Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    Kai Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I took the SCAT in 1981 as a one year accelerated eighth grader. The scores are listed as percentiles. Does anyone know if those are as compared to other eighth graders or something else? My googling tells me that CTY acquired the test in 1985, so perhaps they changed the reporting of scores then?

The reason I even discovered this information is that I've been curious about a statement that a school administrator made when I was in ninth grade and flunking out of the (prestigious private) school. She said that I was the "most intelligent student" in the school, which was beyond weird. We did take a test in either eighth or ninth grade where (among other things) we had to identify pictures with pieces missing from them (which seemed obvious). But the results of this test weren't in the record, and I'm pretty sure that the SCAT didn't have such a task.

My overall SCAT percentile was 93, which is way out of line with my grades (Cs, Ds, and Fs), but I'm sure that it was not even close to "most intelligent" status.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any insight folks might have.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    It's hard to tell what the norms were for your SCAT, as they could have been 8th grade norms, 7th grade (i.e., adjusted for your age), or 10th or 11/12th grade norms (given CTY's historical approach of out-of-level testing). I would guess the most likely would be 8th or 11/12th grade norms, but I don't think we have any way of knowing at this late date.

The test you took in 8th or 9th grade sounds like it may have been the Raven's Progressive Matrices, if by pictures you mean grids with missing design elements, rather than realistic depictions of everyday objects. It has a standard level and an advanced level. Given your age at the time, the standard set appears more likely, but may well have been easy for you.

"Most intelligent" is not as objective a descriptor as one might hope, of course, but it's not unreasonable for the administrator to have described you in those terms, given that you were one year young for grade. Perhaps no one else was grade-accelerated? You may also have noticed that it is not unusual for families to retain their children on entry to such schools (e.g., if entry year is 7th grade, these students complete 7th grade in their previous, less-selective school, and then enter the selective school as a repeat 7th grader), ostensibly to give them a transition year to acclimate to the pace and intensity of a more rigorous setting without also having to learn a lot of new academic content. So you may well have been two years younger than quite a few of your classmates.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    K
    Kai Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks, aeh!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM