Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    "Trouble can be transportation: a bad thing can take you to a good place."
    "Success can be your servant or your master."

- Lines spoken by the character Callie, attributed to her Grandpa Tucker, in the Hallmark movie "Roadhouse Romance" (2021)

E
    E
    Thanks Indigo - I like dual quotations which succinctly encompass wealths of wisdom.

Over the years, there’ve only really been two quotations that I bring up with my kids and they also go hand in hand.

The first, ‘She’ll be right, mate’, goes completely against the second law of thermodynamics wrt entropy. It is such an upbeat quotation but its use is often as an excuse from putting in required effort, so I quote it often in order to dispel the seductive lie - the truth is that good reliable systems require a lot of knowledge, skills and efforts to design, implement and maintain. It is with this attitude a lot of people try to get by with less effort and slipshod work that leads to someone having to expand even more energy later to fix the foreseeable problems which ensue. Since on many occasions, I have been that ‘someone’ and their lack of care has cost me time with my young family, my kids are quite aware of how insidiously destructive such an attitude can be.

The second, ‘With great power comes great responsibility’, is consistent with the biblical parable described in Matthew 25 and somewhat redirects the implications of the first quotation back towards us, for those who don’t/ can’t understand the consequences of their (in)actions can claim ignorance as an excuse whereas responsibility lands on the ‘gifted’ with the ability to recognise the dangers and pitfalls.

The solution for the gifted therefore is to try to mentor others to develop appropriate skills and take on more responsibility. I’ve been in a more senior role in my profession for the last ten years and have had rewarding experiences of mentoring a number of younger colleagues in my own and in allied professions (many of whom now work in other organisations) and promoting a culture which incorporates both individual ownership and group collaboration.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Eagle Mum
    ‘She’ll be right, mate’
    ‘With great power comes great responsibility’

Insightful quotes and deeply meaningful!
    Thanks for sharing, Eagle Mum!

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    "Gattaca" is a dystopian, futuristic, sci-fi movie from a quarter-century ago which ponders whether individuals could exceed their genetic potential.
    "There's no gene for fate."
    "Is that the only way you can succeed, is to see me fail?"
    Link to source - https://www.quotes.net/movies/gattaca_4386
    Link to movie details - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/
    Link to where to stream - https://tv.apple.com/us/movie/gattaca/umc.cmc.5ezqaeo0qqkflzp5ofr6s33ny
    Wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gattaca

Some aspects of the movie "Gattaca" remind me a bit of "The Giver," by Lois Lowry (1993).
    Originally Posted by The Giver (movie, 2014)
    "The way things look and the way things are, are very different."

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    The following quote brings to mind frequently discussed forum topics of procrastination, risk-taking, learning from mistakes, growth or fixed mindset, and fear of failure.

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
    Source:
    Theodore Roosevelt speech, "The Strenuous Life" (April 10, 1899), Paragraph 4.
    Voices of Democracy, U.S. Oratory Project, University of Maryland
    link - https://voicesofdemocracy.umd.edu/roosevelt-strenuous-life-1899-speech-text/

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    This quote brings to mind frequently discussed forum topics of procrastination, risk-taking, learning from mistakes, growth or fixed mindset, fear of failure, and personal responsibility.
    Originally Posted by Brainy Quote, John Burroughs
    A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.
    - John Burroughs, 1837-1921

Link - https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/john_burroughs_121353

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    "The fear may not go away; you might just have to do it scared."
    - Lines spoken by the character Stephanie, attributed to her Grandmother, in the Hallmark movie "My One and Only" (2019)

This Grandmotherly wisdom brings to mind the frequently discussed forum topic of procrastination, as related to fear of failure.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    We've all heard, "You are what you eat!" but have you heard,
    You are what you read."
    - Jodie Jackson, author, You Are What You Read (2019)

The author's book, and a video of her reciting her original poem are both available at this link: https://www.amazon.com/Jodie-Jackson/e/B07R3X5M9B/

"You are what you read" came to mind when mulling over the recent NCTE position statement which calls for decentering "book reading" for English Language Arts (ELA) instruction. http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ering_book_reading_and_e.html#Post249649
    (Related: this link shows the Common Core Standards for ELA - http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/)

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    "Are you humbly grateful...
    . . . . . or grumbly hateful...?"

- words spoken by the character Hank (James Brolin),
    in the Hallmark movie "Royal Hearts" (2018).

M
    M
    The thing about smart people is that they seem like crazy people to dumb people.
    – Stephen Hawking

When you're curious you finds lots of intersting things to do.
    – Walt Disney

The only thing you absolutely need to know is the location of the library.
    – Albert Einstein

If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves.
    – Thomas Edison

The important thing is to never stop questioning.
    – Albert Einstein

Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
    – Albert Einstein

Believe in the child.
    – Maria Montessori

This one is more of a idiom… "sharpen your own sword" as in stop comparing and keeping up with what's going on around you and instead work on something that is important to you.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM