Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    Mark D. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hello everyone,

Since this is the area to discuss anything Davidson Young Scholar-related, I thought I would provide a little background information on the program to those who may be unfamiliar. For the most comprehensive, up-to-date information, please visit the Young Scholars website: http://www.davidsongifted.org/youngscholars/.

Through the free, national Davidson Young Scholars program, students and their families receive support in several areas. Parents collaborate with a skilled team of Family Consultants who provide individualized services based on each family�s unique needs. Consulting services include:

Educational Advocacy and Planning - Help for parents and teachers to find an appropriate educational fit for the Young Scholar.

Talent and Interest Development - Assistance with locating summer programs, local and distance learning options, enrichment opportunities and other educational needs.

Child and Adolescent Development - Access to relevant resources and nationally recognized experts.

Annual Summit - Young Scholars and their parents are invited to attend a special yearly event that hosts a variety of speakers, discussions and special activities.

Informal Regional Gatherings - Parents frequently plan local get-togethers with other Young Scholar families in their area.

Online Community - Access to private Young Scholar parent and student networks through discussion forums, chat rooms, electronic mailing lists and website.

Applications for this flagship program are due the 1st of each month. Apply today!

If you have any questions, please email DavidsonScholars@davidsongifted.org.

T
    T
    I am sharing information about Davidson Young Scholors Program with agencys and parent groups in my state. I am on committe's participating as a stakeholder. I am sharing creative ideas and information in positive constructive ways to improve programs. I recently shared information with State Department of Education,Parent Center,

... I am advocating for gifted children. I advocate for everyone, as everyone is important! I want to share information about this program as a resource for all school districs to utilize. As Linda Silverman mentioned, all across America there are people that aren't being identified as gifted. The book,Smart Kids with Learning Difficuilties, provides the charts and information that parents need to have to correctly identify gifted child. I have permission from Linda Barnes-Robinson and Prufrock Press to use information from the book to educate parents and professionals in my state. Gifted forms need more disclousure of how program works. Ideal, model program is in Montgomery Maryland. Parents who are interested in a program that meets the needs of all children and have 2-E program with online resources, Universal Design, awsome parent interaction ,should check out this program and share the information with their State Department of Education and school distric and PTA president to share with parents so if they want these improvements they can do a Parent Survey, to submit to their school board requesting them.

I need to know exactly what testing is utilized to qualify a child that is 2-E as GIFTED to participate in your program. Non-verbal testing allows for unique design of brain and allows for enviormental stressors that affect brain function under stress that lower scores on conventional IQ testing. If VMI is 148,dev.18,99% and non-verbal score is 132 IQ,dev17yrs + and Stanford Binet IQ is 110 at 12 yrs old and child is generating creative amazing things but struggles to read write and spell. But is doing algebra in their head, memorizes cards in everyones hands playing card games, duplicates art work, excellent marksmam, plays chess, auditory learner.... Please respond in post so all parents can read how we can recieve the supports we need for our children in every state in America. Where are the lists located of these resources for parents to use, to utilize so we are equal partners in our childs education? All PTA Presidents in every distric in America need this information to share with the parents in their distric so parents can advocate for their children. As long as it is information that is not available to the public, nothing will change. If anyone knows of another model school(besides the one in Montgomery, Maryland) that meets the needs of all children I would appreciate the information being posted so all parents have access to information. Eric Jensen's book Enriching the Brain has information on ideas for a model school.

Please forgive my not responding to people on this blog. I have done research for years but have just recently learned to run computer and got e-mail so I could be in the loop.

I wasn't quite sure where it was best to post this. So, I decieded to pick the most important topic that all topics lead back to. This one! Thank you for providing this blog. TMI Grandma

M
    M
    Are there currently any existing or planned international DYS programs? I know that I'd love for one to be available here in South Africa and I am sure that many others world wide would benefit from something similar.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    H
    H
    Hello,
    I am also wondering whether there are any plans for DYS outside USA? We are in Australia.
    Hhbella

Does it matter if a liscensed professional gives the IQ and achievement tests, or is it ok to get the testing done through the University by students to meet the application criteria for the program?

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    S
    S
    University students are supervised by a licensed psychologist professor and it is perfectly fine.

My son just got his testing done at the local university. And they test on a sliding scale fee. I am waiting for the results because they do all the work and then have to present it to the professor (and possibly classmates I am not sure). I signed consent for video taping only for use with her professor (so they go over the video tapes too). So it takes a little longer to get the results but I feel the results will be valid and it should be accepted because the professor signs the report too.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    P
    P
    I have DYS envy.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Sweetie
    University students are supervised by a licensed psychologist professor and it is perfectly fine.

My son just got his testing done at the local university. And they test on a sliding scale fee. I am waiting for the results because they do all the work and then have to present it to the professor (and possibly classmates I am not sure). I signed consent for video taping only for use with her professor (so they go over the video tapes too). So it takes a little longer to get the results but I feel the results will be valid and it should be accepted because the professor signs the report too.

I would think there might be quite a difference if the child tested is a 2E kid since there are so many things that can go wrong and it really needs to be someone with the experience to administer the tests.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    Originally Posted by Sweetie

I would think there might be quite a difference if the child tested is a 2E kid since there are so many things that can go wrong and it really needs to be someone with the experience to administer the tests.

But each grad student is in a different place. She was at the end of her studies so she is able to test alone with dozens of directly supervised testing sessions under her belt. A new doctoral student would have the professor right in the room with him/her.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    H
    H
    I would love to get my son involved with the Davidson Young Scholars Program.
    He was tested by the public school system when he was 3 and identified as gifted at that time. He is 10 now. I need to have him tested agin in order to qualify for the Davidson program. I wonder if private testing at $600+ is my only option. Unfortunately, this is not a viable option for us. Are there any other, less costly ways to get the proper testing done?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM