Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Howard U is taking out its classics dept and the discussion on TV mentioned that all kinds of humanities are being cancelled, women's studies, African American studies et al.

That the focus is getting more and more on what gets me a job. Not to get a PhD and wait on tables.

It is sad but on the other hand we have this rising emphasis on STEM, pushing girls in STEM workshops. And grads coming out of engineering or comp sci do get jobs.

But with the shrinking humanities studies, there will be less opportunities for those that choose that path.

I wish that DD's school had more classics earlier. They do introduce latin in 8th grade, but I think there should have be more. Classics should be a requirement in high school.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I'm surprised that the TV said that the various cultural studies are also being cancelled/disbanded. I thought those were quite popular.

Unfortunately, much of what passes for the humanities today is actually activism. The difference between a truly humanistic attitude toward knowledge and activism is that a real humanist is searching for truth whereas an activist is convinced that they already know what truth is.

I
    I
    Went looking for details, nothing found yet with a web search. Not finding this on the Howard U website, either. The Howard Newsroom webpage does not mention a change in focus or cuts to humanities, no press release, no recent media coverage, no statement by the Office of University Communications: https://newsroom.howard.edu/

Therefore I'm asking you Wren, do you have a link to a source? For example, the TV discussion you saw?

A
    aeh Offline
    A

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    Multiple links to commentary - this is just one piece

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/04/19/cornel-west-howard-classics/

Though it should be noted, this is not technically about getting rid of classics at Howard, the department is being dissolved and the classes will be offered through other departments, as I understand it. Which is something being discussed in many academic classics departments, not just Howard. But the issue is distinctly different from Universities and colleges getting rid of humanities departments and classes (also not new, but perhaps accelerating)- as in the state of Wisconsin university system.

Last edited by cricket3; 04/20/21 09:04 AM.
    A
    A
    A pity. I know humanities graduates tend to have a lot of soft skills which can be in demand. They can also be good jacks of all trades. A humanities education may allow people to be more content in life and happy with their situation. They are valued for who they are rather than what they produce.

I
    I
    Thanks, cricket3.
    Unfortunately, I was unable to access the article at the link you provided but used that link to search the WayBack Machine, internet archive. Found the article there and could read it. Thanks again.

Archived article here.

Link - https://web.archive.org/web/20210420002255/https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/04/19/cornel-west-howard-classics/

W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I saw the discussion on Morning Joe. They had Eddie Glaude, Head of Princeton's African American studies making the statement about humanities being scrapped, not just the classics at Howard U.

I
    I
    Thanks, aeh.

After reading the article you linked, I skimmed the website of the Classical Studies organization.
    I saw an article on integrating transgender studies with the classics.
    This causes me to question: why not integrate gifted studies with the classics?!

A websearch shows the US percentage of the population which self-identifies as transgender: 0.58% on average, 2.77% in DC
    https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/transgender-population-by-state. Meanwhile, with 2.5% of the population identified as gifted (IQs above 130), and an even higher percentage when IQs above 120 are considered... it appears that there is a much larger number of gifted persons than trans persons (regardless of potential intersectionality).

It would be beneficial to affirm, validate, support, and protect invisible, overlooked gifted persons, for example, by including the study of gifted populations in Humanities, alongside other populations currently studied. Such efforts might increase cultural tolerance, acceptance, and inclusion of diverse, divergent, creative, out-of-the-box thinkers and thereby reduce or eliminate societal problems such as:
    1) Misdiagnoses, alienation (SENG YouTube video)

2) Suicide, alienation - https://www.sengifted.org/post/seng-s-25th-anniversary-conference-reflections-on-seng-s-history
    3) Drugs, incarceration, alienation - https://www.sengifted.org/post/at-risk-gifted

Beyond those thoughts on Humanities in general, there is concern for changing the focus of college/university offerings away from "liberal arts" and toward job training... this old post comes to mind, which links several discussion threads:
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ing_out_of_CTY_and_decre.html#Post244668

Bottom Line: Is Howard U, a top HBCU, following the best course of action for its students?

I
    I
    Originally Posted by acgoldis
    A pity. I know humanities graduates tend to have a lot of soft skills which can be in demand. They can also be good jacks of all trades. A humanities education may allow people to be more content in life and happy with their situation. They are valued for who they are rather than what they produce.
    Agreed.

A debate has been ongoing for decades: the value of liberal arts education (sometimes called classical education, or the education of free people) -vs- career-oriented education (sometimes called vocational training, or the task-oriented training traditionally given to peasants).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM