Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    I
    I
    Passion-Driven Education: How to Use Your Child's Interests to Ignite a Lifelong Love of Learning, by Connor Boyack (2016)
    with foreword by John Taylor Gatto, author of
    Weapons of Mass Instruction (2010)
    and
    Dumbing Us Down - 25th Anniversary Edition: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling (2017)
    and
    The Underground History of American Education, Volume I: An Intimate Investigation Into the Prison of Modern Schooling (2017)

S
    S

S
    S
    I thought of a few more books:

Uprooted by Naomi Novik
    Spinning Silver also by Naomi Novik

Anything by Neil Gaiman. He did a nonfiction book I really like called The View From the Cheap Seats: Selected Nonfiction
    Gaiman is a strong supported of libraries and I have a library science degree and use the library all the time. He has a lot of interesting things to say.

He is friends with the musician Tori Amos. Which brings me to my next book:
    Comic Book Tattoo: Tales Inspired by Tori Amos This was a joint project by Gaiman, Amos, and the artists who illustrated her songs.

I
    I
    An important slice of history:

Color, Communism, and Common Sense (1958), is a crucial artifact. Written by a Black man, ex-Communist Manning Johnson, this book provides historical context, primary source documents, and insight as to the seeds sown for the development of today's critical race theory.
    A brief excerpt of Chapter 7 follows.
    To one familiar with red [Communist] trickery, it is obvious that placing the blame for all the Negroes’ ills at the door of the white leaders in America is to remove all responsibility from the Negro. This tends to make the Negro:
    (a) feel sorry for himself;
    (b) blame others for his failures;
    (c) ignore the countless opportunities around him;
    (d) jealous of the progress of other racial and national groups;
    (e) expect the white man to do everything for him;
    (f) look for easy and quick solutions as a substitute for the harsh realities of competitive struggle to get ahead.

The result is a persecution complex—a warped belief that the white man’s prejudices, the white man’s system, the white man’s government is responsible for everything. Such a belief is the way the reds [Communists] plan it, for the next logical step is hate that can be used by the reds [Communists] to accomplish their ends.
    This is the same sucker bait the reds [Communists] used to win and use millions of white peoples now under the whiplash of Soviet tyranny. They took the Soviet road to freedom only to find it a snare and a delusion.
    Related:
    Website of Manning Johnson (1908-1959), which provides free online access to his 1958 whistleblowing book as a 2009 Web Version, and also presents his Farewell Address (36:18), and a transcript of the Farewell Address, in which Manning Johnson discusses many issues which are still at the forefront and unfolding as news headlines today, more than 60 years later.

Reprints of the 1958 edition of Manning Johnson's book are also available for purchase at book stores and online at Amazon.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
    UPDATE: As of March 2022, Manning Johnson's website is no longer active, however it has been archived many times over the years.
    1) Read his book online, FREE:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20220205041255/http://manningjohnson.org/book/CCCS_Contents.html
    Reprints of his book are also widely available.

2) Listen to his farewell address posted online:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20220206095915/http://manningjohnson.org/speech/Manning_Johnson--Farewell_Address-32k.mp3 (36:18)

3) Follow along with transcript of Manning Johnson's "Farewell Address"
    https://web.archive.org/web/20210731144351/http://www.manningjohnson.org/speech/transcript.html
    =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

I
    I
    The Education of Children
    Alfred Adler, 1930

Although not perfect, very insightful...
    Originally Posted by description
    The materials contained in this volume were written over sixty years ago but remain equally valid today. Though aware of some of the terms he coined, e.g., "inferiority complex," "compensation," and "overcompensation," most teachers and parents are completely unaware of Adler and his remarkable insights into one of the world's most crucial mandates. This book presents some of Adler's most powerful insights on numerous aspects relating to the education of children, including the development of personality; the relationship between the inferiority complex and striving for superiority; preventing the inferiority complex; obstacles to social development; the child's position in the family; the child at school; adolescence and sex education; and educating the parent.

I
    I
    Three related books, spanning decades of research:
    1) 1969 - The Impact of College on Students, Feldman and Newcomb
    2) 1991 - How College Affects Students: Findings and Insights From Twenty Years of Research, by Ernest T. Pascarella and Patrick T. Terenzini
    3) 2005 - How College Affects Students, Volume 2: A Third Decade of Research, by Ernest T. Pascarella and Patrick T. Terenzini

One of many important concepts discussed is "internal locus of control" - the sense of being self-directed, self determining, responsible, owning one's education.

Related links:
    - College grade inflation.
    - University grade inflation.
    - Do campus amenities such as lazy rivers and concierge services:
    . . .- change the definition and expectations of "the college experience,"
    . . .- distract from a focus on education,
    . . .- delay maturation,
    . . .- detract from a sense of frugal DIY self-sufficiency,
    . . .- thwart the development of "internal locus of control"...?

I
    I
    A book which may be interesting to all families, as informed consumers of health care services:
    Basic & Clinical Pharmacology, 15th Edition (2021)
    by Bertram G. Katzung and Todd W. Vanderah
    McGraw Hill

Link - https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Clinical-Pharmacology-Bertram-Katzung/dp/126045231X/

F
    F
    empleat, thank you - Third Factor looks like a great resource!

f(z)=z²+c
    R
    R
    I'll go with two of my favourites, and some recent discoveries:

One book that has had a profound impact on my worldview at the time is Stiller, which, as a novel, explores how identities are not only constructed by ourselves, but also those around us.

I have also enjoyed many books by Milan Kundera, who might be known to many of you. Identity was a particularly interesting one to me, besides his probably most famous one, The Unbearable Lightness of Being. His novels explore many topics ranging from love relationships, philosophy, and the political context of the Cold War, through the lens of the situation in the Czech republic.

Finally, Waiting for Bojangles is a recent novel, very original and touching take on the fine line between eccentricity, and mental illness (with very inventive language!). No idea though, how well the translation into English went.

On a the non-fiction side, Eva Illouz has interesting takes on emotionality in times of capitalism, and the influence of psychology/psychotherapy on the modern self.

I
    I
    With a nod to an old forum post, http://giftedissues.davidsongifted...._backstory_with_a_side_o.html#Post239245, here are a few books, mentioned in an article which that old forum post links to... and another article linked from that.
    Return to Life: Extraordinary Cases of Children Who Remember Past Lives, by Jim Tucker (2013)
    Nature’s Gambit, by David Henry Feldman (1986)
    Visions of Innocence, by Edward Hoffman (1992)

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM