Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #249706 04/28/22 09:54 AM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Anyone have any advice on advocating for twins. We believe both would benefit from our district's gifted program. Both missed the cutoff for the program by a very narrow margin and on their own would be strong candidates for appeal.

In appealing the decision do we highlight the unique challenges for twins or do we treat the appeals as separate.

One of their teachers is appealing the decision and has asked us to also write a letter.

Thinking ahead, anyone have thoughts on sending one twin to a gifted program and not the other? Our thinking is to not separate them (gifted program is at a magnet school). One is not significantly more gifted than the other but as expected their testing scores are not identical and if we advocate separately one might get in and the other not.

I
    I
    Welcome, theyanswered!
    smile

While every student, learning environment, and family is different and therefore I do not have clear cut answers to your questions, three things come to mind which may be of interest:

1) The view of IAS regarding siblings is rigidly in support of birth order. While a gifted program is not necessarily whole-grade acceleration, there may be strategies such as single-subject acceleration involved. https://www.hoagiesgifted.org/iowa_accel_scale.htm

2) There are some schools which intentionally separate twins. Other schools may treat them as any two random individual students within the classroom. In my observation and experience few schools make an effort to bundle twins together.

3) Here is a link to a thread which is a roundup on Advocacy (http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....y_Advocacy_as_a_Non_Newt.html#Post183916), including important concepts of:
    - family discussion and agreement on goals to make sure all are on the same page prior to advocating at the school,
    - appropriate "fit."

I'm looking forwarding to reading others' posts in response to this topic.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM