up phonemic awareness games, they are all verbal games. And a bonus is that they help with reading skills.

I
    I
    Love these good old-fashioned verbal games.
    They can create lasting childhood memories.
    And also serve as interesting conversation starters.
    smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM