Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Which, of course, highlights how challenging it is to maintain a school with a cohort of +7SD level students! There just aren't enough of them around. Even +3SD students aren't exactly thick on the ground in most communities (with, possibly, the exception of the vicinity of Palo Alto or such-like).

I think it's also valuable to note that much of what has the option of appearing "extraordinary" in a young child is dependent on their interests, passions and opportunities, and may take many twists and turns over the lifespan. Many posters here may have read the biographies of Max Planck, who was a gifted multi-instrumentalist and composer, but chose to pursue physics instead of music. Or of Alexander Borodin, who is known best as one of the Russian Five composers, but was actually a professor of medicine and chemistry who made significant contributions to the field of organic chemistry. Or of Charles Ives, who is recognized now as a significant figure in American music, but was a globally gifted individual who is also considered one of the fathers of estate planning (in his day job in insurance). Which is just to say, at more length than necessary, that a small child's current interests or accomplishments aren't necessarily indicative of her actual level of giftedness, let alone her future accomplishments.

From the background info you've included, I suspect I might understand a little of why it's hard for you to conceptualize your child as "really" gifted. I grew up in a community heavily enriched with individuals who were actually assessed at or could reasonably be estimated to fall in the 145+ range (using contemporary scaling), and including some who would be in the 175+ range. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that there were some persons probably in the 130s that I felt vaguely were not really -that- bright, but in retrospect I realize it's just because my scaling was skewed. TBH, I didn't begin to get a better sense of what the bell curve looks like in real life until I began assessing people myself, at which point it became much clearer how large the range was within the GT population.

So that's more anecdotal information than you probably wanted to read!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    K
    K
    A minor thought of how I've approached this "giftedness"-thing and what I've thought is that IQ-tests are like licenses that give you access to things such as some education, some depth in investigations of diagnosis and such.. As a practical tool that's about it.

I've read by Linda Silverman and her descriptions on the gifted personality can be but also delved a bit into my own history and tried to figure out "how" I am at a better intellectual offstance. Its a bit like going against the psychologists to make my own claim to be able to prove if tests actually makes sense..

What I can tell from my own excursions I've had these tendencies to have random performances that have made me proud, I think that most people would have difficulty achieving the same kind of "clarity" weren't it for the intellect. Problem here is that thinking your child is gifted because he made a painting doesnt make sense and thats why you need to look at the bigger picture.

Intelligence and personal traits are inheritable even if people in your family are dissimilar some things comes through more strongly. I think that asynchrony in development and personality disappears as we get older with personality and intellectual abilities.

Question is how you make yourself know giftedness in your heart rather then needing a test to prove it or even relying on a test to support your notion. Remembering that tests where originally used to determine which french students needed special education to be able to function in society. Some of you have talked about trying to see the giftedness in the child after doing a test but I'm not a parent and that makes me not understand how it is to be a parent but
    "How far does your responsibility allow you to change the future of your child?"

Is chasing the best possible future scenario in life the best way to live life? I think some acceptance of that you as a parent know your child best and that encouraging you to have the best relationship with your child is the best way to go..

We rely much on our relationships to go through life, it might be that my notion is obvious but trying to find the most harmonious way to let your child grow up is the best way to go!

The two things that has been most resourceful for me to reflect about when it comes to my own aptitude is:
    1. What are the people around you like?
    What kind of patterns can be found in my family, I am mostly similar to my family and its a good place to learn.
    My friends? What kind of friends do I have? We tend not to accept anyone into our private circle, are they intellectuals?

2. Have you ever done anything that surprises other people. In Sweden the definition of giftedness is someone who surprises you with their talents and gifts reliably. Perhaps not someone who gets full scores on tests, that's one way, but sometimes in other subtle ways, this is where you know your kid best.

I
    I
    This reply fits in with the thread title of "False positives in giftedness identification" but does *not* address the specific question, "how reliable are these WISC type tests in isolating aptitude vs achievement."

Future readers who may select this thread based on the thread's title, may find the following information to be of interest:
    1) Comparison of Giftedness and being on the Autism Spectrum (formerly termed Asperger's Syndrome).
    2) GRCNE - Differences Between Gifted Children with AS and Gifted Children without AS
    3) Davidson Database, Maureen Niehart Gifted children with Asperger’s Syndrome

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM