Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 322 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    MumofThree, I don't know that it is so much that I am disagreeing with you as realizing that there is no way to place a child who is many, many grades ahead of level in many areas at his/her instructional level and, even if there was, in order to do so, you'd wind up with putting a little kid in high school or beyond and also risking having said child have fewer opportunities as a result.

For instance, having our dd be about a year and half younger than the average kid in her grade and as much as 2+ yrs younger than some, already puts her in the position where we are not absolutely positive that she'll qualify for things like, say, National Merit semi-finals. If she were an 8th or 9th grader this year, rather than a 10th grader, all she'd have to do is show up for the PSAT in her junior year and she'd pretty much be a shoo in for NMSF. While she's pretty consistently testing at the 99th percentile on tests that give a clue as to how she'll do on the PSAT, it is possible that she'll have an "off" day and fall just a tad short.

I wouldn't *not* accelerate a kid at all in order to ensure that she wins competitions, is the valedictorian, or gets scholarships, but it is something that is in the back of my mind as we get toward the end of this K-12 journey. We've compromised. Dd is placed appropriately, like I mentioned, in her weakest subject. In her other subjects, she is placed more appropriately than she would be had she not been accelerated, but she's never really been placed at her instructional level in those areas. The quantity alone, though, of higher level work makes it such that she's busy and couldn't do more without feeling overwhelmed and without sacrificing a life outside of school.

Yes. Our DD13 is just a year ahead of Cricket's and this is precisely the trade-off we've made. She is likely to not make the cut as a national merit scholar because she had a less-than-stellar outing that particular morning, basically. Still 99th percentile, and we recently found out she's in the top 50K nationwide, but honestly, with her age cohort, she'd be more like the top 50. It's just that there is no way that we could have flexed everything else enough to keep her from severe mental health problems in the interim.

Don't get me wrong-- she's still a "stellar" student, and looks that way even if one takes her age completely out of the equation and just examines her as an 11th grader. It's just that she looks like "Ivy material" and not slack-jawed "WOW." When she sets her mind to something, though, there is a question of success... not the assumption of it. Personally, we tend to think that is a better thing in the long run.

KWIM?

As I've highlighted in bold, the real problem is that a PG child simply cannot really be placed in a routine schooling environment with true peers-- and even if they could, each of those peers has an individual profile of idiosyncratic asynchronous development that rapidly makes group instruction impossible anyway. It's a no-win situation, and you have to make the least-worst choices with the individual child in mind. smile For us, that was three skips with early entry and other differentiation tricks like enrichment, GT/advanced coursework, and home instructional environment. For another child, it would be a different mix.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by kaibab
    One concern is whether a year skip helps much. If a student is advanced by a few years, one skip doesn't offer much benefit academically. It may be worthwhile to get to a higher level sooner if another school or program fits better, but one year isn't that much different. One thing that does change with advancement tends to be workload and if you have a kid who is pushing and wanting to learn, increasing too easy school workload can interfere with time for enrichment learning at an appropriate level.

I hadn't thought about the too easy workload increase crowding out time for what he really wants to know. He's a rusher who makes silly mistakes/omits info when it comes to things he already has learned, so increasing worksheets in that department may backfire big-time for him during grading. Not what I want for him. He's very A ("A plus-plus, actually, mom!) oriented and would feel penalized by a swamp of too easy sheets.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    She is likely to not make the cut as a national merit scholar because she had a less-than-stellar outing that particular morning, basically. Still 99th percentile, and we recently found out she's in the top 50K nationwide, but honestly, with her age cohort, she'd be more like the top 50.
    Total side conversation here, but this is our first kid through high school - I thought that 99th percentile composite in your state was the cut-off for NMSF. If not, what is it?

NMSF is the top ~16K-- which is more like the top 99.7th percentile, and that is where individual state scoring norms come into play-- national merit commendation is the top 50K (99th percentile) nationwide.

In low-scoring states, the cut-line for NMSF is much lower, and may be well below the 99th percentile nationally. Our state is a bit over the median there, so a cut line of about 211-218, depending on the year. Her score is at the low end of that range. We expect that DD will miss the cut-line for semi-finalist by about a single wrong answer, basically-- she's that close.

This is her first year into the most recent skip, too-- so she didn't get a practice run at the PSAT since she skipped 10th grade. This was her first attempt at a standardized test in that kind of format.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    C
    My dd's high school wouldn't let the sophomores take the PSAT this yr due to space constraints so she didn't get the practice either frown .

OP Offline
    I hope this doesn't upset anyone responding to this thread started by KADmom , but I thought the insight given dovetails with my question.

M
    M
    Thanks everyone for the further thoughts in this thread, I've failed to convey my own thoughts very well I think... HKs first post speaks to why we did the first skip, a recent one of crickets is (sort of) why we're not keen on a second, but also pouts out a lots of things that just aren't relevant in Australia. Our DD is not back at crisis point yet, but she's scarily close for only 1 year into the skip. I am really not sure how to get her to highschool sane.

Ellemenope - our daughter really does not fit with age mates, being wih age peers was one on the major problems per skip. She's not socially or emotionally her physical age. She's most like children two years older. A lot of the reasons you list not to skip were reason why she was too different from age mates and needed a skip....

C
    C
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Ellemenope - our daughter really does not fit with age mates, being wih age peers was one on the major problems per skip. She's not socially or emotionally her physical age. She's most like children two years older. A lot of the reasons you list not to skip were reason why she was too different from age mates and needed a skip....
    That is our case as well. We've always referred to dd as an old soul. She seems more like 16 or so socially (she's 14) and three of the people she counts as her closest friends are between 17-18 and in higher grades than she. Kids in her grade pre-skip did like her and she had friends, but she fits better with older kids and is more like them in many ways than she was with her age peers. FWIW, my dd is HG not PG.

M
    M
    Our dd is also HG(+?) but not PG.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Our dd is also HG(+?) but not PG.
    Lol - yeah, there is possibly a + in there for our dd as well. She's always run a bit shy of DYS qualifications so I'm just going with something in the HG or so range.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM