Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    A
    Aside: I love this forum’s mix of thoughtful discussion and ultra niche culture shares.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Val
    A child who completed elementary school in a school run by a third nation (a third language).

So... double checked your posted history, since that rang a bell (and IIRC we are/were also fairly close geographically). I am 99% sure that nation is my home country, where I had all of my own schooling. I have nephews/nieces back there. My kids are US educated.

Here are my 2c.

1) You cannot compare an entire country's public school system to the US based private schools offering its national curriculum to children of expat execs for 30k$/yearly tuition.

2) Comparing schooling offered 30+ years ago, when generalized access to higher education was much less common, to here and now in the US is tricky. In the specific case of that country it is especially misleading to compare the average public US high school, which educates all students in the catchment area under a single roof, with what was then a specialized high school which only admitted about 50% of an age class with an accepted/acceptable 20% graduation failure before entry into university programs (which themselves had a 50% drop out rate over the first 2 years). Things have changed some since then, but your average "general" public high school there is still *not* comparable to a local US public high school.

3) Also subject to worldwide schooling inflation, but, similarly, not all students reach A levels in the UK...

I mean, I have my moments with American anti intellectualism. Also, multiple choice questions as the standard grading mechanism?!?

But your post reminded me why *that* parenting book by that woman who spent a few years in my country of origin gave me hives. I mean, you only have to check the strangely similar headlines in different countries when PISA scores come out to know that moaning about the degenerescence of education in one's own country is fairly universal, but... Americans often sell themselves short on the strengths of their own educational system (also their parenting skills -- see above).

Meanwhile I try to find a balance between the best features of both systems for my own kids.

W
    W
    This is probably moot as the potentially new mayor coming in said he would restore G&T.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Wren
    This is probably moot as the potentially new mayor coming in said he would restore G&T.
    Indeed!
    smile
    The G&T program is restored and expanded.

NYC Gifted & Talented application process opens Tuesday: 8 things to know
    link - https://www.silive.com/education/20...cess-opens-tuesday-8-things-to-know.html
    by Annalise Knudson
    Staten Island
    May 31, 2022
    Originally Posted by article
    Last month, Mayor Eric Adams and Schools Chancellor David Banks announced the city was expanding its Gifted & Talented program to every school district starting in the 2022-2023 school year.
    The expansion will add 100 kindergarten Gifted & Talented spots — for a total of 2,500 seats across the five boroughs. A new entry point for third grade will be created for the first time in the fall.

V
    V
    Expanding and restoring the NYC gifted program is an awesome development. Mayor Adams seems to be on the opposite end of the spectrum compared to Mayor De Blasio on the topic of gifted education. I am curious if there are any plans to make some new specialized high schools in the near future.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM