Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    P
    Paige Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    I just called the College Board and was told that as of June this year, due to Federal regulation, children under 13 are no longer allowed to write the SAT. Does anyone know why?

I was hoping to register DS11 for the SAT to qualify for CTY/DYS. I was partial to the SAT because it is widely recognized (which will help me advocate for him with the local school district), and that DS is comfortable with the format. Which other tests would be most similar to the SAT in these regards?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Hm. According to their own website, younger students can no longer take the SAT on a weekend administration date. They may still be allowed to take a school day administration, in October, March or April:
    https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/register/special-circumstances/younger-students
    https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/taking-the-test/sat-in-school
    https://collegereadiness.collegeboa...st-security-fairness#intended-use-policy

I would imagine that you need to contact local high schools to see if this is an option in your area.

The ACT still allows younger students to test. Pretty much everywhere that you would use the SAT to qualify for access, you should be able to use the ACT as well. There are plenty of resources for familiarizing him with the format, which is not all that different from the SAT. They don't have the Khan Academy partnership, but they do have their own online test review materials:
    https://www.act.org/content/act/en/...test-preparation/free-act-test-prep.html

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    M
    So, that will make it difficult to apply for CTY SET?

M
    M
    You might try looking for the ACT, especially if your son is stronger in Math. Good to know about the SAT!

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Does anyone know what federal regulation they are talking about?

P
    Paige Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks aeh -- the wording on the College Board website does appear it might leave room for school day testing through the local high schoool, though I will have to wait till the school staff to be back in office in August to find out if it's possible

I contacted the CTY SET as well. They said they have no immediate plan to change the SAT requirement, and are waiting for updates from the College Board

I am also curious about what federal regulation is causing the College Board to change its rule, and whether the same regulation is going to impact the ACT as well.

I
    I
    If College Board has stated that Federal Regulation causes SAT tests to no longer be administered to students under age 13, then College Board may be the best source for answering which Federal Regulation they are referring to.

That said, a bit of online research may provide clues, such as this undated article:
    https://www.fairtest.org/federal-standards-standardized-tests

Click College Admissions, Optional List (latest entry Oct 2020)
    Click College Admissions, ACT/SAT (latest current test scores, 2019)

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Ok, I sent the College Board a message asking about the federal regulations. We'll see if they get back to me.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Here is the response (the relevant part, anyway) from the College Board:

Starting with the August 2021 SAT, College Board will no longer allow students under 13 to register for weekend SAT administrations. Federal regulations prevent children under 13 from creating an online account, which is required for SAT registration. However, College Board will still support a set of options for those few young students interested in taking an assessment during the school year. We have the following in-school testing options still available to students:

? PSAT 8/9 – Available from September - April
    ? PSAT 10 – Available from February - April
    ? PSAT/NMSQT – Three test administrations available in October
    ? SAT School Day - Administrations available in October, March, and April
    ? For organizations looking to conduct above-grade testing, we encourage working with local schools and districts to implement the above assessments.

C
    C
    Sounds like they just don't want to bother processing paper registrations anymore. I've heard of people "accidentally" registering their children online with an incorrect birthday and then fixing it down the road once their kid is >13. That seems way easier than getting a school your kid doesn't attend to let your kid take a test there during the school day.

Last edited by ChaosMitten; 07/08/21 04:14 PM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM