Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #82962 08/19/10 03:50 PM
    N
    Nikita Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Has anyone ever lied about fudged their child's birth date rather than fight for early entrance?

DS falls on the wrong side of the cutoff by a few weeks and I can't say I'm not tempted to take the easy road.

And a follow up question: Would I be found out? Do "they" check against social security numbers or would a slightly altered birth certificate do the trick?

With DD5, we spent 6+ months advocating for skipping kindergarten last year. It worked, but gosh was it exhausting! She started 2nd grade this week in a 2/3 classroom. So far, so good.

The summer heat must be addling my brain and bringing out my criminal tendencies. wink

C
    C
    I wouldn't try it. In our district, if they find out later they are known to "demote" the child. We had one go 5 months in K only to be pulled out for false documents. In this case, she had falsified an electric bill to get into a better school. I can only imagine the consequences would be the same or worse if you falsified a birth certificate.

It would be better to find out your district's policy on early entrance and work with them.

They are pretty careful about checking these things in our district. There's even a fine (you have to pay the district for the cost of instructing your child.)

Back in the dark ages, my grandmother lied about my mom's age to get her into school early. She wanted the free childcare. Nobody caught on, apparently.

N
    Nikita Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    CA state law says a child must be 5 by Dec. 2nd to start kindergarten. If a child is born after Dec. 2nd, they can be admitted once they turn 5, at the discretion of the district. (But are supposed to agree to a full year of K the following year.)
    My understanding is a school won't get ADA for a child that doesn't meet these criteria. Do you know of districts in CA that have early entrance? I would love to read up, and educate my district if there is a loophole.

Nikita,

You have a track record with your older child. Generally it gets easier. After all if you have one gifted, the second isn't so far fetched.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Maybe when you're busted ... which you probably will be with verification being so easy today ... you could argue how you misunderstood the question. "I thought you meant her mental age." But again you would have to claim she really is 7 or 8. All kidding aside I wouldn't even consider false documentation, but I understand the temptation when the alternative is so grim.

Our district serves younger kids (ages 3-5) through the state preschool program. I don't know if you would be able to get services that way.

There is also a school for kids with disabilities which provides early intervention services. I don't know if that applies to your situation.

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    My MIL did that but I wouldn't recommend it at all. It is bound to come up sooner or later (even if only through sports).

Scenario 1. Birthday parties. Do you plan on having a birthday party on kids' fake birthday? Would you make him learn his fake birthday only or use both real and adjusted depending on situation?

However, I DO understand your frustration!!! Some SD make that very easy and I have heard of others that simply do NOT take any early entries, even by one day, even with documentation of very advanced intellectual skills, up to par physical skills and social and emotional maturity.

So, while it is hard, at least you have the option! As PP said, it should be easier with a second kid.

Mam #83046 08/20/10 08:07 AM
    J
    J
    I don't think I'd do it although I know it's SO frustrating. If the teacher asks your child her age wouldn't she have to lie? I don't think DS would do well with that.

C
    C
    I must admit that I was really tempted with dd9. Her bd is Sept. 27th and the local districts had cut-offs of "5 by June 30th" or "5 by Sept. 15th" depending on the district. Colorado is a "local education authority state" meaning that different districts can set their own cut-offs although no one is later than October 1st b/c the state doesn't fund kids with bds after that.

I was contemplating changing the 2 in 27 to a 0 and making it September 07. What finally stopped me was that I didn't want to ask my dd to lie or to lie to her about her actual bd.

We actually wound up lucking out in that one of the districts changed their cut-off to "5 by Oct. 1st" just before she started so we started her there and then moved her to the Sept. 15 district in 1st grade. At that point, they didn't talk about making her repeat K b/c she was advanced and had already completed it in another public school. Had we gone with private, they would have been trying to make her repeat K, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM