Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    And curiously, a parallel yet also different movement at the post-secondary level:

https://dcmathpathways.org/sites/default/files/resources/2019-03/CaseforMathPathways_20190313.pdf

ed.gov review of the research on above:
    https://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/InterventionReport/718

While secondary schools are moving toward "math pathways" that create greater uniformity in math education, delay advanced work, and limit the ceiling on achievement, post-secondary institutions (mainly community colleges) are moving toward "math pathways" that sort students into tracks ("pathways") by individual needs/goals, pair higher expectations with co-requisite support classes, and encourage accelerated coursework.

Not incidentally, the gateway math course that is such an obstacle at the post-secondary level is college algebra--aka algebra II/trig. IOW, students have been stuck in developmental/remedial math classes in college in large part because of the failure of the previous 12 years of education. It should not be a revolutionary suggestion that the most effective way to increase math/STEM achievement among all populations is to improve math instruction in elementary school. Most teachers in states with mandated teacher testing have to pass a literacy test, but not a math test. Says something about how we value math education...

ETA: if the thought is that this is off-topic, I can move it to its own thread.

Last edited by aeh; 06/10/21 07:04 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    ... looking at the issue from the wrong end of the telescope. Instead of enforcing equal outcomes at the end of K-12 and throttling supply to quality educational placements, with multipliers assigned to traditionally under-represented groups, we should be amplifying opportunities to bring forward lagging and under-represented students as early in their academic careers as possible, and not at the expense of the strongest.
    Agreed. The educational system must begin to operate on the principle of supply and demand... creating more seats for advanced academics, rather than rationing seats via lottery, excessive qualification testing, etc. Artificially restricting advanced academics is unconscionable. It is possible to offer advanced academics to all who may need or benefit from them.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I appreciate a lively discussion.
    smile

Originally Posted by Math Pathways
    ... high-quality mathematics pathways can significantly increase student success by addressing three structural barriers of the problem:
    1) the inaccurate placement of students, mostly into math courses below their ability to perform,
    2) the misalignment of content to student needs, and
    3) long, multi-semester course sequences.

This sounds excellent, right on target.
    Thanks for sharing, aeh.
    smile

M
    M
    Thanks, I needed to read this today.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM