Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    Today the charter school in which we're hoping our son will be admitted draws their lottery choices. I'm on pins-and-needles waiting to hear from them, and want to go into this upfront about what I'd like to see for him, should he be chosen.

Just an update: The blended grade charter has drawn DS as a next year student! Last night we went to the preliminary meeting attended by the parents of three other (out of fourteen applicants) children who made the lottery. So far, everything looks good. The teacher DS will have next year has had her own children go through the school and wasn't fazed a bit when DS started to cry about not being able to stay late to do worksheets. smile

Last edited by Ametrine; 05/17/13 02:30 PM. Reason: added detail
    C
    C
    Wow, after reading this I'm wondering if we should consider skipping? My ds was recently identified as gifted, he's finishing 2nd grade now. The school system's policy is not to test at all for gifted until the end of 2nd grade. My ds loves school work so I've gotten on the dept of education's website and given him the standards of learning (statewide tests) for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade reading (he loves to read) and he's passed all of them.

I have no idea what our school's policy is on skipping, but is it something you would consider with those scores?

I
    I
    For future readers of this thread, there is an article linked in the post to which I am replying, on the first page of this discussion thread. That link is no longer active. Fortunately, the article exists on the Way Back Machine, internet archive: Whole grade acceleration success stories (2010).

I
    I
    Originally Posted by CyndyRR327
    Wow, after reading this I'm wondering if we should consider skipping? My ds was recently identified as gifted, he's finishing 2nd grade now. The school system's policy is not to test at all for gifted until the end of 2nd grade. My ds loves school work so I've gotten on the dept of education's website and given him the standards of learning (statewide tests) for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade reading (he loves to read) and he's passed all of them.

I have no idea what our school's policy is on skipping, but is it something you would consider with those scores?
    I feel AWFUL when this happens... new member signs up... their posts may be overlooked, and therefore the new member does not receive an answer... looks like this person logged in to the forum for about a year. No one noticed their two posts, to be able to reach out to say "Welcome!" or bump their posts.
    frown
    Many here could've offered information and encouragement, if only we had known.
    Hope their child is doing well!!
    smile

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM