Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about the Davidson Academyís online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 107 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Ham23, no giftedd, moonpie, angelaw, Skrism
    11071 Registered Users
    December
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
    Topic Options
    #249273 - 10/16/21 05:44 AM Re: New York City to Phase Out Its Gifted and Talented [Re: Bostonian]
    aquinas Offline

Aside: I love this forumís mix of thoughtful discussion and ultra niche culture shares.

#249275 - 10/16/21 04:25 PM Re: New York City to Phase Out Its Gifted and Talented [Re: Val]
    SiaSL Offline

Originally Posted By: Val

A child who completed elementary school in a school run by a third nation (a third language).

So... double checked your posted history, since that rang a bell (and IIRC we are/were also fairly close geographically). I am 99% sure that nation is my home country, where I had all of my own schooling. I have nephews/nieces back there. My kids are US educated.

Here are my 2c.

1) You cannot compare an entire country's public school system to the US based private schools offering its national curriculum to children of expat execs for 30k$/yearly tuition.

2) Comparing schooling offered 30+ years ago, when generalized access to higher education was much less common, to here and now in the US is tricky. In the specific case of that country it is especially misleading to compare the average public US high school, which educates all students in the catchment area under a single roof, with what was then a specialized high school which only admitted about 50% of an age class with an accepted/acceptable 20% graduation failure before entry into university programs (which themselves had a 50% drop out rate over the first 2 years). Things have changed some since then, but your average "general" public high school there is still *not* comparable to a local US public high school.

3) Also subject to worldwide schooling inflation, but, similarly, not all students reach A levels in the UK...

I mean, I have my moments with American anti intellectualism. Also, multiple choice questions as the standard grading mechanism?!?

But your post reminded me why *that* parenting book by that woman who spent a few years in my country of origin gave me hives. I mean, you only have to check the strangely similar headlines in different countries when PISA scores come out to know that moaning about the degenerescence of education in one's own country is fairly universal, but... Americans often sell themselves short on the strengths of their own educational system (also their parenting skills -- see above).

Meanwhile I try to find a balance between the best features of both systems for my own kids.

#249282 - 10/20/21 08:49 AM Re: New York City to Phase Out Its Gifted and Talented [Re: Bostonian]
    Wren Offline

This is probably moot as the potentially new mayor coming in said he would restore G&T.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Study of Exceptional Talent suspends new members
    by MumOfThree
    Yesterday at 09:47 PM
    Discrepancy in WPPSIV Primary scores
    by aeh
    Yesterday at 05:01 PM
    False positives in giftedness identification
    by timeout
    Yesterday at 08:09 AM
    A potential new approach to college debt...?
    by timeout
    12/05/21 05:10 PM
    Min time gap required between the WPPSI and WISC?
    by aeh
    12/04/21 10:20 AM
    Davidson Institute Twitter