Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    E
    Online Content
    E
    It’s likely that gifted individuals inherently analyse situations and people more critically and this gives a better understanding of physical reality and how others would react in different scenarios, which can seem almost psychic/magical.

I wondered if the late author, Terry Pratchett, was alluding to this with his main character in ‘A hat full of sky’, Tiffany Aching, an eleven year old nascent witch who, amongst people who seldom gave anything a second thought, learned to harness the power of third (and even fourth) thoughts.

“First Thoughts are the everyday thoughts. Everyone has those. Second Thoughts are the thoughts you think about the way you think. People who enjoy thinking have those. Third Thoughts are thoughts that watch the world and think all by themselves. They’re rare, and often troublesome. Listening to them is part of witchcraft.” - Terry Pratchett

E
    Online Content
    E
    Originally Posted by Klangedin
    I've often felt dissatisfaction with life as an earning potential and that gathering stuff as a life purpose makes life an never ending game of intrigue of who can get the best out of each other.
    Agreed, materialism is a pretty empty quest, but I have often contemplated whether it becomes the default for those who haven’t been able to work out how to set their aspirations on something more worthwhile.

I tend to contemplate the value of experience rather then the value of facts and the my subjective opinion is a better guide that reason.
    My take is that experience and facts are both important and should complement each other. I agree that personal experiences can and should inform us on how to evaluate new information to incorporate them as ‘facts’ in our understanding of the universe and our place in it.

I think, ideally, we should always be ready and willing to adapt our internal model of reality as new information presents.

E
    Online Content
    E
    Isn't the deal with facts that its only as true as the author has made it. Real hard facts are hard to come by //

I’m no linguistic expert, but my understanding is that the former description is of ‘truth’ and the latter (ie. ‘real hard facts’) are ‘facts’.

We, collectively as the human race, know very little, and as individuals, we each know far less. Our experiences have a great impact on how we understand and negotiate the ‘real universe’ so on a personal level, that is important, but the universe operates according to a set of immutable rules which we only understand imperfectly through models, so ideally, we would do better if we, individually and collectively, keep trying to improve/refine our models for understanding.

Most of us, at some point, realise just how limited and flawed our own models are; then the question becomes how much effort is worth spending to continue to expand & refine our understanding, or whether we just use what we’ve got and find opportunities to enjoy and appreciate whatever we have.

I
    I
    I am impervious to thoughts because I know that reality is a fleeting illusion and that the imagery we are presented with is fleeting at best.

However, life changes depending on what we see but the pain of life decreases if we learn to understand reality, this is the basis of spiritualism.
    These thoughts sound a bit like the move "The Matrix" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Matrix ) and/or the Hindu principle of Maya (https://iskconeducationalservices.org/HoH/concepts/key-concepts/maya-illusion/ ).

This thread has strayed far from the original topic of "Understanding testing!"

K
    OP Offline
    K
    AA

Last edited by Klangedin; 05/19/23 08:13 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM