Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #247817 12/10/20 07:43 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Can anyone help me or give me some guidance on accommodations for the SAT, specifically regarding dysgraphia? There is an accommodation listed as ”assistive Technology compatible test form". Is this something that would be helpful? I don't see anything that says he can use programs such as Equatio., Which is how he types his Math. Can anyone help?I

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    You need to apply specifically for AT like Equatio. It's separate from the computer accommodation. AT-compatible test forms are intended to be used with screen readers and other AT supports for accessing text. Probably not as helpful going the other way.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    S
    S
    Is your son in public school? things change all the time with the college board, 3 years ago, most of the accommodation was handled through the guidance counselor AND the test had to be administered at your home school (regular accommodations like extra time were at any center that offers accommodation, but computer with specialized software was a home school thing).

If this is your case, I'd start with the school counselor -- does he have a 504? If so, can you call a meeting? It's about testing accommodations so it's reasonable to make it a formal meeting with notes taken and responsibilities doled out.

Why does he need equatio for SAT? Does he work out his problems with equatio? Or does he use it to make it legible for grading?
    In which case he'd need it for AP, but not for SAT.

To get the specialized software, you will need a bit of testing to prove it-- more than our school offered. Our experience WITH all the testing was that college board didn't really have a grasp on disabilities and we needed to specifically ask for everything and then they turned it down or offered something silly that would be useless. And it took phone calls to explain. Phone call from school counselor to us so he'd know how to answer-- so you need a counselor who will work with you, or you need to convince the counselor to WANT to work with you (like have a formal 504 meeting).

And finally, check out the time it takes to use software. We could not get extra time AND software. Mine could not take the Calc AB test because approval did not come in the 7 weeks they said, and did not even come in 6 months! When the software didn't come through, DS worked with an awesome math teacher who thought DS could learn to write well enough. Then he asked for unlimited graded paper because the writing was huge and could never fit in their space. That got approved more easily. But first they gave the software with no extra time. Turned it down, and asked for extra GRADED (not scratch) paper instead.

I hope our story helps-- it is an old story and I'd like to think things are always improving. At that time, one of the considerations was student grades and if you got good grades, they were less likely to accommodate. If I remember, they were removing this in their considerations? AEH probably knows. But, start early and work harder than you think is necessary and be pleasantly surprised if it goes more smoothly.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    It is typically easiest to work through the school, as schools don't need to provide nearly as much documentation as individuals do. Best is if you have at least three years of documented 504/IEP accommodations of the type you are requesting (mainly to prove that this isn't a recently "discovered" disability to bump up test scores after an initial unsatisfactory result).

Grades aren't a major factor in accommodation approval anymore. They weight the 504 and IEP a bit more than in the past, although they seem to be leaning pretty heavily on testing to document 100% extended time (not 50%--that's relatively easy, if it's on the 504/IEP).

Definitely good to start early and follow-up frequently.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by spaghetti
    Is your son in public school? things change all the time with the college board, 3 years ago, most of the accommodation was handled through the guidance counselor AND the test had to be administered at your home school (regular accommodations like extra time were at any center that offers accommodation, but computer with specialized software was a home school thing).

If this is your case, I'd start with the school counselor -- does he have a 504? If so, can you call a meeting? It's about testing accommodations so it's reasonable to make it a formal meeting with notes taken and responsibilities doled out.

Thanks! Yes, he is at a public school and he has an IEP so we are working on this stuff with his resource teacher, who is quite good to work with, and his guidance counselor. I believe she mentioned that he would/should take the test at the school as opposed to where the majority of kids go and he and I were totally fine with that. Perhaps I do need to have meeting about it - I suggested that before the holidays because I want my son's thoughts and inputs on what he needs and what will happen.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by spaghetti
    Why does he need Equatio for SAT? Does he work out his problems with Equatio? Or does he use it to make it legible for grading? In which case he'd need it for AP, but not for SAT.

He simply cannot handwrite. It's not just that it isn't legible he just can't make the letters and especially numbers - they are backwards and he ends up spending all of this cognitive load on trying to make the symbols instead of doing the problem. I am just wondering does the SAT even test on that high of math? Prior to Pre-calc he has been able to get by mostly with certain math keyboards. Anyway, he has been using assistive tech for math and all subjects literally for years. It is all documented in his ieps, which he has had since first grade. So this is not a 'sudden' or new thing with him and that is very clear in his documentation so, hopefully, that will make things go more smoothly.

Last edited by Irena; 01/04/21 06:32 AM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Hello! Update and some questions for y'all. My son was finally approved for his college board accommodations (took months - from January when I started this thread!) and just one day before he is scheduled to take the PSAT/NMSQTs! He was approved for 50% extended time in reading and writing and double time in math. He was approved for use of Equatio for the calculator sections of the math test. He was approved for small group testing and extra breaks. He was also approved for use of a computer to type essays for the AP exams. He is a bit concerned about being only able to use Equatio for the math calculator section. I guess the board thinks Equatio is a calculator? It is not - it's just a software that allows a person to type math (instead of handwrite). I hope he will still be okay. Anyone else have similar accommodations that can share their experiences? I am wondering if after the practice tests if he realizes he needs Equatio for all of the math can we try to appeal?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM