Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    Bec100 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hello everyone, my son (8) recently did some assessment�s with an Ed psych and it was determined that he has adhd which wasn�t really a surprise. The supposing thing is that is IQ came out at 112 which is fine but he also took the WIAT-III and it showed scores between 93-99.8 percentile either very high or extremely high, from the research I�ve done it seems highly unusual to have achievement higher than ability so it doesn�t really make sense to me. He also has pretty high working memory which was scored at 84 percentile which I have also now discovered is unusual for kids with adhd. His processing speed is low however at 18 percentile which makes a lot of sense to us.

Any suggestions on these two points?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

It is less typical for achievement to be higher than cognition, but you also have other factors in the case of your DC. Young children (in particular) with attentional difficulties may not have consistent access to their own skills during on-demand testing, so one possibility is simply that the cognitive measures did not fully capture his ability, due, most likely, to intermittently dysregulated attention during the testing. I should also note that there appears to have been a fair amount of divergence among his index scores. Was there also diversity within indices (between subtests in the same index)?

Low working memory does come up often in persons with ADHD, but some individuals are able to pull their attention together long enough to do well on short memory tasks. In addition, there is a subset of those classified as ADHD-primarily inattentive that is described as slow cognitive tempo (Russell Barkley has some more recent work on this), which the field is still discussing. It may be that this has relevance for your child.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    Bec100 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thank you for your reply, I didn�t see the sub-tests unfortunately so I can�t comment on that. He was diagnosed with combined type ADHD but it�s clear that he�s more predominantly inattentive than hyperactive, he was also diagnosed with dysgraphia.

It doesn�t really make much of a difference to him if he is labeled as gifted as we are not in the US and it doesn�t change much where we live, she said he was gifted in certain area�s especially reading comprehension and math problem solving from the WIAT score but she couldn�t genuinely call him gifted as his IQ isn�t high enough. As I said it doesn�t matter too much but I want to make sure he is being challenged enough as he tends to be even less attentive when bored. He has always been very smart and a very in depth thinker compared to his peers but I didn�t really consider he might be gifted due to his attention masking his intelligence.

I will look into the slow cognitive tempo theory, this is all very new to me.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM