Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    ebeth Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dottie, are you as much of an expert on the WJ-III math as you are the WISC-IV? I would be happy to forward the scores to you... I have been staring at them for over an hour now, and I'm still trying to make heads or tails of them.

The other question that I had about the DYS application is that they only gave the math achievement test on the WJ III and a science subtest. Could I apply for DYS with just that and a full WISC-IV, or does he need the other WJ III subtests?

And I think that DS is only not interested in a math acceleration due to his self-doubt. He thinks that he is pretty dumb in math. (go figure... sometimes I wonder about the damage done by drilling math timed tests... but that is another issue!) I'm tempted to show him his scores in math and see if he thinks that he can handle 5th grade math at least. I'm also tempted to ask his 4th grade math teacher to give him the end of the year assessment test for 4th and see how he scores.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    I had some issues with note-taking when I was accelerated to HS at age 11. A teacher gave me some help - up to this point I just observed and recalled. She made me turn in my notes, critiqued them, then gave them back - and I got the picture.

I also recall that the teachers moved me to where I sat in the front row so they could hear me and I could see them better. This really helped.

I had a locker at the HS, but due to the issues related to going back and forth from the middle school, I got a big backpack for all my books. I had no friends at lunchtime at the HS until some football players sat down at my table.

Other than that, it was a blast.

If he can have a cohort, that will be good.

The other thing might be test taking preparation and problem solving - laying out the knowns and unknowns and THEN solving things, rather than just executing. For tests - doublechecking his answers!!

I think that if he is accelerated in a subject like science, then that will pull up his other areas as well.

ebeth Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I can't find a stand alone "science" test on the WJ-III, but there is a science subsection (28 questions) under "Academic Knowledge". It also includes Social Studies and Humanities in the final scoring. Just FYI...

The paper that we got from them on the test results says that he was given the WJ III Tests of Achievement (but only the math subsections), and the WJ Revised for the Science. They did mention that they had to dig to find a test that had a science subsection on it. They computed a separate Standard Score for the science subsection.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    There are worse things than taking a shot and being asked for more, though. And I'd think you'd have a good chance of getting him in without their requiring more. I'd say it's worth a try! Nothing to lose but your time and the cost of the postage! smile

Kriston
    ebeth Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ah...mystery partially solved, LOL! I'm surprised that they didn't do some reading tests for good measure. Acceleration in any subject should address reading, comprehension and possibly a few other areas as well.

That is a very good point, Dottie. I will have to think about that!

I have to run to pick DS up from school. If you continue to post questions, I will respond as quickly as I can. Thank you all for helping. I'm beginning to breathe again. (still confused, but at least not turning blue from hyperventilating!)

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    ebeth,

In the middle school my kids have gone to, out 7th grade science is good, but not that tough - I really believe an advanced 8 or 9 yr old could do it. I'd be surprised if my sons take more than a few lines of cryptic notes, and really that's only if it's required. If you decide to proceed with the acceleration-- remember, you can reverse it if it isn't working.

It's such a shame that time will be spent traveling to/from the other school, especially in today's age of technology. What does he miss during the traveling? I wonder if you could visit the class with your son and see what it's like (and if it's worth the trouble, stigma, etc.)

Everywhere I look there are virtual labs available free online, free podcasts of science info, tons and tons of stuff out there that no classroom teacher has time to access even a fraction of it. Yesterday I looked at the NASA website--lots of stuff. Our state Dept of Health has a lot, too. EPA website is loaded. Cogito.org. Videos--Discovery channel, planet earth BBC series, our library has many. Science experiment books. I guess what I'm trying to say is, isn't there a way to give him time, opportunity and a little proctoring to do some advanced independent work? So many things to explore, so little time.
    Mind you, I am rarely one who would shy away from an offered acceleration. Maybe your middle school and later your high school are pleasant, civilized environments...But! I just walked through our high school and got caught in the hall when the bell rang. It was Crazy. Large people, some scary and weird, and so many kids. I actually thought about my DS10 and how I couldn't imagine him going there for math class (which is what I thought about this year). Too frightening for me & I'm Old.

ebeth - I'm curious as to why they even looked for a test that had a science subsection? Did you ask for this specifically? So the science subsection is only on WJ-R? I saw, as Dottie mentioned, that the WJIII has a science/social studies combined section. Would that have not suited the purpose?

ebeth Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Cym,

Great list of resources. Thanks. I'm going to cut and paste them into a file folder I keep on gifted resources. And I agree that there are so many things to explore, and so little time. That is one reason why I hate for him to be sitting through mindless lectures on using your senses for scientific investigation, which is his current 4th grade class is doing. It is just so hard when they are caught between two very different worlds, neither of which they belong in.

And I truly don't even want to think about high school, let along walk through the hallways. Too scary for me as well!

The only plus about this proposed skip is that DS would be in a class of only 13 kids, two of which (not including DS) are skipped kids. But the teacher made it clear that she would not necessarily group them together, since she expects all of her students to interact and get along. But the school might be willing to let these three (all boys I think?) travel together in a pack through high school?

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    ebeth Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dazed

We met with the Curriculum Director over the summer in order to ask for DYS-worthy Achievement Testing. The CD took at look at his WISC-IV results before we arrived and called the Gifted Teacher for our school. The gifted teacher must have recommended a science acceleration, and went out and found this test. I really don't know why they didn't give him the rest of the WJ III. It is a mystery. I expected them to give him the full WJ III in order for us to apply to DYS.

So now I don't know whether we need to go back and ask for more testing or just apply for DYS with what we have?

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Apply with what you have, grin ! Seriously...I think his chances are excellent. Even if the reading scores came back "lower", he would probably be accepted based on the math.

Yeah! What she said!

Apply. The worst that will happen is that they'll ask for more info...which you'd have to be getting together if you didn't apply yet anyway, right? So you might save yourself some time and money by applying now. Nothing to lose.

With his scores, I feel quite confident that they won't give you a flat no. "Need more" is as bad as it gets. It's a no-lose situation!

Kriston
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM